Don't people stand by their word anymore?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'll hold for a S&M member but not a faceless kijiji person. I will hold while they take the time to drive out but I tell people unless you are willing to leave home within the next hour it's your gamble.

Sold my plow to a S&M member from the Hat, said he would be in town for easter and so I held it for the week, he came to pick it up...all good.

the guy I bought the indy from tonight had numerous calls even while I was there looking (I was the first to show) he was firm on price but I didn't have that much cash on me... he took what I had (short $125) and said I could drop the rest off next week and take the sled... not a big deal but a nice gesture... he has no Idea who I am, where I live, work, play etc...

He will have his money on monday...

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
I have been on both sides......when i hold something I get a name and a phone # and date and time of when to view/buy 1st but I keep it advertised and I make a list of names and numbers if #1 faulters a no show or no call he gets a message i moved on to #2 on my list.
When I am buying I leave my name and number and time I will be there so there is no reason to sell it out from under me and play dumb he has my number if he does he gets an azz chewing

whitegold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealing with people on Kijiji is very tricky.... there are so many scams on there that I would never give a deposit for anything on there.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been on both sides......when i hold something I get a name and a phone # and date and time of when to view/buy 1st but I keep it advertised and I make a list of names and numbers if #1 faulters a no show or no call he gets a message i moved on to #2 on my list.
When I am buying I leave my name and number and time I will be there so there is no reason to sell it out from under me and play dumb he has my number if he does he gets an azz chewing

Exactly. The next one in line gets the call if the first backs out. I tell them that it is tentatively sold, BUT if the guy defaults in any way, it's theirs. I keep it for sale until cash is in my hand.
I will hold the product for someone until they get there. If they are late and don't call... too bad...so sad.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just figured I'd bring this old thread back to life, cause it happened to me today. I spoke with the guy last night, agreed on a price, and agreed on a time to meet in Edmonton this afternoon. So after doing a lien search ($16.75), driving 150km in the snow and crap, and leaving 2 voice mails an hour apart, he finally calls me back to give me some dog and pony bullsh!t story about how his wife sold it without him knowing ...blah blah blah. If you want to sell it to somebody else, no worries, just have the balls to let me know before I go wasting my entire day, 300km on my truck, a bunch of fuel, etc. The worst part is that it wasn't just a Kijiji douchebag, well, actually he is a Kijiji douchebag, but he's also a member on this site. So, GENERALly speaking, :kissass:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Exactly. The next one in line gets the call if the first backs out. I tell them that it is tentatively sold, BUT if the guy defaults in any way, it's theirs. I keep it for sale until cash is in my hand.
I will hold the product for someone until they get there. If they are late and don't call... too bad...so sad.

Ever notice the 2nd ALWAYS steps up to the plate and is always the guy that comes running the fastest with money in his hand.......Hmmmmm I think me gots an idear

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is most annoying..why can't they just be honest and say sorry I can't hold it for you!!

Last year during seeding I found a 5th wheel up north of Edm, had a friend of ours that we trust completely go check it out, called the guy, made an offer, he accepted, offered to have friend make a deposit for me until I could find a truck to use since ours are all full of slip tanks and have ball hitches for stock trailers. Guys says when can you come?, I said tomorrow early AM. He says its ok no deposit it will be here. Got directions, borrowed our friends truck with the regular 5th wheel hitch in it DROVE to Edm to find out it was gone last night...what a douce!! I know why people are paranoid..so many have no accountabitly anymore!

We sold our old 5th wheel on kijiji and a really nice old couple came looked, said they would take it and could we just take a deposit and hold it until their taxes came back. Nice older couple, we just said..we will just hold it and you can pay it all to us when you get your money inline. Not so trusting (now I understand why) they called me 2x a day to see if i was still holding it! I told them between, seeding and all over AB for baseball I have no time to let anyone else see it..still called me daily LOL They came 2 weeks later, took home a nice 5th wheel, even threw in our campstove 3 burner thing. Had a good laugh at how you just can't trust someone's word anymore...

Sad really when ya think about it ;)

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had two deals on land fall apart in the Lacombe area, with people that know my parents well.... Was willing to give money down on both deals with legal signed papers in my hands. Was told that a hand shake deal is still good in their books, no need for money or legal signed papers.

Never again will a deal be done in my books with out money and signed papers for anything worth $$$$:realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

munhoez

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In a Dakota R/T, down by the South Sask. River
what ever happened to common sense, if u want sumthin, u found that sumthin, u called the number about that sumthin, talked a little, day later,oh sh!t i cant make the trip/dont have the proper funds/forgot to clear it with the better half

Simple= just phone the seller back and let him know ur situation, taking the sumthin or not

I sold this little jr50 kids dirtbike to the 2nd couple that looked at it, the 1st interested fellow, wanted it on the phone badly and sed he'd come in two days,only a day and a half blew by, he couldnt get the funds allocated, and asked if there was any other lookers, and explained his situation, and stated he couldnt make the buy.
Told me to sell it to the nxt interested peep. and so i did. Now if only all peeps where this cool.

" I only have 2 things in this world, my balls and my word. And i dont break them for anyone"--Tony Montana

Ushkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First come first serve. Selling my mud grapplers and rims had so many ill be there tomorrow by 4pm or whatever. Waste of my time. You show up and dont have cash on hand then ill give you the day to get it then back up on kijiji. S&M members im sure would have a little longer. When i sold my bimmer i had at least 10 sixteen year old kids show up and say they would go get the money and then come back with enough for the rear tire. First with cash in hand is the only word from kijiji buyers.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been burned from both ends. Had someone commit to buying my sled from kijiji, said he was coming from calgary the next day so said i'd hold it. 30 mins before he was suppose to show up he phones me and says he's on his way back to calgary and bought another sled. He obviously knew a LONG time before then he was buying something else. Was pretty pissed had it all out and ready to go, bill of sale everything to make it quick for him.

Not all buyers are deadbeats or sellers but it's just to tough to trust them.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a member on here recently not live up to his word, involving a purchase. mislead about milage, some extra parts, and the guy is starting a sled shop in edmonton. Its at the end of the day my money, my fault, no one else to blame. should have stayed with people I have a relationship with and trust. I will spend more money to not deal with that individual again.

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Though this can go both ways. I had two Summitt 800's for sale and some guy from Ponoka said he'd take 'em. I told him that if someone wanted them before he came, I'd sell. He agreed.

Sure enough, another dude showed up and picked 'em up just like that. I called 3 times to let him know they've been sold, and left messages. He still showed up and got pissed. We had an agreement, they where picked up, I let him know. It was his own fault for not looking at his phone.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda makes ya wanna get the 67 yr old vet to go kick some of these guys asses...

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Wifes been saving for a bulldog
For 6 months. Se had her eye on one on Kijiji which was 2500. After a few weeks te add got updated to 2000 for the remaining 3 puppies. My wife emailed offered 1800 for a perticular one. Offer accepted. Email Money transfer sent for deposit of 500. Upon waiting for meet up instructions the lady tells my wife she changed her
Mind about the deal and sent her the 500 dollars back. Total deviatation to my wife who is now in tears b. Two days later the add is updated with only one puppy left. Now that just freAken Pisses me off.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
My Wifes been saving for a bulldog
For 6 months. Se had her eye on one on Kijiji which was 2500. After a few weeks te add got updated to 2000 for the remaining 3 puppies. My wife emailed offered 1800 for a perticular one. Offer accepted. Email Money transfer sent for deposit of 500. Upon waiting for meet up instructions the lady tells my wife she changed her
Mind about the deal and sent her the 500 dollars back. Total deviatation to my wife who is now in tears b. Two days later the add is updated with only one puppy left. Now that just freAken Pisses me off.

Too bad you weren't selling a princess bed....

When I was selling the little girls bed I had crazy offers and one was to trade the bed for 2 purebread bulldog puppies!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

hbar218

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many times have you had someone call and say i will be there at 3:00 and they don't show or phone? Plan your day around some dicknibbler and they don't show up. I have had it happen lots . Being a man of your word is only good when dealing with the same type of person.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been waiting 4 months for the parts promised when I bought my sled from Snow and Mud member in St. Paul. He must have mailed them 5 times by now.:rant:

You can see from my sig line how I feel about the sled. Won't EVER buy a sled in the off season again. Second S&Mer to screw me over this year.:nono:

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's brutal, Uturn, especially when your part of a public forum, just goes to show that some azzhats have to put themselves right in the spot light, and make sure the whole world is watching....then show everyone how much of a dick they can be.
You should publish there names, they are hoping that your integrity will keep you from typing there names. Turn-about is fair play my friend....give them the integrity they gave you.
Probly won't solve anything, but it'll sure make you feel better.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, that's brutal, Uturn, especially when your part of a public forum, just goes to show that some azzhats have to put themselves right in the spot light, and make sure the whole world is watching....then show everyone how much of a dick they can be.
You should publish there names, they are hoping that your integrity will keep you from typing there names. Turn-about is fair play my friend....give them the integrity they gave you.
Probly won't solve anything, but it'll sure make you feel better.

I'd like nothing more than to publish his name, but then it would be likely that a Moderator would have to pull my post or close the thread. It sucks when the guy who screws you over gets treated better??:eek:

Anyone from St. Paul want to go knock on his door?:d

Top Bottom