Don't people stand by their word anymore?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another Kijiji rant. If I agree to sell something it's sold, even if someone else comes along with a higher offer. I agreed to buy some Superclamps from a dude last night. Phone him today to get directions to his house and he's sold them 1/2 hr after I talked to him. WTH? Don't people stand by their word anymore? I dunno, I must be old fashioned that way I guess. End of rant.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another Kijiji rant. If I agree to sell something it's sold, even if someone else comes along with a higher offer. I agreed to buy some Superclamps from a dude last night. Phone him today to get directions to his house and he's sold them 1/2 hr after I talked to him. WTH? Don't people stand by their word anymore? I dunno, I must be old fashioned that way I guess. End of rant.

Not much for consideration in the younger generation it seems (if it was a younger fellow)....

Nice about selling on S&M is that there is respect within the membership!!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just had a dude do the same to me from kijiji....he had an air compressor for sale and i contacted him and told him i would take it, but wouldn't be in the city until a few days later as i was going to a hockey game and would pick it up then. he said no sweat and would hold onto it for me. i get to the city and call him, he sold it. dickhead...

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like playing Devil's Advocate, but I sell a lot of stuff on Kijiji, and if I had a dollar for everytime somebody said they would take it, I would be in pretty good shape. Truth is, it's really easy for somebody to say they want it, and never show up. Meanwhile somebody else actually wants it, but you tell them it's sold, so you lose a deal from them as well. I would like to be able to hold stuff for people, but I've been screwed many times, so the first one with the cash takes the prize.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like playing Devil's Advocate, but I sell a lot of stuff on Kijiji, and if I had a dollar for everytime somebody said they would take it, I would be in pretty good shape. Truth is, it's really easy for somebody to say they want it, and never show up. Meanwhile somebody else actually wants it, but you tell them it's sold, so you lose a deal from them as well. I would like to be able to hold stuff for people, but I've been screwed many times, so the first one with the cash takes the prize.
so if you told someone you would hold it for a certain date, and sold it before finding out the guy wasn't going to show....that's cool? not in my world

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so if you told someone you would hold it for a certain date, and sold it before finding out the guy wasn't going to show....that's cool? not in my world

Nope, that wouldn't be cool. If he didn't have intentions of holding true to his words, he shouldn't have said that he would...that I agree with 100%. I just don't like to get myself in those situations when I'm selling something, so I tell people flat out...can't hold it. If I know somebody is coming for sure, I'll try to be as accomodating as possible, but its happened to me too many times to beleive all the people all the time.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This particular fugtard said he would hold them until next Wed. I even offered to Paypal a deposit. Oh well, in the larger scene it's really about as important as an itchy testicle.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Sold a sled two years ago and guy saw it and really wanted it (off of Kijji), offered a deposit and I declined but held it for two weeks while he finished his time on a rig. He stopped by while I was sledding in BC, paid for it and left with the sled. I even called when I got back to make sure he was happy -- he was thrilled.
My word is all I have some days so there is no way I'm not going to keep it.

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The whole frickin' world gone to pot.
The guys saying they'll buy it....... and never show up.
The people saying they'll hold it, and sell it 10 minutes later.

A man stands by his word and a handshakes good enough........................ gone out the window with not having to lock yer doors.
We used to go on vacation without locking up, now you can't sit in your back yard without locking the house.
Where's that damn death penalty when you need it :)

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it has happened to everyone that does a fair bit of dealing on Kijiji. I went to look at a trailer at 5 o\clock on a Friday afternoon, I agreed to pay the full asking price with a certified cheque, the seller wanted cash. It would have been a big hassle to get all the cash out of ATM's so he offered to hold the trailer for me until Monday, I offered to leave him a cash deposit as a good faith gesture and he said no that's OK I know you'll come back for it.
Anyways I get a text on Sunday afternoon that he sold the trailer and he was sorry. :rant:

WTF a text? Gutless wonder didn't even have the balls to phone me and tell me like a man. Had to chicken sheet out and text me. I phoned him and all he could say was that he sold it to someone else...GEE do you think the other guy offered to pay more than asking price.

Anyways Karma is a beach and someday a deal will go sour for him...fingers crossed

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've sold stuff on Kijiji and if I have someone coming out to look at the item, I will tell the following callers that if the first person doesn't take it, then I will call them and then they can have next dibs and so on. It's worked well for me so far, but I wouldn't tell someone I would hold it, and then sell it out from under them. Thats just cheesy, I don't blame you for being P'od

Work2Ride

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If buddy called me and said I would be in Wednesday to pick it up, I'd be alright sounds good. If someone else called said they were interested I would tell them I have somebody coming by Wednesday to look at it. If they don't buy it, you'll be the first one I call.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most stuff I won't hold, I tell people first one with cash gets it, very rare that I will hold anything anymore, to many times people don't show.

My XP I just sold was off here actually and he came from B.C like 10 hours away, of course I had to hold it, someone actually phoned me though and was like "umm who cares just sell it to me" :rolleyes: But I had another guy, haggled over emails agreed on a price said he'd phone me in the morning, nothing, next day I get a email saying to phone him tomorrow. So I do and it was obvious it was just some kid who had no money and his dad was like "o well maybe we'll come look at it". Told him he could come buy it for the agreed price in the next 2 days or forget it.

I am nervous about holding stuff though, because you can miss out on a deal if they don't show and then be stuck with something for weeks before another buyer comes along. Little stuff isn't a big deal, but big ticket items are.

If someone just says they want to "look at it", it's whoever comes first. If you don't commit to buying 100% sure, I will gladly let someone else look and buy it first.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you that guy that offers to come get stuff for free on Kijiji? (ya...like there's just ONE)

JBDoo

Reaction score
It's hard to find people who stick to there word. That said I've been lucky in all my kijiji deals. I collect Suzuki Samurais and have bought close to 15 of them on kijiji in the last 3 years. My usual thing to do is to offer a few hundred more than the asking price if the deal is good enough, knowing that it will be a couple days before I can be there to get it. I haven't been burned yet. I bought my Mach Z in Northbattleford Sask a couple weeks ago and the guy held it for me for 4 days...that was pretty good of him IMO, it would have sucked to drive 6 hrs and it be gone....lol But as we speak I'm still waiting on a guy to come here a buy a $1000 Suzuki pick up. He's backed out of getting 3 days in a row and I've turned away 3 or 4 guys. One more day and it's back on kijiji.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen years ago. A guy I worked with had a 20' Zodiac with a 30hp outboard for sale. I made him an offer, he accepted, I drove out to get the unit the same day and he just sold it to someone else for more money.

3 days later the new owner sunk it in the Bowron River. It's still there.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if this is a new thing or not but i just discovered "e-mail money transfer". i used it to buy some klim gear from kijiji in calgary. uses your e-mail and online banking. very safe if you trust the person on the other end! from now on if someone tells me they will buy my kijiji item sight unseen and can't be there for a few days i will request this as a deposit, and instead of paying by cheque this is a great alternative as it is 24hrs a day.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just had a dude do the same to me from kijiji....he had an air compressor for sale and i contacted him and told him i would take it, but wouldn't be in the city until a few days later as i was going to a hockey game and would pick it up then. he said no sweat and would hold onto it for me. i get to the city and call him, he sold it. dickhead...

Man that sucks. What kind of compressor? I just bought a decent 3 stage off of there from a shop closing down. Hope I didnt buy the one u wanted.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man that sucks. What kind of compressor? I just bought a decent 3 stage off of there from a shop closing down. Hope I didnt buy the one u wanted.
nah, it was a small one Steve. I called him something like 7 minutes after he posted the ad. thought I had scored....someone must have talked him out of it I guess.

Top Bottom