Doing drops

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Last year I came across basically a small bank. It had a tinny cornice on the top and was about a 10-12' drop. I was looking at it and really wanted to try going over it. I was worried I would lawn dart it so I backed off. I am curious. What is the correct way to do such a drop. Is it different if you are going to land flat or land on a down slope? Do you gun it right before to leave the top? Or consistent speed and just drive over. Do you lean back?:sled1:I hope to really improve this year. Both Katie and I have so much to learn but are having a blast in the process. This is about my comfort level right now. I thought it was much higher than the video shows LOL. 032c2b71.mp4 Video by HHighfly | Photobucket

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit up a "Ride with Chris Brown" session and you'll get even MORE than what you even wanted to know or learn. BEST thing my son and I ever did! You wouldnt be disappointed...

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hit up a "Ride with Chris Brown" session and you'll get even MORE than what you even wanted to know or learn. BEST thing my son and I ever did! You wouldnt be disappointed...
Would love to but not even close to being in my budget. :ohwell:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on how long you are in the air for but your sled can be controlled mid flight with throttle or brake. If you want the front end to come up gun the gas. If you need the front end to drop down hit the brakes. With a sled you always want to be on the gas when your sled hits the snow or it is like a dead stop landing and your body will try to eject forward off the sled. For small little drops I usually just stay on the gas all the way through it. One of those things, practice makes perfect you will get the hang of it. Start small and work your way up to the bigger stuff.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yea, be on the throttle going off the drop to keep from endoing off the drop. then in the air you can control your flight with your throttle and brake. start small and work your way up. sloped landings are much better for you and your machine then a flat landing. scope out your run away before dropping, making sure you have a path to run out, and not gonna land into some trees, rocks, sleds or another drop.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roll up with a bit of speed, blip the throttle as your skis get up to the edge so you don't nose dive, hit the throttle just before you land.

Check your run out as it takes a bit before you can turn to avoid obstacles after you land.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every drop is different, start small. You definatly want to land on a slope for bigger drops or you'll break your back. Most of the bigger drops you see in the vids they prep the take off and usually build a little kicker.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is at Allan creek
http://youtu.be/rtHIFlCK46Q
You can kinda see the throttle in vid.
Short tracked machines in the 150's are very forgiving in flight. Let go of throttle machine front will dive. Full throttle machine will point to the sky. Start on the small side of the lip and keep working to the bigger stuff.
I went to 174 this past season and drops were scary sh!t on that long thing. to long to correct for bad take offs in flight. I will be ride a 163 this season hope it flys as good as my 155 did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! I knew I could count on all of you for some awesome advice.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! I knew I could count on all of you for some awesome advice.

goose er !!!!! I freakin learned the hard way to scope out my landing.. a flat landing is bad... very very bad.. a nice decline on the slope is cake.. blast of throttle off that puppy and you're good to go.. if it's a flat landing.. don't do it man, scope another. ooo and I sing... at the top of my lungs, and sometimes do the Xena war cry. :D :D :D My husband and I, I'm on the right.. my landing spot was a bit bouncy

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always check out what's on the other side first. I was shooting a video of a buddy doing a small drop and worried the whole time someone would come over on top of me. For the older crowd I think a tekvest and shin guards are a good idea.

Throttle*Queen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend attempted this in April (went a little too big too fast) and he landed track first and the compression of his landing broke his back. He was paralyzed for a day and a half before they did surgery to repair. HE is one lucky guy, walking again now but has a lot of nerve damage yet to lower back and legs. Not trying to scare you but always scope out your jump first and start slow and gradually go for the bigger jumps. I have the video of my friend doing this jump and it makes me sick everytime to listen to the crunch of his landing and see him laying there after.
Be careful! But always have fun! Cant wait for the snow.

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks again all. Yes very important to know the risks and as they say learn from others mistakes. I wish your friend a 100% recovery. That video Dragon posted is a huge help. Cant really see throttle position but I can hear the engine. if I picture is worth a thousand words, what is a video worth :)

Top Bottom