Do you wear your tether?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen sleds blow up running full pinned upside down while the rider tries to scramble back and shut them off. Seen and heard of several sleds that have taking off with throttle pinned by snow smashing into trees or ice, sleds totalled. It no big deal to put your tether on every time.

Attachments

• P1250010.jpg
    P1250010.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 132

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not to sure about attaching mine now, the crap i ride in i am sure it would hook a lot. Towing a sled out would be brutal if not impossible.

what kind of sled do you ride? cause if its not a doo if you lose the teather you just unplug the back.

always buried

Reaction score
wearing a teather attached to you or to your handle bars as I do really comes down to personal preference id say, I run a carb 800, shuts off when upside down in a tree well, will never wear it attached to myself. (really sucks having it caught on a tree branch in a techy side hill or in deep pow when power is a must have an a dead sled can hurt an cost major $$$.) most of the newer efi sleds arte programed to shut down in some sorta time frame when at idle or held wide open with no load. a well those who who don't attach it to the handle bars or person, an loose a key in the snow, well that's just plain rook ! an borderline stupity in my eyes, always do your best not to ruin your friends day out there !

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't get why people won't wear tethers cause their afraid it will hook on a tree. I've never had my tether snag a tree branch, and if it did, so what? I'd rather dig once in a while then end up loosing a body part.

Sent from a iPhone

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just watched that video again ('cuz I'm bored). I think he WAS wearing his tether! Take a real close look at his left wrist while he's laying under the sled. :confused:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just watched that video again ('cuz I'm bored). I think he WAS wearing his tether! Take a real close look at his left wrist while he's laying under the sled. :confused:

Nope it's just the pull string on his glove

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth-air?

The old teth-air design would have shut off the machine by simply covering the transmitter tag or by burying your arm in the snow. The new design has a roll over switch that works off your avy beacon. I asked this same question just recently and this was the reply that I got.

chrishew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a tether on my Pro earlier this season. I heard a story of a very experienced rider earlier this year that went out for a quick rip by himself (which isn't the best practice either but I have done it many times as well). Anyways he was doing some jumps and same thing, flipped the sled and throttle pinned except he was sucked in between the track and the tunnel by a very tender area. He nearly bled out before he could ride back down and needed surgery to reconstruct much of his manhood. That was enough for me to invest in one.
On the other side of the argument there has been video of the downside of a tether. 3 guys that were burried by an avalanche that broke above where they were sitting and you can see them panicking to start there sled but all forgot to reattach there tehters before they are swept over by the rolling snow. I know I forget to reattach it all the time when I go to leave a parking spot so I can imagine when your in a real rush not something you would want to have to remember or fumble with.
To each there own but always be aware of where you are stopping and what kind of dangers can be around you.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a teth air and would never go back to a corded tether as I always had it caught in the bars. Set up properly if you are thrown as far away as the guy was the sled is off when it comes down. Tethers are a must weather it be corded or not.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a tether on my Pro earlier this season. I heard a story of a very experienced rider earlier this year that went out for a quick rip by himself (which isn't the best practice either but I have done it many times as well). Anyways he was doing some jumps and same thing, flipped the sled and throttle pinned except he was sucked in between the track and the tunnel by a very tender area. He nearly bled out before he could ride back down and needed surgery to reconstruct much of his manhood. That was enough for me to invest in one.
On the other side of the argument there has been video of the downside of a tether. 3 guys that were burried by an avalanche that broke above where they were sitting and you can see them panicking to start there sled but all forgot to reattach there tehters before they are swept over by the rolling snow. I know I forget to reattach it all the time when I go to leave a parking spot so I can imagine when your in a real rush not something you would want to have to remember or fumble with.
To each there own but always be aware of where you are stopping and what kind of dangers can be around you.

I wear mine on my wrist so it never comes unplugged from the sled unless I fall off. When I stop I just slide it off my wrist and slide it over the end of the bar. I used to clip it to my jacket but was always fumbling to attach it or remove it so the wrist is much easier.

Tompa

Reaction score
Here's a photo recently taken at the hospital, And still a long way to go.

(Photo) Courtesy of the person that saved his buddys life.
b52903.jpg

--Never Ride Alone--

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats a nasty injury. Sleepin must be a bitch. Looks like someone just peeled the skin off,,,,,thats gotta be skin graft surgeries?? Hopefully no infections bud,,,,get bettr

Paul2727

Reaction score
Several years ago, after a minor get-off while boon-docking, I watched my track go by at 90 mph, about 6 inches from my face. Couldn't move. My carb'ed machine finally stopped about the same time my riding buddy arrived.

Since I'm not what I consider "a lucky guy", I don't think I'd survive the same move a second time, so I installed a Pro-Armor on my steering column and wear it every ride.

Top Bottom