Do you wear your tether?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never wore one in the past 20
Years of sledding. Plan to do a teth air as I do see the need for them.

Assaulter13

Reaction score
This is a timely thread for me. My sled came without a tether but I ordered one today after what I witnessed yesterday.

A group of us were in a mountain meadow when one of our party came off his sled after dropping down into a creek bed. The throttle stuck wide open and the sled took off at 9-0. It ripped across the meadow spending as much time in the air as it was on the ground until it finally came to another creek bank that launched it a good 20 feet in the air and 50 feet from the creek bank. The sled landed upside down, buried - except for the track still spinning 100 mph. We finally dug down and got the thing shutdown. It was some scary chit. Just digging down to get to the kill switch through hard pack was intimidating with the sled still running wide open. Yuck.

The rider was fine - the sled not so much, it was tweaked all over the place, gonna be some expensive repairs by the time all is said and done.

I won't ride without a tether again.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you attach the tether to?

I was on a friends sled, eyeing up a climb, and didn't watch where I was going. I fell into a creek hole and fell backwards and off to the side. My left foot activated his lefty throttle, and my head was right at the track. Luckily I had the tether and pulled it off. My head and arm almost got sucked into the track.

never thought of that, but you are right! Can't imagine the outcome otherwise. *shudder*

I've been guilty of not wearing it here and there, but have tried to make it a habit. I did have an issue on the XM with the tether cord getting hung up on the bars tho, wonder if there's a way I can alleviate that. Could be potentially dangerous if I'm side hilling in trees and my key accidently gets ripped off...

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear mine religiously but I am not a big fan of the "new wave" that BRP has out as they don't stand up to very many disconnects. I get very p*ssed at the little beeping and the many times I have to push to get it re-set sort of thing.

Here is what I am looking at next year. I want something different and for those that like the sled brands without tethers here is an alternative.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000P6BYFY

http://www.bikebandi...ies-kill-switch

Be careful with the pingle I have heard of a situation where ice formed around the bottom and when the pin was pulled the cap didn't retract and the sled went for an expensive ride at WOT.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy was going up a hill in Revy, and got bucked off going by a tree, he fell in the tree well, and the sled backed over the hole that he fell in stopping with the exhaust over top of the hole and was idling away. By the time we realized he was in trouble and got to him, he was fairly gassed (another reason not to ride alone). He was pretty much done for the rest of the day, his lungs and eyes were burning, and he had a wicked headache.

tstams

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.crashheadz.com
I never where my tether yes that is a terrible accident and shows why you should where it but allways have a fear of the tether coming out during a climb and the sled shutting off to me that is more likely to happen then what happened there
Glad to see he is ok!!!

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I never where my tether yes that is a terrible accident and shows why you should where it but allways have a fear of the tether coming out during a climb and the sled shutting off to me that is more likely to happen then what happened there
Glad to see he is ok!!!

Your an idiot WEAR YOUR TETHER!!! Don't be an idiot, don't wear it on your wrist either! Attach it to your jacket or pants. I have never had mine accidentally pull free while climbing it is next to impossible, your chances of getting seriously hurt, killed or killing a good friend are higher then it killing your engine by mistake. Placement is key as yes it's a pin in the ass if it gets wrapped around your bars when your trying to ride. It needs to be as far away from your bars as possible and as close to your attach point as you can get it. As I stated above mine has saved my life several times.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you attach the tether to?

I was on a friends sled, eyeing up a climb, and didn't watch where I was going. I fell into a creek hole and fell backwards and off to the side. My left foot activated his lefty throttle, and my head was right at the track. Luckily I had the tether and pulled it off. My head and arm almost got sucked into the track.

I have a D ring in my Snowpulse Protect Vest that I have a carabeaner and key ring attached to that I clip the tether to. I used to rock a lanyard that I attached the tether to that allowed more slack that I will be going back to for next season. I never got hung up on the bars with that set up

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your an idiot WEAR YOUR TETHER!!! Don't be an idiot, don't wear it on your wrist either! Attach it to your jacket or pants. I have never had mine accidentally pull free while climbing it is next to impossible, your chances of getting seriously hurt, killed or killing a good friend are higher then it killing your engine by mistake. Placement is key as yes it's a pin in the ass if it gets wrapped around your bars when your trying to ride. It needs to be as far away from your bars as possible and as close to your attach point as you can get it. As I stated above mine has saved my life several times.

I have to agree with E-Zmoke on that tstams, not calling you an idiot but more often than not the tether does good

I can attest to that. The day in eagles ur sled flipped upside down in the tree by you had the potential to hurt you should you not have had your tether on.

I myself have had numerous situations that could have gone real bad if I didn't have my tether on. I'm an advocate of wearing it.

Last edited:

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is a teth air going to work when your sucked into the track? thats pretty close range.

hard to say, so many other things can go wrong also that cant be prevented in a sport like this. Can your body not get to the track while it is spinning while the tether coil is still attached with it stretched and your arm length etc? It is an added precaution but not a fail safe piece of equipment. Anything is better than nothing

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another reason to not attach a tether to your arm. Your free arm can pull on the cord.

hard to say, so many other things can go wrong also that cant be prevented in a sport like this. Can your body not get to the track while it is spinning while the tether coil is still attached with it stretched and your arm length etc? It is an added precaution but not a fail safe piece of equipment. Anything is better than nothing

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sent an email to three riding buddies that don't wear tethers. I included the link to the video.

I just had a frozen (left hand) throttle runaway on Sunday...I tried to hit the kill switch, but it is a Cat with the stupid rocker switch setup and I wasn’t able to kill it. I bailed off the back so the tether would stop it; sled ended up in a tree well but it would have been a lot worse without the tether.

unimog

Reaction score
Wear a tether choked on my wrist no problems pulling it when is trouble.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started wearing my tether religiously this past year. At first it was to make sure the sled didn't run off WOT or stop it from running when it's flipped. There was a story earlier this year, I think, about someone getting their arm caught in the track.
I have a small carabiner on mine so it's easier to clip on and off the d-ring on my jacket with gloves. I don't even notice it when I'm riding. Every now and then I forget it's attached and walk away from the sled.
Tethers should be factory installed. Don't forget to test the tether once in a while. My wiring either came loose or I disconnected it when I did my top end rebuild.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started wearing my tether religiously this past year. At first it was to make sure the sled didn't run off WOT or stop it from running when it's flipped. There was a story earlier this year, I think, about someone getting their arm caught in the track.
I have a small carabiner on mine so it's easier to clip on and off the d-ring on my jacket with gloves. I don't even notice it when I'm riding. Every now and then I forget it's attached and walk away from the sled.
Tethers should be factory installed. Don't forget to test the tether once in a while. My wiring either came loose or I disconnected it when I did my top end rebuild.
I do this ALL THE TIME!! Nothing like getting a spring loading smack in the back of the leg with the tether.

Top Bottom