Do you wear your tether?

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been wearing mine religiously since about 11 or 12 years ago. Had an episode where I ended up with my leg pinned under the track and couldn't get it out and it was turning at a pretty good clip. By the time I got the tether yanked, it looked like a top fuel car did a burnout on my pant leg on my shin. Somehow the throttle was stuck in the snow and holding it above engagement. I can't believe they sell sleds without them as standard equipment.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I was under the impression that sled drag races and motor bike races had to have a tethered machine.

Does anyone know about the Jackson Hole hill climb and whether or not a tether is required?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I drag raced my R1, it had to have a tether, and when BC had its hillclimb racing circuit a tether was also required.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pic of Jay Mentaberry from Jackson and he has his tether on.

tether.jpg

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression that sled drag races and motor bike races had to have a tethered machine.

Does anyone know about the Jackson Hole hill climb and whether or not a tether is required?

Tether is absolutely required. Most forms of racing follow ISR rules mandating it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Never used to wear a tether unless we were racing..... But the last 2 years i wear it religiously, since i once put my rt1000 upside down above me, and i was in a treewell.... They're fuel injected, so it just stays running, even upside down for a long time ;)

my son now wears one, since he had a close call a year ago as well, and this past weekend had several other close calls(he loves jumps and drops), but since he now wears the tether, no issues........

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the best place to locate a cat and polaris one is by the gas cap? and attach to your jacket d ring? cause thats why i did and it seems well protected from trees and branches.

So no one thinks the water craft style is the way to go? on your bars and attached to your arm???

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the best place to locate a cat and polaris one is by the gas cap? and attach to your jacket d ring? cause thats why i did and it seems well protected from trees and branches.

So no one thinks the water craft style is the way to go? on your bars and attached to your arm???
That's where put mine on my Pro, except I put it just off to one side of the gas cap, not in the middle. I tend to blindly reach down to use the controls for the hand warmers and was worried I would hit the tether accidentally.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear mine religiously but I am not a big fan of the "new wave" that BRP has out as they don't stand up to very many disconnects. I get very p*ssed at the little beeping and the many times I have to push to get it re-set sort of thing.

Here is what I am looking at next year. I want something different and for those that like the sled brands without tethers here is an alternative.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000P6BYFY

http://www.bikebandi...ies-kill-switch

Mine was like that so I took it to the dealer and they replaced the key under warranty. It a safety issue so get it fixed

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
never was in a situation where you'de need one. Then my buddy flipped his sled in deep power on a side hill, throttle stuck wide open by snow packing in between the bars and lever. luckily stopped rolling with tack in air. had it kept rolling, bad news for him or the ultimate ghost ride. no injuries, but couldn't have been good revving 10K upside down for half a minute.

fluke right? next trip, exact same thing happens to me. WTF. tether next year.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a tether story for you. This is a wear your tether gone bad one to boot. We took our group on the BRP Kuster ride at CKMP this year and all day we were in snowy weather with 3ft of light pow. Its near the end of the day and we are somewhere in the back end of Eagles Pass in one of Carls honey holes and we decide to head back. One of our guys had fallen in a bit of a hole and was stuck so we helped him get out. He hooks up his DESS key pulls the rope and...........zing! Catches the tether on something and its gone............in 3 ft of pow! We sifted through snow, we looked up trees, we even reinacted the crime and tried to narrow down the location. Ten guys! No dice. So we figure we will double the guy out and come back with a computer and program a new key on the hill ......in the dark. But Carl isn't sure if his computer that is in his shop will do the job. Now what? We decide to tow the sled out because Carl needs the sled for tomorrow's dealer group coming in the next day. Carl guides us out of the gnarlies through the trees giving us no more than a 5-10 degree incline all the way but with some wild downhill tobaggan runs. We got it out in the dark. Long story short the computer didn't work so we had to haul the unit to Revy that night where our tech had unbelievably brought his shop laptop, programmed a new key and had the sled back to Carl by 8am the next morning. Moral of the story............................always wear your tether. But carry a damn spare! Lol.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a tether story for you. This is a wear your tether gone bad one to boot. We took our group on the BRP Kuster ride at CKMP this year and all day we were in snowy weather with 3ft of light pow. Its near the end of the day and we are somewhere in the back end of Eagles Pass in one of Carls honey holes and we decide to head back. One of our guys had fallen in a bit of a hole and was stuck so we helped him get out. He hooks up his DESS key pulls the rope and...........zing! Catches the tether on something and its gone............in 3 ft of pow! We sifted through snow, we looked up trees, we even reinacted the crime and tried to narrow down the location. Ten guys! No dice. So we figure we will double the guy out and come back with a computer and program a new key on the hill ......in the dark. But Carl isn't sure if his computer that is in his shop will do the job. Now what? We decide to tow the sled out because Carl needs the sled for tomorrow's dealer group coming in the next day. Carl guides us out of the gnarlies through the trees giving us no more than a 5-10 degree incline all the way but with some wild downhill tobaggan runs. We got it out in the dark. Long story short the computer didn't work so we had to haul the unit to Revy that night where our tech had unbelievably brought his shop laptop, programmed a new key and had the sled back to Carl by 8am the next morning. Moral of the story............................always wear your tether. But carry a damn spare! Lol.
Wowsers!!!!! I would have been pissed too!!!! But...... ONLY Doo has the Dess. If I lost my tether in the snow, I know how to disconnect mine. Because I had to install it..... Factory scratchers, but no tether :confused:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My honest humble opinion....... If your not going to wear a tether, why wear a beacon??? Without both of them, you can kill a person or yourself. Why take that chance??? JMHHO

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He should program all his sleds to work with one spare tether and keep it on him. I know a group of 4 that had their sleds accept each other's tethers. good idea

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He should program all his sleds to work with one spare tether and keep it on him. I know a group of 4 that had their sleds accept each other's tethers. good idea

We did bring that up.....HaHa.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My honest humble opinion....... If your not going to wear a tether, why wear a beacon??? Without both of them, you can kill a person or yourself. Why take that chance??? JMHHO
Come on QT! Little overdramatic don't you think? 17years of sleading never had one and 95% of my buddies don't either, in all my days never seen someone KILLED because they didn't have one. What's next " the boy in the plastic bubble" Iron Man outerwear? This is a dangerous sport with risks. But I have seen sooooo many problems with those DESS keys, no thanks. Ever been in the trees with your cord hanging there? talk about sketchy, maybe that cordless one, but never seen one in action, leashes are for dogs! Now a beacon.........whole new topic. You would never believe how many guys I see with no packs or beacons? But to say " if you are not going to wear a tether, why wear a beacon is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am not to sure about attaching mine now, the crap i ride in i am sure it would hook a lot. Towing a sled out would be brutal if not impossible.

Top Bottom