Do you ever use reverse on steep critical downhills?

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a bitch and don't ride steep enough terrain but I've never done this. I set all my sleds up to have pretty good engine braking and generally use that much more than the brake on hard pack/slippery descents. I find the brake just wants to lock if you get too aggressive with it and then you take off like a bobsled. If there's enough snow or not glare ice I get it on edge and drag an A-arm to slow down.

All that said I am going to try the reverse trick next time out just to get a feel for it and add it to the toolbox. I could see it being useful in a situation like the McBride ride described above where you need to get down something short and steep then stop before a hazard and pick a new line to keep moving.

I've Seen both methods used many times, the reverse thing definitely works well in some situations, and have seen situations where something over the spindle was best method.

Last edited:

vrscr43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before anyone had reverse and in the springtime (packed snow) we used the small chain or belt method.
Those 114" bald ass tracks got going pretty fast dropping down somewhere.....

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Saw" It's SAW..LOL

Seen both methods used many times, the reverse thing definitely works well in some situations, and have seen situations where something over the spindle was best method.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a bitch and don't ride steep enough terrain but I've never done this. I set all my sleds up to have pretty good engine braking and generally use that much more than the brake on hard pack/slippery descents. I find the brake just wants to lock if you get too aggressive with it and then you take off like a bobsled. If there's enough snow or not glare ice I get it on edge and drag an A-arm to slow down.

All that said I am going to try the reverse trick next time out just to get a feel for it and add it to the toolbox. I could see it being useful in a situation like the McBride ride described above where you need to get down something short and steep then stop before a hazard and pick a new line to keep moving.

Don't pin it full throttle.

Light throttle keeping it in low gear...just enough to clear the snow from the track...IMO.

Then again...maybe if your heading for a cliff...pin it to win it.

Last edited:

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Friggin Polaris.. haha no beepers,...

I've done it to myself. Picking your way through the trees on a single track and need to pop back quick to go a different direction. Forget it's in reverse and hit the throttle and I'm checking out the headlight.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Before anyone had reverse and in the springtime (packed snow) we used the small chain or belt method.
Those 114" bald ass tracks got going pretty fast dropping down somewhere.....

I have had to use those also. We have a couple of places where they are hanging on the trees for everyone to use. Waterfalls and some steep decents in the trees with a switch back where the trail ices up. I would like to see the "pure riders" lay their sleds on the side and get down.

Remember the "chicken belts" in the days of the short paddles????

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would this help you guys?
9448f115d4f8fe287fb4cd3ea3880a20.jpg

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude but here is an explanation. Once you enable reverse on a downhill you have become completely at the mercy of gravity. Your track spins backwards and makes a trench and it will slow you down a little bit. However if you need to get onto one ski or make a move left or right good luck getting the sled onto one ski in reverse. If you want to go down something steep, the best way is on one ski dragging fresh snow.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be rude but here is an explanation. Once you enable reverse on a downhill you have become completely at the mercy of gravity. Your track spins backwards and makes a trench and it will slow you down a little bit. However if you need to get onto one ski or make a move left or right good luck getting the sled onto one ski in reverse. If you want to go down something steep, the best way is on one ski dragging fresh snow.

That was my experience the one time I tried it. Didnt work, and then put me in one heck of a predicament when I needed to get on the throttle again.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fully understand the limitations of engaging reverse on a downhill.

Have only used it in a few situations.

Still think it is just one more tool in the toolbox. Don’t think it means your a Shiite rider if you use it...although I might be I guess.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to jam my sled into reverse for the first time acouple of years ago On boulder. We were playing in the trees and we came to a spot where we had to go down a chute. The first guy who went down had fresh snow ans was able to elevator on edge a little bit slowing his decent. After the 6 guy went down with the heavy wet snow it was like a luge run. Guys were hitting reverse to avoid hitting trees at the bottom, No matter what I did I could not slow down, last minute decision I locked the track hit reverse and trenched myself in and stopped really quick.
Not a practice I recommend, but that day in those circumstances it saved me from wrecking my sled, or getting hurt.

Top Bottom