Do you ever use reverse on steep critical downhills?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's frigg'n crazy dude!

It was lol. I was getting pretty nervous and scared to do it. But didn’t want to be the guy to chicken out. Lucky for me another guy chickened out, he had a m7 with the track turned around backwards and was like a crazy carpet going down hills (cat guys know what track it was)! I watched a guy do it and looked like it worked good. But they did say they punched the chain tensioner out of one chain case.

smc

Reaction score
Some have mentioned doing this to help a riding partner who is stuck on a step hill. The only time I use reverse on a steep hill is also to help someone. Once I’ve sidehilled to them and stoppped. If it is really steep I may use reverse to “set” the sled so it doesn’t barrel roll to the bottom. Let’s be honest, if your buddy is stuck in a bad spot and you do go to help you should sidehill to him/her, DO NOT come at them from above.

It has to be really hard on the sled.

A better idea would be to watch and heckle your buddy from a safe spot. 2 guys one slope is no bueno.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A better idea would be to watch and heckle your buddy from a safe spot. 2 guys one slope is no bueno.

that is what they tell ya in the AVI classes we are supposed to take.

Reactions: smc

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might go out and use the reverse technique today...not sure...awfully cold...-20 and some wind. Already spent an hour snow-blowing...bbbrrrr.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i went to the door this am, put-ter into reverse, hammered the throttle and instant stop, no gear grinding , no mashed up chaintensioner, YEEEEEHAAAAA!!! phawk that worked Awesome.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the feed back, it looks like a few reasons have been identified why you shouldn’t use reverse while going downhill:

1: Hard on the chain case tensioner…normally the tensioner acts upon the slack side of the chain, with lots of torque in reverse the tight side of the chain is now on the tensioner and this can cause failures.

2: Should not be stopping on a hill to assist someone who is stuck…more than one on a slope at a time is not a safe practice.

3: If you use reverse, you have poor riding technique and you should learn how to ride properly.

4: Apparently, it can cause premature wear and cause secondary clutch failures.

5: If your having to use reverse, well, you are in over your head and should not be in that situation to start with…and don’t discuss it on this forum because this forum promotes safe sledding.

Here is my opinion on the items identified:

1: somewhat agree and it is good that this has been identified as an issue. I would say its all about the amount of torque applied in reverse…not the act of using reverse itself. I do not have a chain case on my 2010 M8 so this is not applicable.

2: mostly agree…if your stuck on a big slope (uninjured) you’re on your own. I will continue to assist people jammed up in the trees on a heavily treed slope with low to non-existent avalanche hazard. Each scenario analyzed individually.

3: HA, HA, HA…rolling on the floor laughing. All I can say…

4: for occasional use and light torque loads I find that hard to believe. Some people wear out brake pads on a truck in 20,000 km some peoples pads last 100,000 km…depends how you treat them.

5: the times I have used reverse I was not in over my head…just pushing the envelope on access to certain areas. Did I absolutely have to access those areas.…No. Did I want to access those areas...Yes. Should this be discussed on S & M…Yes.

Cheers...just my opinion...everyone has one.

Last edited:

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is what they tell ya in the AVI classes we are supposed to take.
53fa610c555753472905e88cb0009381.jpg

DooDoo

Reaction score
Oh the joys of riding with Matt lol. I ride with him and a few of the other locals there. Never a dull moment.

SicLoco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why someone would put that type of pressure on the drivetrain but I know having your sled in reverse in avalanche scenario seems to be one of the dumber things to do!! If your worried about a decent put a belt over your ski spindle(or belts) and under ski to slow yourself down and then you will still have forward motion to save your life if the mountain comes down with you!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why someone would put that type of pressure on the drivetrain but I know having your sled in reverse in avalanche scenario seems to be one of the dumber things to do!! If your worried about a decent put a belt over your ski spindle(or belts) and under ski to slow yourself down and then you will still have forward motion to save your life if the mountain comes down with you!

So do we install this belt hanging from ski before we do the climb? Must be fun to climb with a belt hanging off your ski.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, I ride around with a belt hanging off my ski.. of course I'd use reverse over that, God. I can click into forward in literally a second.

SicLoco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suppose, havent tried it so I cant say ! The only reason I havent is "Logic"!! I'm Old school I guess

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, I ride around with a belt hanging off my ski.. of course I'd use reverse over that, God. I can click into forward in literally a second.

A second ????? good luck with that. He said on a descent, and i agree with him, if you're really worried about it or you just need to go slower , a ski or small chain over the spindle is a far better way to help control your speed. Shifting back and forth from forward to reverse on a rapid descent will eventually bite you in either repairs from the driveline explosion or the trees you meet at high speed.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lenny, go press ur reverse button and let me know how long it takes.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just a bitch and don't ride steep enough terrain but I've never done this. I set all my sleds up to have pretty good engine braking and generally use that much more than the brake on hard pack/slippery descents. I find the brake just wants to lock if you get too aggressive with it and then you take off like a bobsled. If there's enough snow or not glare ice I get it on edge and drag an A-arm to slow down.

All that said I am going to try the reverse trick next time out just to get a feel for it and add it to the toolbox. I could see it being useful in a situation like the McBride ride described above where you need to get down something short and steep then stop before a hazard and pick a new line to keep moving.

Top Bottom