Do you ever use reverse on steep critical downhills?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How so? faceting?

Basically the way I understand it is that in deep snow packs there is a temperature gradient.

The ground is near zero and the atomosheric temp is the other end of the scale. So if you have a ambient temp of -5 you have a small gradient, -20 you have a large gradient.

The bigger the gradient the faster the vapor transmission happens.
This creates faceting in the lower layers because it robs lots of moisture from the stable rounded crystals.

In a bigger gradient more vapor makes it to the upper layers of the snowpack to quickly and increases the density of the snow rapidly.

In a cold clear night this vapor will escape the snowpack via radiation and recrystalize on the surface as hoar.

So my comment about the snow settling may have been a geralization, but bad stuff happens with cold clear weather.

The best senerios to preserve pow is the low temperature gradient and consistent precipitation ornate the very least overcast weather.

Low temperature gradients promote a healthier rate of vapor transmission and promte healing within the snowpack known as rounding. Where the vapour condenses and refreezes on the above crystals creating a stronger rounded crystal structure.

tworton

Reaction score
This is such a bad technique to make a habit. When you need to hit the throttle to avoid a piece of terrain like a tree or a drop you are screwed. Be a man and flop that thing on its side. Hard on equipment as well. This might be a trick for a 12 year old girl but no one that has any intention of progressing as a rider. Have seen this trick fail and cause a sled to sled pile up that could have been avoided with a little throttle input and some muscle.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why does -30 snow last so much longer than say -3 snow.. , Rode lots on cold days, and snow does not settle up like on warmer days!!

How so? faceting?

Basically the way I understand it is that in deep snow packs there is a temperature gradient.

The ground is near zero and the atomosheric temp is the other end of the scale. So if you have a ambient temp of -5 you have a small gradient, -20 you have a large gradient.

The bigger the gradient the faster the vapor transmission happens.
This creates faceting in the lower layers because it robs lots of moisture from the stable rounded crystals.

In a bigger gradient more vapor makes it to the upper layers of the snowpack to quickly and increases the density of the snow rapidly.

In a cold clear night this vapor will escape the snowpack via radiation and recrystalize on the surface as hoar.

So my comment about the snow settling may have been a geralization, but bad stuff happens with cold clear weather.

The best senerios to preserve pow is the low temperature gradient and consistent precipitation ornate the very least overcast weather.

Low temperature gradients promote a healthier rate of vapor transmission and promte healing within the snowpack known as rounding. Where the vapour condenses and refreezes on the above crystals creating a stronger rounded crystal structure.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So why does -30 snow last so much longer than say -3 snow.. , Rode lots on cold days, and snow does not settle up like on warmer days!!

I donno, can only speak from my experience and limited knowledge. Maybe Curtis or someone like that could expand or explain or call bs.

I experienced this at Allen early December, guys were riding windshield deep, got there 3 cold clear days later.
When we got there the snow was still good but was realistically 6-12" vs 24"-48".

And Imo a short cold snap will not do it, need more time for that vapor transmission to get chugging.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Personally I’ve done it a few times when I was newer to riding in the mountains. Haven’t done it in ages. In my opinion if I’m “in the sh!t” I want appropriate throttle control in a forward direction to navigate my way out of whatever situation. Like many have said, flip it on a side panel to slow you down and get control.

Some have mentioned doing this to help a riding partner who is stuck on a step hill. The only time I use reverse on a steep hill is also to help someone. Once I’ve sidehilled to them and stoppped. If it is really steep I may use reverse to “set” the sled so it doesn’t barrel roll to the bottom. Let’s be honest, if your buddy is stuck in a bad spot and you do go to help you should sidehill to him/her, DO NOT come at them from above.

It has to be really hard on the sled.

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never tried this. But years ago in 2008 I went with Matt Elliot and a few other locals into the backside of Lucile. We climbed to the top side of one ledge back in Pupil I think it was called? We sat on the edge of rock that had a path only wide enough for a sled to go through. They told me to put my sled into reverse and let it role over the edge and to pin it so I could stop before a cliff. I thought they were crazy to try that. I never did as there were guys we were with that didn’t have the skill to go down that hill.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never tried this. But years ago in 2008 I went with Matt Elliot and a few other locals into the backside of Lucile. We climbed to the top side of one ledge back in Pupil I think it was called? We sat on the edge of rock that had a path only wide enough for a sled to go through. They told me to put my sled into reverse and let it role over the edge and to pin it so I could stop before a cliff. I thought they were crazy to try that. I never did as there were guys we were with that didn’t have the skill to go down that hill.

That's frigg'n crazy dude!

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive done this many times. I don't think its any different than backing down a steep slope and spinning the track forward to slow the sled down. making sure the track is completely stopped before hitting the throttle is the key.
I wish I could ride better and not have to resort to these cheat maneuvers but whats a guy to do lol.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stolen from dootalk
39495762ea747faa686c6b154c9187e8.jpg
4481dcd517c56ce6f6b1590c0dafe692.jpg

Top Bottom