Distracted Driving Law!

CowboyX

Reaction score
A lady RCMP passed me on Geatz Ave in Red Deer today. I looked over to give her the stink eye and the cow was talking on her cute pink iphone. I guess the new law only applies to us civilians. What a joke! She was actually not a cow and rather good looking. But still WTF?

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
A lady RCMP passed me on Geatz Ave in Red Deer today. I looked over to give her the stink eye and the cow was talking on her cute pink iphone. I guess the new law only applies to us civilians. What a joke! She was actually not a cow and rather good looking. But still WTF?

Double standards for cops and citizens. Always has been, you new?

The new law actually DOES state that during their normal duties, the law does not apply to them or any other emergency responder, for us, we can use 2-ways and cells during work as we are on the military base and required to check in for clearance.

Driver of a pilot truck doesnt have to wear a seatbelt...

No double standards, just the law...

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
From Bill 16:

What types of emergency vehicles are exempt?
Under the Traffic Safety Act, an emergency vehicle includes, police service vehicles, fire response units, ambulances and gas disconnection units. Drivers of emergency vehicles will be able to use hand-held communication devices or other electronic devices only when acting within the scope of their employment

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From Bill 16:

What types of emergency vehicles are exempt?
Under the Traffic Safety Act, an emergency vehicle includes, police service vehicles, fire response units, ambulances and gas disconnection units. Drivers of emergency vehicles will be able to use hand-held communication devices or other electronic devices only when acting within the scope of their employment

I don't really know......but I would bet she wasn't fielding a life or death 911 call.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That may be accurate, but the law states: 'within the scope of their employment', so if driving a patrol car is part of her job, she is following the law...not worth worrying about...

Agreed......all I'm saying is that talking with a friend or making an appointment probably isn't within the job scope of police work. Oh well.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.....if this were the officer in question I'd be inclined to commit a minor infraction, then confront her about this "faux pas"

images.jpg

.....once the "infractions" were dealt with perhaps a round of cavity searches would be in order.....

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother in law on his way home today got a phone call and pulled over to take his call. He was on a gravel range road pulled off road to take his call but didn't shut the truck off, along comes cop and gives him a rough time for violating distracted driving law... Brother in law kinda snapped a little saying thought he was doing right by pulling over to talk on phone where the cop abruptly disrupted him by snapping back "No! Your still breaking the law, but ill be the nice guy and let you off with a warning, next time not so lucky, now be on your way, son!" Really nothing else to do....oh and my brother in law is 46 far from being a 50 year old cops son..pffft

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty ignorant.
My brother in law on his way home today got a phone call and pulled over to take his call. He was on a gravel range road pulled off road to take his call but didn't shut the truck off, along comes cop and gives him a rough time for violating distracted driving law... Brother in law kinda snapped a little saying thought he was doing right by pulling over to talk on phone where the cop abruptly disrupted him by snapping back "No! Your still breaking the law, but ill be the nice guy and let you off with a warning, next time not so lucky, now be on your way, son!" Really nothing else to do....oh and my brother in law is 46 far from being a 50 year old cops son..pffft

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Intelligence standards aren't all that high for the police forces anymore.... And a 50 year old patrol car jockey isn't some upstanding officer in all likelyhood to start with. So like any other moron on the job in any other industry you just smile, wave and drive them off the deep end. He didn't ticket because he was smart enough to know that it would get tossed... because to avoid looking like more a tard he wouldn't show for the court date. He just thought he would strut his author-i-tie!

In truth I would love to see the ticket from it, and the look on the face of the judge when explained the pretences.

Last edited:

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I don't have a hands free thing a ma jig
If I do talk and drive I just put it on speaker and set it on my shoulder
Usually I just don't answer the phone or I use hey tell or voxer to communicate

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That distracting law is a joke ,the only way they can enforce it is having demerit point taking of your license, cause all those punk's will pay the find 10 x time's and they don't give a sh^t

Last edited:
Top Bottom