Possible New Distracted Driving Laws

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
More likely the dumb asses will just drive around with no insurance

Maybe some, but a lot don't have that option. If vehicle is financed you have no choice, and thankfully so many are.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe some, but a lot don't have that option. If vehicle is financed you have no choice, and thankfully so many are.

Quit paying your loan, quit paying your insurance. keep driving. happens every day....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know your rates in pre-NDP and NDP era were very much the same. I don't think you understand the rate cap.

Its a fact that NDP had a rate cap. And by a rate cap that means they could only increase your premiums a certain percent per year. So lets say in 2016 if you were paying $1000/year for auto insurance. In 2017 the NDP government put a cap on auto insurance premiums to 5%. So when you renewed in 2017 you would pay $1050, and in 2018 it would be $1102.50. So here we are in 2019, and the cap was removed by the UCP government.

The insurance companies were actually losing money in Alberta for the last few years. The company my dad was CEO of actually didn't renew most of their auto policies in Alberta. Now that the cap has been removed insurance companies are increasing rates trying to recoup their loses from the last few years. They are hitting everyone with increases, especially those with distracted driving tickets.

Does that make sense? I don't read what I want, but I was speaking about something I know.

I know how it works, but the cap helped the dumbasses with a bunch of tickets from getting massive increases, not the people with clean records who insurance companies barely if any increase premiums on. My insurance has never jumped even 5% in a year, and in the 4 NDP years didn't go up anywhere close to 20%. Why? Because I have a spotless record and never had a at fault accident, so I get dirt cheap insurance. $900/yr for full coverage on a pickup. I pay like $200/yr for my semi. Good drivers don't need a government to keep their premiums low.

At the end of the day they are a company who needs to make money. If no insurance companies can be profitable here guess what happens? They leave. And the problem it created was because they couldn't charge what they wanted for some people, they just refused to insure them all together, therefore the good drivers are forced to pay for the losses. How does that benefit anyone? The cap created problems now for years to come, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Just like the licencing system.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quit paying your loan, quit paying your insurance. keep driving. happens every day....

Yea in some cases, but I don't think that lasts very long before they find the vehicle. I'd rather take my chances of getting in an accident with a uninsured driver then paying for a portion of their claims because they no longer have insurance or the government forces everyone to subsidize them. If you have full coverage them being uninsured doesn't even matter.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea in some cases, but I don't think that lasts very long before they find the vehicle. I'd rather take my chances of getting in an accident with a uninsured driver then paying for a portion of their claims because they no longer have insurance or the government forces everyone to subsidize them. If you have full coverage them being uninsured doesn't even matter.

id rather just not get in an accident, but there is lots of crappy driver out there and government policy isnt changing that, until driverless cars are a thing.

teamgreen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know how it works, but the cap helped the dumbasses with a bunch of tickets from getting massive increases, not the people with clean records who insurance companies barely if any increase premiums on. My insurance has never jumped even 5% in a year, and in the 4 NDP years didn't go up anywhere close to 20%. Why? Because I have a spotless record and never had a at fault accident, so I get dirt cheap insurance. $900/yr for full coverage on a pickup. I pay like $200/yr for my semi. Good drivers don't need a government to keep their premiums low.

At the end of the day they are a company who needs to make money. If no insurance companies can be profitable here guess what happens? They leave. And the problem it created was because they couldn't charge what they wanted for some people, they just refused to insure them all together, therefore the good drivers are forced to pay for the losses. How does that benefit anyone? The cap created problems now for years to come, they tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Just like the licencing system.

I'll take that as an apology for saying I "really read what you want to eh?"

And the government isn't there for good drivers, they are there for everyone.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
id rather just not get in an accident, but there is lots of crappy driver out there and government policy isnt changing that, until driverless cars are a thing.

Crappy drivers indeed. I feel the crappy drivers will become dumb passengers with driverless cars, always love the part when the guy says power backwards and is looking forward as his head bounces of the dash. Point is if your dumb your dumb. Claims will continue until natural selection kicks in.

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Been saying for years the only thing that's going to get rid of ****ty drivers are self driving cars.

Just start a thread about driving slow in the hammer lane on the highway or proper merging into traffic from an on ramp, especially the Anthony Henday and see people's entitled attitudes.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll take that as an apology for saying I "really read what you want to eh?"

And the government isn't there for good drivers, they are there for everyone.

It’s scarey you believe this. If anyone tried hard to prove us this was fantasy it was the train wreck of NDP clowns in Alberta !

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree distracted drivers are dangerous . But , in typical government fashion , they crack down hard on driver activities , which will , hopefully, increase safety for all , but certainly create huge revenue from tickets, and same time continue to allow bigger and brighter giant flashing advertisements at busy intersections and along hiways and streets. Which are designed , I assume , to distract drivers attention from the road ????

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The cap never did apply to individual drivers. Now that the cap is removed, they still have the same right to increase the rates for high risk drivers by as much is appropriate. And, removal of the cap doesn't give them carte blanche to arbitrarily impose a rate increase across the board - it still has to go through Automobile Insurance Rate Board for approval.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are insurance companies that are implementing across the board increases, some in the range of 15%. We all get penalized for this.

Another factor in this isn't just bad drivers, it's the body shops that charge outrageous amounts of money for repairs. The insurance companies want to recover these extra costs, and they sure aren't going to foot the bill, we all get to pay for it.

Top Bottom