Dirtbike on the back of a fifth wheel

Burns

Reaction score
I am debating as to how I could possible haul my dirtbike on the back of the fifth wheel. Only thing I can come up with is to install a hitch and carrier but am worried about the amount of bounce and potential trailer frame issues.

I am wondering if anyone has done this and if there are any other suggestions (besides haul another trailer, buy a toyhauler etc)? Pictures would be helpful if available.

Truck is a 2010 Chev 2500 short box Duramax, Cougar 324RLB Fifth (36ft, 11000lbs GVW) and 2011 KTM 300xc.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
I put a 5000lb hitch on the back of mine. You can safely use a carrier but it needs extra securing cause they do bump around a tonne. Never had an issue though other than some good rub marks from not securing tight enough one time.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I extended my frame on my trailer and built a separate platform for dirt bikes to sit on with a new platform. Might be tougher on other trailers depending on what's exposed and if you can do it without causing a fire.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of mounting a single receiver in the center of the bumper, I'd install two....one under either frame rail. Then get the inserts welded onto the bike rack to mate up with the trailer. A 200lb bike will bounce and wobble on a single, but with two mounting points...especially right under the main frame rails, it will be safe and secure.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I built a one for my old trailer worked really good but if you travel a lot of gravel you need to tarp the bike I used a motorycle cover for a gold wing from princess auto and put Velcro on it to wrap the bike right up kept 90 % of he dust off
i used the steel tubing same size as the hitch receiver welded to 2 extra cross members we welded to the trailer frame
with 2 supports coming off the trailer so there was no rock like if was only mounted once to the trailer bet part was it was removable but I did have to add an extra set of taillights as the tarped bike would block the stock ones

I will see if I can find a picture of what I built

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't find a picture I still have the rack laying around I the shop so I will try and take a picture I also put a center post with a big hook on it that was foam padded and went down over the seat so they was no way the bike could come off after stopping and checking a few times on the first trip I never worried about it again bike never moved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394028020.361494.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394028042.010256.jpg
This is my set up

From mooseknuckle sledding lodge

calgaryyz250

Reaction score
First post for me. Anyway, I bought an older 5th wheel that had a custom carrier built for 2 dirt bikes. It's made out of square tubing and slides into 2 pockets welded to the frame of the trailer and has a couple big pins ( just like a receiver hitch) Works great. If I was building it I would have changed the rings welded on for straps. It is a bit low depending on truck height and terrain also but I haven't had any problems with rubbing.

Burns

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply an welcome to the site. Any chance you can get a couple pics of that setup? Sounds like what I want to do.

calgaryyz250

Reaction score
Burns, the only picture I've got with me doesn't really show the unit itself. Just the bikes hanging off the back of the trailer. It's dirt simple, more or less like 2 receiver hitches but sized to take the ~ 2.5" square tubing the rack is built out of. The sleeves are probably 2 feet long. Then its basically U shaped with the spaces for the bikes made out of extruded metal screen and some flat bar for sides. The spaces for the bikes are bent up at the front at about a 45 degree angle just like the hitch mount carriers you see for sale.

Top Bottom