Fifth Wheel RV - Water Leak Question

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all, wondering if those of you with some experience owning holiday trailers can give an opinion.

Purchased a used fifth wheel trailer from an RV dealer. Was told that the unit had been gone over, roof checked for leaks, roof re-sealed, etc. Was one of the reasons I bought from a dealer rather than private, as supposedly they went right through the unit top to bottom to make sure all was good.

Well we get the thing home and wife is starting to pack things into it. It was raining that day. Water starts dripping, sometimes running, from the electrical plug at the front in the master bedroom. Checked closer and there is a water stain on the mattress that we did not notice (was pretty dark when we first looked). Called dealer and they said they'll make it right, said they re-sealed the roof again, and in doing so, found another leak at the light at the front of the unit. They are claiming that there is no water damage in the unit (used moisture testers I guess).

They say they will take the unit back and give a full refund. Unit is a 2015 model.

My issue is, we've had a very wet summer. I do not know how long the unit has been sitting on their lot and I suspect it has been leaking since they brought it in, so no idea how much water got in there and if any damage, as you cant see into the walls.

I have told them that I want a full refund and they can have the trailer back. Am I overreacting do you think? It is a nice trailer, but I'm just not sold that their is no damage inside the walls of the unit and feel that will always be in the back of my mind if I keep it.

What do you think?

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a toss up, Like you said no way of knowing how long it had been leaking. Maybe ask the dealer to warranty the water damaged area because of the unexpected issue to cover unforeseen issues.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's an easy answer! Give it back and get your money back! It was likely traded off for that reason from previous owner. You don't need mold etc in it and it will always bug you knowing the issue. Then you try and sell it in 2 years and have to explain why the roof was resealed etc. There are thousands of other trailers to pick from so get your money back! That's my .2cents and what I would do.

rebel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would get a full refund. I wouldn't trust it with how moist it has been this year. The dealer doesn't care they will find another sucker....er buyer for it.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The insulation and wood in the walls will be soaked. Now granted, this is Alberta(dry), not Ontario(humid) and IF the leaks are fixed, it will PROBABLY dry out eventually...but if it was me, I would take it back.

Jobu

Reaction score
I would take it back and keep shopping. Although they may have fixed the leak, the damage you can't see will probably end up costing you in the long run.

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago, I worked as an RV Tech, Long and short if there's a leak 98% of the time the damage you don't see is far more extensive.... It likely has been leaking since new and it took a bit for the water to find its easiest route..
Not to mention where is the leak coming from? Unless your trailer sits/parked exactly the same and perfectly level all the time identifying the cause of the leak is very much a guessing game...
Unless theyre going to remove/reinstall the interior panels to confirm the condition Id say get your loot back...

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I almost bought a sweet looking Jaco Eagle once, it was barely used by the glampers that owned it only made a couple trips on the hiway...but I brought a ladder with me to check the roof and there was a hole at the back where the ladder was supposed to be screwed in roof,and the whole side of the roof was puffed right up leaking for years, couldn't tell from the inside but I bet it would look sick if you opened it up to show the black mould.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id jump on the opportunity to return it and get your money back, that doesn’t happen often. But I would stick with that dealer, they seem great to deal with, start looking for another one. The RV season is about over unless we get a great sept and oct.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Where are you located? If its im my area I can thermal Image it and give you some pointers, I am indoor environmental consultant. Even though most trailers these days if there hardwall are foam insulation, if there metal wall, loose fill fibreglass. The interior panelling delaminates and may have fungal growth beneath. If the roof is leaking from a bad caulking seal that can be fixed. But if not fixed properly then it can lead to years of problems, and can be an issue for resale in the future.

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we just had our trailer front repaired this spring front window leaked for years they removed window and had to replace all insulation and studs plus interior panel they did a great job looks like new no need for a stupid front window nice flat front now

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to return the trailer and get a full refund.
I gotta admit from the info above, I'm a little worried about buying one of these period as they don't seem to be built very well.

We are thinking of looking at a new unit, as what they are asking for used units are kind of stupid. Do any of you know if RV Dealers on average have much room to move on their prices they are asking or are their margins pretty slim?

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have decided to return the trailer and get a full refund.
I gotta admit from the info above, I'm a little worried about buying one of these period as they don't seem to be built very well.

We are thinking of looking at a new unit, as what they are asking for used units are kind of stupid. Do any of you know if RV Dealers on average have much room to move on their prices they are asking or are their margins pretty slim?

Yes they do, especially with units on the lot that they are anxious to sell. I usually have the batteries, max air vents and solar panel added to the deal.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
If they are giving you the option of a full refund,no questions asked,I would jump all over that. I would also see if this same dealership had something else I was interested in,because they sound like a stand up kinda place.

Top Bottom