Clearance from top of box to fifth wheel RV????Help

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i bought a fifth wheel camper 2012 Wildcat 323QB in the fall. I havent picked it up yet i am picking it up end of April. I bought a 16K Reese fifth wheel hitch with sidewinder too. I am wondering if i am going to be about to hook up to it with my truck with out the trailer hitting the top of the box? I measured from center rear axle ground to top of box it is 60". I have 5" blocks in the rear(see signature) The dealer is getting The dimension from the plate to the ground (when the camper is level) and the dimension of the plate to the overhang of the camper. I am just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them? If so what is the easiest fix so i can tow the camper? I sat 56" before with the stock blocks.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you need to, you can unbolt the the fifth wheel pin (on trailer) and lower it. There should be 6 different settings for the pin box. If that doesn't work, you might have to get an extension to lower the pin more. Then your trailer won't be level.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to take my trailer axles from a bottom spring mount to a top mount and my spring hangers also had three holes to allow for some adjustment aswell.

Open Season

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you flipped your axles? could a guy add blocks?
I didn't flip them I just moved them under the springs. Had to buy new U bolts and spring mounts, it was about a $ 100.00 That with being able to use lower holes in the hangers was all I needed. When I asked about useing blocks I was told there is too much twist in them and could break U bolts.

Reactions: zal

GRD

Reaction score
I lowered my hitch on my 5th wheel and raised the hitch in the truck. Axles were already flipped on the 5th wheel, but after adjusting the truck hitch and 5th wheel hitch, the 5th wheel did not sit level. My dad had some spacers made and we put them between the springs and axles. Works well and pulls level now.

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had an 08 f350 with 5" blocks, raise your hitch in the truck to the top set of holes and drop the hitch on the trailer in the pin box to the lowest set of holes and you should bbe good. As long as your trailer has 16" rubber on it then it will sit level, when i first set mine up the fifth wheel had 15" and i bought rims/tires for the trailer to get it to sit level.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had an 08 f350 with 5" blocks, raise your hitch in the truck to the top set of holes and drop the hitch on the trailer in the pin box to the lowest set of holes and you should bbe good. As long as your trailer has 16" rubber on it then it will sit level, when i first set mine up the fifth wheel had 15" and i bought rims/tires for the trailer to get it to sit level.

That is awesome. I was stressing out over this. How hard is it to drop the hitch on the trailer? How much clearance you have from the trailer to top of box? My trailer does have the 16" wheels.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Undo four bolts, lower, tighten them up. Thats it. As for clearance, ask the dealer. He should know and help you set up the hitches.

muzbomb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 305\55R20 on my truck now I was goiing to go with 35" tires you think that will make it worse and not fit forsure?

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To answer your question as to the space between the box rails and the bottom of the trailer I would go with 6" if you are doing any random camping.

• Thanks
Reactions: GRD

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the pin box on the trailer. They usually have patterns to tighten them and torque. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!!

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
See lots of tandem axle trailers running down the road tilted with most of the weight on the back axle, it's a recipe for disaster....axle and tire frailer on top of premature tire wear....

We welded in 3" square tubing to the bottom of the frame covering 75% of the trailer, as well as we raised the hitch to the top spot and adjusted the trailer arm so the trailer runs level. We have about six inches clearance between the truck and trailer on a 2007 1 ton dodge dully and a 40' fifth wheel....a 5" lift on the trailer is a lot....

Top Bottom