Det Warning

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I'm riding along last night, sled is warm, about 6km into the ride and I find a nice open stretch so I pin it. Accelerates nicely for a bit then the det warning flashes, the sled goes into limp mode and I almost go over the handlebars. I'm running shell gold as I have all year, sled has about 450 miles on it. I had the non eth side of the resister plugged in so I stopped and changed that and didn't see any more problems.
My sled has been in my garage with 3/4 tank of fuel since Sunday. The humidity in there recently has been very high, I'm just wondering if moisture might have condensed in the tank and might be causing my problems. Starting to lose trust in my machine and I don't like that. Had some bogging issues earlier in the mountains but I chalked that up to wrong weights in the primary. Haven't been back to the hills and bogging issue has not returned.

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had this problem last year, when ever I fueled up at a local station in Sask. the sled would Det 15 min after fueling. Not sure if it was moisture or bad fuel, but adding fuel conditioner / octane boost and switching the fuel resistor till good fuel could be purchased stopped the Det for me.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sure it wasn't just on the rev limiter as it shuts down the engine and feels like you run out of gas.Easy to over rev the pros as they are clutched lite.I watch my rpm coming down on the long stretchs and routinely see 8300RPM then I back off.I too burn the Shell gold and have not had issues with it

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You sure it wasn't just on the rev limiter as it shuts down the engine and feels like you run out of gas.Easy to over rev the pros as they are clutched lite.I watch my rpm coming down on the long stretchs and routinely see 8300RPM then I back off.I too burn the Shell gold and have not had issues with it
Nope the display said det and the red check engine light came on.

d8grandpa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you done any changes from stock to your sled? If your engine isn't loaded enough the det will activate. If you have any ethanol or other similar additives in your fuel that will also set off det. The non eth. resistor adds 5% more fuel that usually compensates for fuel or engine loading issues.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't totally rule out bad fuel. A buddy of mine is in the fuel hauling industry and told me there are more mixes out there than he would care to admit to. You could be running a regular/premium mix Mitch.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you done any changes from stock to your sled? If your engine isn't loaded enough the det will activate. If you have any ethanol or other similar additives in your fuel that will also set off det. The non eth. resistor adds 5% more fuel that usually compensates for fuel or engine loading issues.
bone stock. Straight up premium fuel. Not the sort of thing you want happening when you are riding alone.

Last edited:

LeapingLizzard

Reaction score
Website
www.tdkcustomhomes.com
Sounds like a similar problem I have. Same sled as you, same fuel etc. I don't get the DET on the display but my engine light does come on. The sled still runs enough to engage the clutches but barely. It happens throughout the day whether covered with snow or not so I don't think it's a moisture problem with a connector and it's done it on my last 3 tanks of fuel. On my last day riding like this I would just shut the sled off, start it again right away and all good until it would happen again. Another think I noticed was my RPM's not quite reaching the peak which was never a problem before.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Mitch, did you put heavier weights after you put your can on? I talked to the builders of the thing and they told me to go up 2 grams for that can for our elevation. How do you like the can?

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too noisy around here, put the stock can back on....maybe getting too old. Strangely enough seems to mellow a bit when you get to higher altitude. Or maybe I was just deaf from listening to it all the way up the Renshaw trail....

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nope the display said det and the red check engine light came on.
isnt the red light on the ls of the guage the overheat light?? just askin because i saw that a few times with the pro and their lack of cooling in low snow cond.. and me sled would go into limp mode also,,,

DYSLEXIC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt the red light on the ls of the guage the overheat light?? just askin because i saw that a few times with the pro and their lack of cooling in low snow cond.. and me sled would go into limp mode also,,,

Same here lightening, mine did it until I put the scratchers down..... :)

Braedend

Reaction score
We had two guys both with 2012 rmk pros riding with us in blue river. They filled up at petro Canada before meeting us at the staging area. They started both their sleds up on the sled deck and both machines went into limp mode as soon as they were started. Bad fuel i think

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe check fuel filter? My sled would detonate after a good pull and not necessarily every time, a fresh fuel filter solved the problem! I have also heard that moisture is number 1 for resticting flow through these filters.

Top Bottom