Cost Effective Hunting Rifle and Gear???

togo ripper

Reaction score
I ve got a tc venture 300 win mag with the changeable barrels and it's awesome shoots very nice looks and feels good plus you can have any calibre in one so 300 for elk amd say a 30-06 for deer, also favorite scope so far is scorpion optics cheap great view and over the counter straight exchange warranty

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a A7 Sako, 1000.00 gun and scope, the way it shoots it is becoming my favorite rifle, wicked value

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a scorpion on my grouse getter. Really like it actually. Where did you find that gun and scope for 1000? That's awesome

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a Savage 111 combo in 7mm Rem Mag for about 9 years. I put a Redfield 3-9x50 scope on and made a big difference. Its ok for grouping but I think with the cheap combos a guy should stay in smaller calibres. Just my opinion but my gun would be a tack driver in 25-06. I have been shooting Hornady 162gr.... Maybe I should go up in bullet weight to see if it groups any better. Good luck in your search...!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never used a Thompson/center before, lots of good comments though. 30-06 is available in 55 grain all the way up to 220 grain. I have a xbolt browning, my grandson have the winchester 70 extreme (1300 dollars). I get 1" group easily he doubles that to 1/2". (using a lead sled).

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I picked up the green camo one chambered in 30-06 and its been a decent gun, cheap enough its not a big deal if it gets banged around a bit, the trigger pull is a little on the high side and the bushnell scope sucks. I put a cabelas brand 6x18 scope on it and never missed a shot since. I like it for the nasty days walking through the bush cause its nice and light.

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a scorpion on my grouse getter. Really like it actually. Where did you find that gun and scope for 1000? That's awesome

Wholesale sports, should have in numerous calibres , highly recommend

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but is this your first time hunting? If you have never had tags before, I believe that starting this year you need to supply your ticket number from your hunting course. I am pretty sure you need to take the AHEIA course before you can get tags.

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And of course, it goes without saying that you need your PAL before you can purchase a firearm.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And of course, it goes without saying that you need your PAL before you can purchase a firearm.

I've got all the paperwork including tags. Took the Hunter training course 15 years ago and then did the online one for a refresher.

Definitely not new to guns as I have my RPAL as well.

Just new to what guns to buy for shooting something other than paper or pop cans haha.

My rifle should be here tomorrow , so now it's just the other gear I'm slowly shopping for.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can sure save a lot of money on ammo if you have a lead sled for sighting in that gun. No more than 3 shots at a time or it will start to wander all over the place when it gets hot. Let us know what you think of the gun and scope.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well it showed up in the mail a day early. The old 'look through the scope in the shop' test wasn't very promising. Very hard to position my head accurately to get a clear picture out of it. We shall see how it shoots tomorrow. If it's Crap I'll be putting something with the word Vortex on it right quick I think.

Top Bottom