Cost Effective Hunting Rifle and Gear???

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I've decided to get into deer and maybe elk hunting this year. Id like to buy all my gear on the cheap at first and upgrade later as I see what I need/don't need. I've already got the quads ready (800 outty and 99 big bear). I'll be spending most of my time on the big bear due to the skeg were hunting in.

I'm on the hunt (pun intended) for a rifle, and am thinking 30-06 is likely a good mix of stopping power, availability, recoil-friendliness, and cost.

I'm liking the looks of the package rifles, as I can use it as is and then upgrade optics later. I'd like to buy new, and online if possible. What does everyone reccomend, and where from?

I'll be picking up a couple Havalon Pihranta knives as well.

What else is a must have or nice to have? I've got experienced buddies to hunt with, but HATE borrowing stuff, and not being prepared.

Thanks y'all!

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like to have a high quality folding saw to split the brisket and pelvis, as well as a good quality, very sharp skinning knife and gut hook knife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Savage has a few good packages that would work well to get you started at prices that can't be beat. Bought my son one a few years ago in a 243 which groups really well at 200 yards. Would be worth looking at in a 30.06

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I own a 30-06, but my "go to" rifle is my 300 Win Mag. I shoot 180 gr. Noslers and even though they don't do excessive damage to a deer with a well placed boiler-maker shot, they still have plenty of knock down power for elk and moose at longer ranges. Personally, I wouldn't go any lighter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30-06 is a good all round rifle with one of the larger selections of ammo available and great selection for a starter. There's always ones bigger, faster and shinier.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Savage like I said if you want to save a few bucks, or tikka makes a great rifle which is made by sako. And 30.06 like mentioned above would be your best all round caliber.

Last edited:

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was wanting camo stainless but it seems hard to come by. Wish there was a picture of this. Is there an advantage with this one over an AXIS?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a Remington 700 in 30-06 and it gets it done. I put a bushnell 3200 3x9x50 on it with rings bases etc it was around $1000. If I was buying again though I would look at a Sako, but it's more dough for sure.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The cheap savage combo in either 250 win or 30-06.Replace scope with a vortex viper line of scopes.Federal blue box ammo in either caliber is only $24 a box at crappy tire .For decent coat and pants hard too beat the Remington gear at Walmart, we'll under $200 and you'll stay warm and dry on your quad.Should be able too get all that including 2 box's ammo for right around $1000.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30.06 will put an elk down no problem, shot placement is key. You can't go wrong with a Remington 700, just make sure you are comfortable and confident with your rifle. There's lots of solid rifles out there, try several out and find one that is comfortable for you. Remington, tikka, savage and many others make a quality rifle.
Vortex makes some really good optics for the money, 3-9x is a pretty standard setup

A good set of boots are a must, it'll ruin your day if you have cold, wet and/or sore feet.

Find a good smaller pack to put your tags, knives and other gear in.

Buy a good flashlight and a headlamp as well.

As for clothing, wear layers according to the conditions. Sometimes different shops have different gear on sale but a good baselayer and wind breaker are a must. Also make sure your gloves aren't slippy with your rifle, I found that out with a pair of under armour gloves. Ended up putting them away cuz I didn't feel confident holding my rifle with them on.

Keep it simple and most important HAVE FUN.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
300 win mag. Utility knife...always sharp for skinning and gutting. A sierra folding saw for sawing through the back bone, then pull the animals in half...no digging in the gut pile required.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been knocking **** down with a .243 Savage for so many years it wasn't worth buying a new rifle,.. BUT I just bought a 7mm-08 Savage and gave my 14yr old daughter the .243,. I have had Savage packages .243, .270, they never let me down. DON'T buy a .300wm as a first rifle,.. having owned one and sold it,.. will not make you a decent shooter, with that rifle you will only need to hit the target and it will make you kick shy.

BigDaddypolaris

Reaction score
In my opinion i wouldn't cheap out on any guns when i was looking for a rifle I wanted a gun that could do everything i wanted and a bit more incase I get ballzy and go bear or cougar hunting. So i went with a browning 7MM Rem Meg stainless stalker composite stalk. Reason I went with the composite stalk is because it will take alot of the recoil to save the shoulder. The down side is that the gun is about 1200-1400 retail dependant on where you go but I lucked out and got it for 1000 on sale at cabela's 6 months ago. It doesn't come with a scope but for a couple bucks you could get a pretty nice scope. Look at it another way buy a cheaper gun now 700-1000 with scope then you go to upgrade and spend 1200 + for a good gun now you have spent 2 times as much. It's cheaper to just spend a bit more and get a good gun now vs spending more over the long run.

Just my 2 cents lol

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a savage package rifle in 270 win, its a decent rifle and relatively accurate and works well given the price. If it were me I would start with a smaller cartridge in a more inexpensive rifle and then upgrade when you figure out what kind of rifle you would like, as its easier to learn to shoot a smaller caliber, a 300 WM is overkill for deer and elk IMO. For less than $500 its hard to go wrong with a savage.

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Might have a winner here!!!!! Awesome! I've only been able to find these in pred/ varmint calibers. Thanks!

Last edited:

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i picked up a very clean used browning a bolt 30-06 for 500 bucks came with scope... great little gun... funny doesn't group 165 grain bullets very well... all other weights are fine...

J-Roc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ordered one of these from Bashaw Sports this morning. After reading the reviews I decided to give I it a shot (no pun intended). The package comes in at 570 bucks, gets me out there and then I can upgrade the scoppe this winter or even later this fall.

Thompson/Center Arms TC VENTURE 30-06 MOINF SCOPE PKG

Can't wait for it to come in. Gonna be a lonnnng week.

Top Bottom