Sledding gear... Arrgghhh!!!

BOONDOCKINDAWG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres that new stuff that just came out aswell. made by choko its called ice rock apparently it was developed in valemount??? havent seen any in person just a youtube video. anybody seen this stuff???

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my klim valdez coat. I do have to layer up for the trail in and out. When boondocking, i wear an under armour shirt and a short sleave shirt. I'm going on season 4 with it and there have been no rips or zipper malfunctions.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, I refuse to sled in ski gear again this year, but holy crap!! Is it ever difficult trying to figure out what to buy. Klim, Slednecks, Arctiva, Motorfist, FXR...

I'd love to hear some opinions on what's worked or not worked for others. Pants, jackets and boots particularly but would love to hear about other gear too.

I was liking the slednecks defender pants, but found a review that says the seams come apart.
I've heard that Klim pants get wet easy.
Someone else swears by Motorfist, but his jacket zipper malfunctions all the time.

I know everyone has a preference but I'm hoping I'll see a common issue pop up with a particular brand over another. Something that will help ease the aggravation for me.

Thanks in advance,

Zipper shouldn't malfunction. He can use our loaner program to have a new piece sent to him to wear till the old one is fixed.

Here's the warranty verbage:
MotorFist proudly guarantees the quality and performance of all our products. Simply stated: We guarantee MotorFist outerwear with our exclusive “Lifetime Warranty Plus” in the unlikely event of failure in materials and/or workmanship, to the original purchaser, for the life of the product.
But here’s where it gets even better (the Plus part). While your warranty claim or repair is being processed, we’ll provide you with a loaner jacket, pant, or bib. With our signature MotorFist quality, backed by the Lifetime Plus Warranty, you'll never miss that perfect snowmobiling day.
Mother Nature doesn't wait. Neither will you.

If someone has a MF problem with our gear there is no warranty better for any product in our industry.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would ride the ski doo stuff but its so freaking expensive, and there is no guarantee that it will keep me dry. Now I ride KLIM but Motofist has really caught my eye. That and the new Ski Doo carbon fiber helmet with the white highlights really caught my eye, but $600 holy crap....

Check the Mf Dominator helmet. Lighter than carbon. half the price. And the most protective. It's the ONLY helmet in the world that has the EPS liner than attaches to the shell. This makes it safe for 1000 reasons.

And yes already out of stock at our warehouse like a rat to cheese.

BUT dealers should be recieving them shortly so they AREN'T sold out on the shelves. Call and reserve one now. Then you are assured it will be yours. BTW the Dminator helmets are worth 5 HP.

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the Mf Dominator helmet. Lighter than carbon. half the price. And the most protective. It's the ONLY helmet in the world that has the EPS liner than attaches to the shell. This makes it safe for 1000 reasons.

And yes already out of stock at our warehouse like a rat to cheese.

BUT dealers should be recieving them shortly so they AREN'T sold out on the shelves. Call and reserve one now. Then you are assured it will be yours. BTW the Dminator helmets are worth 5 HP.

I like them But whats with the Red On Them? They look good, and I love the price point, but Red... My gear is yellow and black and I have an all black sled. Maybe i just have to order a whole new suit from you guys so I'll match. Would you give me a deal if I did?

I like that you're backing your Canadian customers and standing up for your product on the forums, it really speaks for your company's integrity. Great Job!

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year I had a bunch of different boots. The light ones from Mark's worked well but my feet would be wet at the end of the day. They were warm but wet. I have ordered some motorfist boots to be picked up at the show. Tried them on and they feel good. Getting some motorfist gloves too tis year to replace my lost ones. I was using an arctiva jacket and bibs last year too. I kept warm and dry but the bibs were way to long so I had them hemmed. Of course the lower flap wouldnt close properly and the zipper would be covered in ice at the end of the day. The jacket was good except for the cuff velcro sperated and the color was a bad choice. I liked the color but white camo isnt the best choice for being seen. Especially on a white sled. I got stuck in swan hills just 5 feet from the trail while playing in the trees. One of the guys I was riding with rode right by me and didnt see me. So while I am digging myself out another group came up and the lead guy did a double take and realized I was there then stopped and they helped me out.

So ideally I am hoping to get a new jacket and bibs while at the show too but dont think I will be able to afford them next month but should hopefully have them before Christmas. I am planning on going with all Motorfist gear as long as it fits me well. They do have the best customer support, especially over Klim. And their prices seem better then Klim too.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about black/stealth version and yellow zipper pulls? Ii can get you the limited yellow zipper pulls

if that works then i will see what to do...

and thx real-wild

posnick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about black/stealth version and yellow zipper pulls? Ii can get you the limited yellow zipper pulls

if that works then i will see what to do...

and thx real-wild

I would be tempted to Send my recon jacket back to you to get the yellow zippers put in!!!

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i rode with ski gear for years, now last year i rode all with klim except my jacket.... this year i will be full klim as it is the best upgrade i have done. Its a mistake to ride without proper gear for the sport.

note: i have really good quality ski gear and it just doesnt cut it.

Right because guys climbing and skiing mountains in white outs for weeks at a time can't possibly demand the same technical clothes that the average weekend warrior sledder does.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be tempted to Send my recon jacket back to you to get the yellow zippers put in!!!

NOT the zipper. Just the zipper pull. Sorry I wasn;t clear.

zipperpull-small.jpg

We also, I think have just a few yellow zippered jackets left from 2011. If interested let me know and size. There are like 50% off I think.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought HMK Stealth pants and jacket last year and have zero complaints, picking up MF boots and gloves for this year.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been there done that for years before I started sledding in the mountains, always had the best gear you could buy and still do for snowboarding, but for sledding it just doesn't cut it, can't take the abuse near as well and eventually the snowboard gear starts getting wet, not right away but after a few months or a whole season it loses its ability to keep the wetness out. This year will be all Klim. Borrowed a jacket and pants last year from a buddy that he had used for a few years just to try out and I have never been more comfy out there. ALready had the gloves and boots so Ill just add the pants and coat and Im set

Right because guys climbing and skiing mountains in white outs for weeks at a time can't possibly demand the same technical clothes that the average weekend warrior sledder does.

yammyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one said ski gear isn't warm it's just not built to take the same amount of abuse and keep you warm and dry as sledding gear will

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until the last few years the technology in ski gear was way better. Seems some sled companies have finally discovered gore-tex and the like so we aren't limited to crappy choko and insert tool company here jackets. I used to wear ski gear and unless you get really top end stuff (arcteryx, etc) that seems to cost more than the equivalent sled gear it just doesn't stand up. I wrecked a Columbia titanium jacket last year and my Mountain Hardwear bibs will be lucky to survive one more season. Previously I have destroyed 3 other pairs of high end ski/board pants.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until the last few years the technology in ski gear was way better. Seems some sled companies have finally discovered gore-tex and the like so we aren't limited to crappy choko and insert tool company here jackets. I used to wear ski gear and unless you get really top end stuff (arcteryx, etc) that seems to cost more than the equivalent sled gear it just doesn't stand up. I wrecked a Columbia titanium jacket last year and my Mountain Hardwear bibs will be lucky to survive one more season. Previously I have destroyed 3 other pairs of high end ski/board pants.

Alsmost all ski stuff isn't as tough as sled wear. We have to engineer our own fabrics for the sled industry. We are our own animal.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alsmost all ski stuff isn't as tough as sled wear. We have to engineer our own fabrics for the sled industry. We are our own animal.
Sniped one of your recession jackets on big time blowout pricing. I'll probably get some rekon bibs next year. I do like the built in knee pad in the klim's though.

mfguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sniped one of your recession jackets on big time blowout pricing. I'll probably get some rekon bibs next year. I do like the built in knee pad in the klim's though.

The rekon and the Big mountian all have removeable knee pads. If you get a new pair you will be famous in some circles.

Polaris USED to have eVent in their line. We took the exclusive from them. there is still some Polaris stuff out on closeout here and there if you can find it. We commercialized heavy fabrics then Polaris did and engineered them specifically for the rider. Ski guys don't totally get what hell we put our stuff through.

They have never met a running board with a knee...

Top Bottom