Coopers

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm taking my quad to Coopers here in Edmonton for some maintenance and was wondering how the service is if anyone knows? I just want to know if thier michanics do good or bad work. Thanks for any feedback :d

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a bunch of work done there 2 yrs ago when they where still out in Beaumont. The work was good as far as I could tell but it took a longgggggg time, he said it was supplier isseus:rolleyes:

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm taking my quad to Coopers here in Edmonton for some maintenance and was wondering how the service is if anyone knows? I just want to know if thier michanics do good or bad work. Thanks for any feedback :d

What kind of maintenance are ya doing to it? Because if it isn't anything to serious you can probably do it yourself...just sayin!:)

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Roadhawg on 17street. Small business, one dude, does good work for a major overhaul. He got my banshee motor runnning.

Sent from my white iPhone 4

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guy's.. Just FYI Coopers sucks big time. I took it in this morning and asked the service rep to do a oil change, change the spark plugs and inspect by belt and BEFORE changing it to call me and we would go from there. I get a call about 3 hours later saying the service is done and the bill is 400 some odd $. The service rep is telling me that while they had the belt cover off they decided to change the belt to a new one because there was some wear on my old belt. I asked him if he remembers what I told him about calling me before changing the belt. He back peddled and said well well well.. I broke it by asking how much the belt was and he said 175$!!!! I was thinking to myself wow that belt must be made out of gold. And if I could recall right the belt at Rapid revolutions is 110 for a heavy duty. I did not bring this up because I want to confirm this price is right. I call Kevin and sure enough there belt is 110$ for the heavy duty one. When I went to go pickup my quad at coopers I gave the guy two choices.. he either lowers the price of the belt to 110 from 175 or takes it off and I'm not paying anything for installation to put it on or take it off. He tried to show me that the cost for them is 150 and I told him it's still not 110 and to take it off because I'm not paying that. So 40min later they took the new belt off and put the old on back on and I have booked the quad in with rapid revolutions tomorrow to have them install a new belt and check my breaks because according to the coopers inspection they are 20% in the back and 5% in the front and I only have 200km on the quad :rolleyes: I don't know why people can't just be fair and honest when it comes to mechanic work. Both Cycleworks and Coopers have bent me over. The only honest ones that I have found so far are Rapid revolutions and Brokers Marine and Sports.

Reason I don't do the work myself are twofold. I don't have the time to fix and also the quad is still under warranty and I don't want Polaris to make any excuses on how I might have voided my warranty by doing work myself instead of a authorized Polaris dealer.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO, warranty is bogus anywhere, the dealer can always say "operator abuse" which is never covered under warranty...

You got learn to do the maintenance your self, and make time.....it sucks.... I know....there are sites like snow and mud to help when you get stuck

I have been to that coopers and some guy working there didn't do much to earn my business (I was asking about quad rear boxes, storage) so I walked out.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Next time bring your popo to my house, well open the garage door, crack a cold one and fix or maintain the quad ourselves !!!!

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hence why I don't bother with warranties. You're better off spending the money on a service manual and some specialty tools to do the work yourself. Everyone talks about how the work is free on warranty but you still end up incurring parts costs on wear items (usually inflated prices) plus time off work and fuel cost to get the thing to the dealer, not to mention downtime on the machine. Plus shops charge book rate on everything so the techs are always taking shortcuts to get the job done as quick as possible so they can squeeze in an extra job or two; not enough attention to detail for my liking.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a truck of of this person when he used to sell trucks out of his yard , be VERY, VERY CAREFULL is all i will say....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you only have 200 k on your quad,unless your running 30inch tires + i really dought you need a new belt....A lot of 850 `s are getting 2000 k to a belt. I would have Kevin look at the belt, it would not hurt to carry a spare but my guess is you don`t need a new one...What tires are you running ?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cycleworks has screwed me over too, when I lost my brake line on my XP I told them to call me back with an estimate of the cost to either order one in versus take one off the showroom unit (the snowroom unit would cost more because of more labour involved) The next day I got a call saying I owe them $260 bucks because they took the line off a show room model.... Thanks for that estimate. They also overcharged me 18 bucks for a Kawasaki owners manual for my Brute...... Yay.... I got refunded, but still....

I got 6 months of papers of screwing over I've had to pay for (Nice warranty...). Today I got a letter in the mail from Polaris asking for an evaluation of Cycleworks Motorsports, and my experience with them..... Lets just say that nothing scored over a 5, average was about a 3 our of 10.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. live and learn I suppose. I will have to take Ryan (STYKO) up on his offer and let him show me a thing or two :) Just pisses me off when they insult your intelligence. Maybe some other poor sucker will read this thread and avoid both places and save themselves a huge head ache. The reason I had them inspect my belt was because on the rocky rail line ride I smoked it a bit so I wanted them to inspect it and tell me how bad it was. Notice how I said inspect here and not replace lol Dip stick was suppose to call me. And as you said.. it would not hurt to have a spare which is what I was thinking of doing if it got smoked bad enough... them bastards never did tell me how bad it was just that they put a new one in lol

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you feel the flat spot on take off and did it chatter after ? If not i would not worry , you must of been in highrange when you shoulda been in low i take it .....

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you feel the flat spot on take off and did it chatter after ? If not i would not worry , you must of been in highrange when you shoulda been in low i take it .....

Ahaha yup you got it... and wheels didnt move and I smelt burning rubber. I do not notice any difference from before and after.. it feels the same.. I just want to be sure, I don't want the damn thing to break and I get to walk home lol

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Coopers, they don't go the extra mile to make a sale. I'm one to haggle when I can, especially when looking at quads. They wouldn't budge on the price. If they don't want to deal, then they can keep what ever they are selling. I had 8K to buy a new quad with, the quad was 7600, they did not want to sweeten the deal with a winch. Ok, maybe they didn't have that much room in the budget. Seemed like a real tight ass. After tax the quad ran for 8074 I believe, I asked if he'd take 8K even (now I'm being nice, 8K OTD, cash) He says "Nope, can't do that." Ok, c'mon buddy, I know you are being tight, but thats just rediculous... Won't come down 70 bucks. :rolleyes: Wow..

After that, I found a private sale, quad was in way better condition, no tax, and I haggled. What a champ.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahaha yup you got it... and wheels didnt move and I smelt burning rubber. I do not notice any difference from before and after.. it feels the same.. I just want to be sure, I don't want the damn thing to break and I get to walk home lol

Always pack a spare and the RIGHT TOOLS to change but i would not worry, sounds not to bad.If you have a free hour take the cover of and remove the belt and clean your clutchs...It`s a hell of alot easier to a do for the second time than first time in the middle of nowhere....And pack the tools that worked well for you,that go`s double on the 850:beer::beer:

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh Quadboy that explains why he couldn't do the math to figure out that he would have been better off dropping the belt to 110 and charging me the labor.. So his belt was 175 and rapids is 110 and he told me his cost on the belt is 150 so even if I pressed him and he agreed to 110 and then he gets me to pay the 1 hour labor of 85$ he would make more money than the cost he ate with his tech spending 40min putting on the belt and another 40min taking it off to put on the old one and then being stuck with a belt in stock and not sold plus not getting paid for any of that labor. So sure he saved 40$ but he lost the 85 in labor and the sale of the belt.. bottom line he's a idiot not to do this math.. he's too busy being cheap and looking at the small picture of losing a measly 40$ off the belt and not the big picture ahahahaha

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ohh Quadboy that explains why he couldn't do the math to figure out that he would have been better off dropping the belt to 110 and charging me the labor.. So his belt was 175 and rapids is 110 and he told me his cost on the belt is 150 so even if I pressed him and he agreed to 110 and then he gets me to pay the 1 hour labor of 85$ he would make more money than the cost he ate with his tech spending 40min putting on the belt and another 40min taking it off to put on the old one and then being stuck with a belt in stock and not sold plus not getting paid for any of that labor. So sure he saved 40$ but he lost the 85 in labor and the sale of the belt.. bottom line he's a idiot not to do this math.. he's too busy being cheap and looking at the small picture of losing a measly 40$ off the belt and not the big picture ahahahaha

Thats pretty funny right there.

It reminds me of when you go to a drivethru and your total is something along the lines of 4.91 and you hand them a 5 and a penny. They look at you confused... Just gimme a dime and my food! I tried to make it easy for them but they can't figure out why I gave a penny. :rolleyes:

Anyways, good on yah you shoved it back in his face, I hope sooner or later he realizes his mistake... It's no wonder he doesn't have a contract with any manufactures.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And what kills me even more about this whole thing, not only did he loose money but he made me post how bad Coopers RV service is on a quading enthusiast forum where thousands of people dedicated to quading come to read. I really hope he comes on this forum and realizes how stupid he was. I think it would have been easier to take my money even though he screwed up and then me walk away satisfied and not posting on a large forum ahaha.

MUDISFUN

Reaction score
Hence why I don't bother with warranties. You're better off spending the money on a service manual and some specialty tools to do the work yourself. Everyone talks about how the work is free on warranty but you still end up incurring parts costs on wear items (usually inflated prices) plus time off work and fuel cost to get the thing to the dealer, not to mention downtime on the machine. Plus shops charge book rate on everything so the techs are always taking shortcuts to get the job done as quick as possible so they can squeeze in an extra job or two; not enough attention to detail for my liking.

They all suck!!!! What I find is they are expensive and ridiculously slow. Every time I take a machine in somewhere it's gone for a minimum 2 weeks.
What these guys need is some compitition, a shop with some good machanics, and does $h!t in a timely manner. The joke is they work on ten machines at once and never stock frig all for parts.

Top Bottom