Cool Guns

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suddenly want a 1911. Such a good looking piece. You're right, they do shoot great.

But a new Glock 19 would be nice too....The glocks are a great pistol as well.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For $350 a "Chinese Junk" 1911 is a very good way to find out if you like a 1911 style pistol. A little work on the trigger and they are as good as any mainstream 1911.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For $350 a "Chinese Junk" 1911 is a very good way to find out if you like a 1911 style pistol. A little work on the trigger and they are as good as any mainstream 1911.
The ones I have shot needed more then trigger work. But I have only shot a couple of them. Parts for a 1911 are endless too. You get get as extreme as you want. I have only changed the grips on mine. Here is the before and after.
1919259_194003466805_5808283_n.jpg

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of conventional 1911's 45's, they seem narrow or something in the backstrap. That pic looks nice though, might have to buy another one and give them an honest try again. Maybe another Chicom, that way I won't feel bad when it sits there in the back of the safe for a few years.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not go to some of the rental ranges around and shoot some different pistols? Some will fit and point natural, others not so much.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why not go to some of the rental ranges around and shoot some different pistols? Some will fit and point natural, others not so much.

Great suggestion, I think I'll do just that. Thanks
I've heard the range in WEM has a pretty good selection

Sent from my iPad

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just remember the guns for rent are usually beat to crap. Gives you a good idea though.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's right. If it's stamped 556 it's usually a restricted weapon. My XCR is stamped 223 rem but that's how it's shipped across the border. They told me it's way less of a headache for them and you can shoot all the 556 you want through it. NATO is a big black scary word. 223 rem sounds better. Lol

My Mossberg MVP is stamped 5.56 so good to shoot both. I shoot .223 Winchester 45g HP rounds at a 3600FPS velocity. You can get .223 rounds that are factory loaded up to 3800 FPS.
With that type of velocity you chamber pressures must be getting into the 60-65,000 range??? Exactly how is a NATO supposedly loaded hotter if you do not see greater a velocity. Even with heavier projectiles the NATO rounds are nothing super special compared to a .223 round with the same lead. Both are designed for max velocity in 20" barrels so uless you handload longer barrels are no advantage.
Is there published data somewhere on NATO amo? I have never bought any NATO stamped amo just the junk American Eagle 223 which is good for 3" groupings and only about 3100FPS. You can shoot under 1" groups with the Winchester amo and its way hotter at 3600FPS but costs double what the AE amo is.
Just random thoughts as I have never heard of a .223 stamped chamber fail.

Last edited:

tipper

Reaction score
Have looked at the mvp patrol but i'm a little bit skepticle of rifles built by mossberg. Maybe I should mod up a 700 or vanguard?

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never buy another remington again. POS. I think it was NBC that had a one hour long special on the company. Look it up and watch it if you can before buying one.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good bolt or possibly semi 5.56 with a bull barrel n.r. for target shooting that won't require a second mortgage?
Would love an xcr but can't afford one.

Another vote for Tikka. I have a SS heavy barrel Very accurate out of the box rifle. Mines a .243 but it's very solid quality toy

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have looked at the mvp patrol but i'm a little bit skepticle of rifles built by mossberg. Maybe I should mod up a 700 or vanguard?

My MVP is the Varmit series and it shoots well under 1" groups. Come with a so so scope but it is a $650 gun including scope so don't expect the world. Feels a bit smallish in size.
The only downside is feeding, definatly no a smooth feeding bolt. Does not jam but not smooth at all. Supposedly they "break in" but mine is the same afte 600 rounds.

Have a 3 1/2" Mosberg pump and this .223 for Mosbergs. You get what you pay for and both were half the price of a comparable Remington or Browning.
Both function but not setting new standards.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never buy another remington again. POS. I think it was NBC that had a one hour long special on the company. Look it up and watch it if you can before buying one.

I have a Remington Sendaro in 300 Ultra. Super accurate gun and finish is flawless. Reminton does have the trigger recall that is ongoing but is the only issue. This is a wear/time failure but I know of no other recalls on the 700 series rifles. This must be a huge if not break the bank deal for Remington. Unless there are more guys like me that just put a trigger in at personal cost.
I put a Timney in with a 2.5# setting and would never sell my 300. Smooth feeding and accurate with more than enough juice to take down anything in North America.

Now there may be some bad shooting Remintons out there but my favorite gunsmith still swears that out of the box a Remington is still the best value on the market. Not the best rifle on the maket but the best rifle in it's price range. He calls anything under $600 of any make a toaster (he believes Remington has the fewest toasters) - after you use it a bit it wears out (quickly) and is just a throw away.
He even went on to say that a 700 series 270 WSM (this is not in the toaster series) will shoot every bit as accurate as the Weatherby 270RC that I have ordered that he will soon be doing some custom work on. The Reminton is half the cost of the Bee.
I believe in buying a few guns from each maker to see how they perform - wifey not agree on this so much!

Last edited:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far back are they going for the trigger? Been a some what known issue for 40 some years??? I would have to watch the documentary again to know

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just took my 700BDL 300win mag to Corlaines in Dawson and had them replace the trigger with an aftermarket one that they recommended and it was 200 bucks and they then installed it for free, as for Remington this will also be the last rifle of theirs I buy, using triggers that are bad for so many years is kinda crazy....I have purchased several Tikka rifles recently and I am super happy so far !!!!

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How far back are they going for the trigger? Been a some what known issue for 40 some years??? I would have to watch the documentary again to know

I do not believe tht there is a time limit as to when the gun was produced. This goes back to when the 700 series was introduced. If you gunserial number is listed you get a new trigger free of cost. Mine had the newer X Mark Pro trigger and it was on the list as was a guys X MarkPro from work. The recall spans the full timeline of the Model 700 series and several different rigger designs. Sorry but I am not fully versed as to why more than one trigger assemly is affected.
I did not want to send my gun in and have it gone for ????????? getting a free trigger from Reminton so I put an aftermarket trigger in that is well rated. Was gonna put in a Jewel but some say they do not handle the grime of being in the field as well as a Timmney. A Jewel is supposedly a better bench trigger though. The Timney is every bit as crisp as the orginal Remington trigger and can be set down to a lighter pull but not as light as a Jewel can be set.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not believe tht there is a time limit as to when the gun was produced. This goes back to when the 700 series was introduced. If you gunserial number is listed you get a new trigger free of cost. Mine had the newer X Mark Pro trigger and it was on the list as was a guys X MarkPro from work. The recall spans the full timeline of the Model 700 series and several different rigger designs. Sorry but I am not fully versed as to why more than one trigger assemly is affected.
I did not want to send my gun in and have it gone for ????????? getting a free trigger from Reminton so I put an aftermarket trigger in that is well rated. Was gonna put in a Jewel but some say they do not handle the grime of being in the field as well as a Timmney. A Jewel is supposedly a better bench trigger though. The Timney is every bit as crisp as the orginal Remington trigger and can be set down to a lighter pull but not as light as a Jewel can be set.

I put a Timmney on mine 700 and like it so far

Top Bottom