Contemplating getting a trailer

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have a two year contract coming up in Sechelt with Hydro, I've been looking for places to stay and it seems like most places on kijji/cl that seem decent have already been rented or are upwards of 1k a month.

I have been throwing around the idea of buying a bumper pull trailer and just parking it at a trailer park. The main pro to this being I'd have a trailer at the end of my 2 year term instead of feeding a dead horse for 2 years. I have sent off emails to all the parks I found in the sunshine coast area to see who offers the lowest monthly pad fee, so far 575 for 3 months is the winner located in Gibsons.

I think its a good idea but I have a lot of research to do in order to execute it well. I've never had a trailer before and drive a 13 f150 4x4 5.0 screw lwb pickup, my question for the rv gurus on here is what would be the best setup for me? All I realistically need is a kitchen, bathroom and a bed, so would it be ideal for me to go as small as I could go for length? I would think tank capacities wouldn't matter to me a whole lot b/c it'd be parked on a serviced pad. But then again if in 2 years I decide to resell it maybe a bigger trailer would be better?

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're living in it, probably 90% of trailer layouts are not the one you want. You want a proper mattress and a shower that you aren't constantly hitting the walls. A comfortable couch where you can see the TV without craning your neck

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely consider an older motorhome as well. The big boys can be had for cheap in the right season. Then after you are done you can turn it into a meth lab....

Got one for sale. Going back on the market in another month or so.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are living in it, also look for dual pane windows and better insulation. You might want to get heated tanks if available just in case. All of this is good advice depending on how much you want to spend and what is available. I imagine there must be lots of lightly used product available given the economy.

If I was parked for two years, I would still consider a trailer a bit heavier than a half ton towable as these are usually just better built. You can either sell when you are finished or maybe upgrade to a 3/4 ton.

Kyle89

Reaction score
If you're gonna live in it for two years I'd go as big as your truck will legally tow. The new lightweight trailers are making this a lot easier. You'll be surprised how small that trailers gonna get after the first 6 months living in it!
I'm going with what he said. I have a 24' trailer with slide and while it's perfect for camping and traveling, Iv spent 6 weeks in it for work and I was definately wanting more space/comfortable relax time. At the end of your 2 year job, if it's to big for what you want to do recreationally, sell it. Your already way ahead from not paying rent at house/hotel/ect..

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While you are looking for places to stay make sure you have full hookups. If you have to move to dump it will suck. Some camps will have a guy that comes around but it is much better to just pull the pin and dump when needed.

I also agree with the bigger trailer. Even if you have to have someone deliver at first and get a bigger truck later on. We stayed in the motorhome for a month waiting to take possession of our house and you learn quick about small spaces.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest trailer you can buy. Lived in a 30' motor home with no slide outs for the summer and sucked on those rainy evenings/days. Not sure if you single but if you wanna impress some chick gotta make sure you have a decent pad...
Definitely get one with slide outs and biggest you can pull. If I was you I'd see what's on kijiji then negotiate delivery or pay someone a few bucks if it's too big for your truck. Bumper pull 30' trailers can generally found cheap since nobody wants them... big trucks want fifth wheel or bigger while 1/2 tons wants smaller trailers.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go smaller than the the trailer attached in the link.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While you are looking for places to stay make sure you have full hookups. If you have to move to dump it will suck. Some camps will have a guy that comes around but it is much better to just pull the pin and dump when needed.

Make sure that you fill the black tanks first before dumping. That way the liquid waste in the tank will keep the solids from solidifying in your tank and helps to flush it down the sewer. If not, eventually when you look into the toilet, it'll look like a chocolate ice cream with a DQ twist on top. Like outhouses. And cleaning a solidified tank...sucks.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
I'm currently living in my fifth wheel while building a new house. Its not ideal but its really not that bad...and were a family of 4 but the kids are both under 3. Its has 4 slides, dual pane windows, 2 furnaces from the factory and enclosed belly. I skirted the trailer for the winter and have 2 electric heaters running under it 24/7. I have a moniter in the trailer to check temp under the trailer. It will stay around zero under the trailer in -20.

I have a 250 gallon water tank under the neck that i pump water into the trailer tank. Handi can comes and pumps me out when i need it. I have a pig tank of course for propane. Things you should look for when buying that people haven't noted is an oversized fridge... we have a 4 door unit and its still full. You'll also need to put a trouble light in the fridge to stop it from freezing.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"Things you should look for when buying that people haven't noted is an oversized fridge... we have a 4 door unit and its still full. You'll also need to put a trouble light in the fridge to stop it from freezing."

Are you referring to putting the rouble light into the panel of the fridge on the outside of the trailer?

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, the place at Gibsons has full hookup including sewer at each pad. I found a 29 footer: keystone passport grand touring ultra lite | RVs, motorhomes | Prince George | Kijiji
But it does not have the winter package. Realistically I wish I could go new but its just not in the budget.
After doing some research I'd like to get one with the winter package, and do skirting around the trailer with a space heater there just incase. From my understanding the sunshine coast is fairly warm, but they are having an unusually cold winter right now.

As far as an older motorhome I was told they don't allow anything older than 2000 for longterm parking. There is also this fellow that is right in Sechelt: https://sunshine.craigslist.ca/rvs/5944570431.html
It fits my budget pretty good but it is an older one where I'd be concerned about water damage and whatnot.

Skidoo6100 is it fairly cold where you are?

skidoo6100

Reaction score
gdhillon, we have probably had a few days near -30 and 7-12 days of -20, so yes...

52weekbreak, yes in the outside panel of the fridge. We had one cold night with a wind and it blew the cold air in one vent and out the other and froze the refrigerant. The fridge would try to run but wouldn't cool. Blocked off most of the bottom vent and placed a trouble light with a 40 watt bulb has done the trick. Some manufactures make a cold weather kit for RV fridges but you really need to take the fridge out to do a proper install job.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very good point. You need to have plan b,c,d and more for the winter. If things freeze it is hard to get it all moving again. Including dumping your tanks.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to make sure about where you're going to park...are they going to put a meter on the your water and power or is it a flat rate? Some places do install meters and if they put one on the power side, could get pricey. Just a thought...

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Being on the coast they have very warm winters: the chart starts in January.
Average low °C (°F)2.2
(36)
(36.5)
(39.4)
(43)
(48)
(53.1)
(56.5)
(56.7)
(52)
(45.9)
(39.4)
(35.4)
(45.1)
Record low °C (°F)−15.6
(3.9)
−12
(10)
−8.3
(17.1)
−3.3
(26.1)
−2.2
(28)
(39)
(41.9)
(42.1)
(32)
−3
(27)
−12.2
(10)
−17.8
(0)
−17.8

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, the place at Gibsons has full hookup including sewer at each pad. I found a 29 footer: keystone passport grand touring ultra lite | RVs, motorhomes | Prince George | Kijiji
But it does not have the winter package. Realistically I wish I could go new but its just not in the budget.
After doing some research I'd like to get one with the winter package, and do skirting around the trailer with a space heater there just incase. From my understanding the sunshine coast is fairly warm, but they are having an unusually cold winter right now.

Keep looking. That is a lot of money for a fairly average trailer. I know this is not what you are looking for but see what is available for 20K

2010 Copper Canyon Fifth Wheel. 38 feet long | travel trailers, campers | Edmonton | Kijiji

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Keep looking. That is a lot of money for a fairly average trailer. I know this is not what you are looking for but see what is available for 20K

2010 Copper Canyon Fifth Wheel. 38 feet long | travel trailers, campers | Edmonton | Kijiji

That is a nice one, from what Ive seen Alberta has a lot better prices than BC for trailers. Makes me wonder how much of a hassle it would be to get it registered in BC.

I see that they do have warmer temps, I was thinking of the winter package to eliminate any potential worries about coming home to frozen pipes. But I was also thinking of putting skirting up for next year just in case sort of thing. I also have found that the trailers with winter packages are a bit heavier.

Top Bottom