Conditions at Cypress Hills Sask

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Anyone been sledding out there recently and can report on snow depth, conditions, etc??

It was decent early in the week last week and we were there on Saturday. Lots of base but the new snow was melting and settling FAST...was above zero all day. We still had a blast but they will need some new snow before its great again. But for somewhere that is close it was fine...

We got snow here this week but I dont know if they got it or not...

whiskeythrottle

Reaction score
Thanks Longhorn, I was wondering if they got the same warm weather we did and it sounds like they did... It could be pretty minimal snow conditions then as I don't think they got any of the new snow that we did here. I think I'm gonna give it a try anyways, I gotta test out my new exhaust and gen III ski's and fine tune my clutching for our Crowsnest Pass trip next weekend!!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are out at Cypress nearly every weekend. Larry's folks own a cabin out there. We will be headed out Sunday for the week. They have excellent snow this year...best I have seen in 7 or 8 years. But like Longhorn said it did warm up quite a bit last week and turned the powder into a more condensed pack. Still plenty of untouched in our secret areas!!;)

Jan

killerrf

Reaction score
sure seems to be alot down there. according to this US snow map

Attachments

• 2xus_snow.gif
    2xus_snow.gif
    59.6 KB · Views: 446

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The snow at Cypress was very hard pack due to the high temperatures. It snowed about 2-3 inches overnight so one should be able to ride around with out overheating a sled now.

whiskeythrottle

Reaction score
The snow at Cypress was very hard pack due to the high temperatures. It snowed about 2-3 inches overnight so one should be able to ride around with out overheating a sled now.

Has anyone been out there at all lately since the melt? I'm thinking they should have a fair bit of fresh snow after this storm, but I'm not sure what base is underneath it??? Might go check it out tomorrow...

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im just wondering if there are any cabins that can be rented in cypress that you can ride from. wanting to plan a trip to there for next year but google has been no help so far.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Hi Andy

No you can not ride from the cabins at Cypress. The cabins are down at the hotel and the riding area is up top. Please please please do not even attempt to ride from the cabins to the staging area. Every year we go through the same thing with the parks guys they threaten to shut down the sledding in the park because people are riding out of bounds. This year I have taked extensively with them about this and try to educate people. Unfortunately it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Take care
Jan

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy

No you can not ride from the cabins at Cypress. The cabins are down at the hotel and the riding area is up top. Please please please do not even attempt to ride from the cabins to the staging area. Every year we go through the same thing with the parks guys they threaten to shut down the sledding in the park because people are riding out of bounds. This year I have taked extensively with them about this and try to educate people. Unfortunately it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

Take care
Jan

thanks for the info. it would be awesome to be able to just hop on it the morning and sled from a cabin. i know other places are like that. just wondering, is there anything that can be done like a designated trail to and from the staging area in the future? i've never been there before so i don't know the layout of the area. thanks

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Were you out today Longhorn? I didn't see your rig there. The snow is definitely set we spent most of our time riding around in the trees. There is still some deep stuff!!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Were you out today Longhorn? I didn't see your rig there. The snow is definitely set we spent most of our time riding around in the trees. There is still some deep stuff!!

Sadly no...work again...so tired of smashed plans LOL. I keep hoping for some sort of breakup but we just arent seeing it yet...

Glad to hear you had a good ride though...

whiskeythrottle

Reaction score
Looks like snow again this weekend up there, has anybody been out there at all in the last while who can give a snow report? Still lots of snow on the bench so we were thinking of going for a ride on Sunday if there's enough snow to sled still??? :Ponder:

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
They shut the park down on April 3rd despite getting assurances from the parks guys that they would leave it open until the snow conditions were poor....GRRRRRRR!!!!! Don't even get me started on this!!!

Jan

Top Bottom