Con rods breaking on turbo motors...

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I realize I'm leaving a little performance on the table to try for reliability. But even with boosted oil pump and mixing @40:1 you wouldn't know it. My 11etec went down mag side @ approx. 4400km/2000km on boost, non intercooled @5lbs boost. running t 8000-9000f elevation, mixing tank @ 50:1 with no oil pump boost running straight av. So im really sure it wasn't det related. Currently running 7lbs boost oil pump boosted snow to air intercooled with 8000km/4000+boosted with 30% av. running strong still. Sled owes me nothing so I'm gonna run it till it drops. I wanna know how long it will actually last.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the sabre oil, if it does what it says it does then should be a great product.. But I didn't see them testing there blowers with snow blankets heat sogging the engines running at 40-100% over there duty cycles like our turbo sleds are run.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As for the sabre oil, if it does what it says it does then should be a great product.. But I didn't see them testing there blowers with snow blankets heat sogging the engines running at 40-100% over there duty cycles like our turbo sleds are run.

I agree. They aren't bagging the products by any means. I was told by TSS to run straight Av. Don't even mess with the oil settings. I also talked to a fellow at motor tech (mechanic) in golden and he said that he didn't mess with the oil pump settings at all and wouldn't recommend it. But, with my mechanical background i can't understand why it would be a bad thing to run more oil in the fuel. He had 7k on his aerocharger before he pulled it and rebuilt it.

So, at this point to me it sort of feels like a "do what you want" type deal.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it's do as you want or feel. So far my scenario is working better for me than doing what they have been recommending. Which is practically nothing oil related, all octane related, which if you follow what linderman and other etec builders say 100 ll straight will make your bottom end suffer which it does. Now with the older tss kits I have rode with the boost spike is pretty high, like sometimes upward of 14lbs when the turbo spools so maybe that's why they want more octane to fight det. I dunno but I want too lol.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree it's do as you want or feel. So far my scenario is working better for me than doing what they have been recommending. Which is practically nothing oil related, all octane related, which if you follow what linderman and other etec builders say 100 ll straight will make your bottom end suffer which it does. Now with the older tss kits I have rode with the boost spike is pretty high, like sometimes upward of 14lbs when the turbo spools so maybe that's why they want more octane to fight det. I dunno but I want too lol.

I think the internal waste gate is pretty good on mine, i haven't ever seen over 10. I try and keep it around 7-8. How did your sled run on pure AV? i've heard of aerochargers bogging a little bit on pure av in the alpine. I read somewhere around here also; 0-5000ft pure av gas for not sure of the brand of turbo, but over 5000ft the av gas will run boggy down low. So i was thinking of running a little bit of premium. As my sled never bogs at low altitude, but will over rev as my clutches are set for the alpine.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With 100llstraight, the sled ran but was all over the place. one day strong other days two second lag. I slowly started cutting my fuel with shell 91 and a about 50% things cleaned up pretty good, at 30% runs almost stock like and I still run wot in the fields around home and have never hit the knock yet.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always heard never to add oil to the tank of an etec as they don't like that? Maybe turning the oil pump up is better then adding to the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some say yay some say nay.. I have for many miles @40:1 plus pump boosted up. Works good for me.. I will forever, on my next one I will also..

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They (the nay sayers) also have said don't run straight av gas its too dry it will wreck everything. That's been proven wrong many times over on that too. I've logged over 6000km with oil in the tank on two etecs and never had an injector issue..

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't have no experience with adding oil or running av just what I have heard and read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol' Sarge

Reaction score
I realize I'm leaving a little performance on the table to try for reliability. But even with boosted oil pump and mixing @40:1 you wouldn't know it. My 11etec went down mag side @ approx. 4400km/2000km on boost, non intercooled @5lbs boost. running t 8000-9000f elevation, mixing tank @ 50:1 with no oil pump boost running straight av. So im really sure it wasn't det related. Currently running 7lbs boost oil pump boosted snow to air intercooled with 8000km/4000+boosted with 30% av. running strong still. Sled owes me nothing so I'm gonna run it till it drops. I wanna know how long it will actually last.
That is great info. Thanks. Hopefully a few more guys will try your recipe and we get some more feedback.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is great info. Thanks. Hopefully a few more guys will try your recipe and we get some more feedback.

Just filled my slip tank with 27% of capacity (i figure) 91 premium from shell. See if that fixes the bogging issue at altitude.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well should help but might want to not cut the fuel in the slip tank, just blend as you need, av will stay fresh longer in a steel slip than the 91, Now that your at approx. 27% makes it harder to change if its not quite what you need..

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well should help but might want to not cut the fuel in the slip tank, just blend as you need, av will stay fresh longer in a steel slip than the 91, Now that your at approx. 27% makes it harder to change if its not quite what you need..

Just put in 25 litres so it shouldn't take me too long to blast through it. hope it helps tho!

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know how to read the piston top. Is that signs of det? or frags being drawn up into the combustion chamber?

Top Bottom