Con rods breaking on turbo motors...

chad006

Reaction score
In my opinion that is a bit of both, based on what I saw I leaned out and heat soaked turbo which raised charge temps high enough to det. I also believe that my crank was not completely true either whether it was from a blown belt previous to me owning it or it could have been out from the factory. The det was the finishing touch on the rod though. Rod let go at WOT.

Backcountrypro

Reaction score
Is it just me or is their a common theme here.....detonation? Possible running a little too lean with not enough octane is asking for problems? Just a observation....

Backcountrypro

Reaction score
One other thing...someone mentioned boost spikes. If you have a Turbosmart Boost tee you can remove a check valve in the boost tee and it will completely eliminate any boost spikes. I removed mine two years ago without any problems and now it builds consistent boost. I can see how a combo of too low of octane and hitting boost spikes of 14+lbs day in and day out could cause problems.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TS-0101-1001-BT.pdf

Last edited:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One other thing...someone mentioned boost spikes. If you have a Turbosmart Boost tee you can remove a check valve in the boost tee and it will completely eliminate any boost spikes. I removed mine two years ago without any problems and now it builds consistent boost. I can see how a combo of too low of octane and hitting boost spikes of 14+lbs day in and day out could cause problems.

http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/TS-0101-1001-BT.pdf

Next time i'll ride and see if i have any spikes, but i don't think so. Thanks for the info!

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ski dooooooo

Last edited:

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FredW and his doo had another bad day yesterday...blows me away why you guys keep dumping money into these things and struggle to make them work when their is far further advanced technology available. How frustrating.

From what I understand about yesterday Fred's misfortune has nothing to do with the motor at all. What blows my mind is why you'd post this picture in this thread.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The post above beat me home.. I broke a bolt fastening lower A -arm..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it was a titanium bolt.. Not sure if lock nut came off or bolt snapped, could not find either after..

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well sad to report another pto rod gone on Aerocharger..

this was on a buddys sled yesterday, last hr of the day, last hill of the day, last pull..

i drove it a few hrs befor and machine was dialled in very very good.. 12.8 a/f 8 lbs boost, in Revy again on one of those wetter, warmer, always changing type of days

sled was climbing some very impressive lines and no popping or over reving.. Running a 50/ 50 mix of pump and race 110.. No codes all day

came off of a good pull and drove to bottom, made a circle and pined it.. Two seconds later pop.. Exactly similar to what I had..

would love to know if it's tune related some how, or just a lack of rod strength.. Just a plss off

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm tacked on another 350km this weekend in the same weather and conditions with mine, afr reading 12.8-13.1 @ 7lbs, now grand total 8500km on all original, You know what i think your problem is.... Denial..

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm tacked on another 350km this weekend in the same weather and conditions with mine, afr reading 12.8-13.1 @ 7lbs, now grand total 8500km on all original, You know what i think your problem is.... Denial..

So nothing over the 7lbs ? Just curious as have heard 8 and over isn't good and your not having trouble if you have always ran 7lbs?
Thanks

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what your referring to as denial?

sled was purchased over a year ago, turbo installed at dealer in Utaw.. And ran very since I have been told

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can an I ask what your fuel settings are at that elevation of Revy this last weekend.. I will find out what his was

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really don't pay to much attention to the settings anymore, I haven't touched the box for quite awhile. 1-3 off 4-half flash 5-six and a half and 6-I think five. Generally I just do a couple pulls at the start of he day for a base line and tune for popping. No matter what I set the box to I can never get to 12.5 and have any bottom end. If it dosent bog out of the hole I leave it alone. never more than 7lbs, back to running 50-50 av. What I was referring to with the denial was I read a post saying the crank don't need extra oil, that's where I disagree.. I have tracked my oil consumption, with boosted pump and what I put in the tank I burn @ 20:1 and don't baby it at all..

With the amount of bag session hours on it im expecting it to blowup but it never does... Is gotta be the oil. everything else is the same as everyone else... Good luck.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes you cold be onto something with the extra oil.. that sure seams like one of the more high mileage boosted doos .....your more thinking the lines of lack of bottom end lubricating putting extra stress on rod bearings??

I really don't pay to much attention to the settings anymore, I haven't touched the box for quite awhile. 1-3 off 4-half flash 5-six and a half and 6-I think five. Generally I just do a couple pulls at the start of he day for a base line and tune for popping. No matter what I set the box to I can never get to 12.5 and have any bottom end. If it dosent bog out of the hole I leave it alone. never more than 7lbs, back to running 50-50 av. What I was referring to with the denial was I read a post saying the crank don't need extra oil, that's where I disagree.. I have tracked my oil consumption, with boosted pump and what I put in the tank I burn @ 20:1 and don't baby it at all..

With the amount of bag session hours on it im expecting it to blowup but it never does... Is gotta be the oil. everything else is the same as everyone else... Good luck.

Top Bottom