Con rods breaking on turbo motors...

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you're right. not cheap, but who wants to spend another 3 after spending 7-10.... like... where does it end? haha!

Maybe you should give them a call before you make assumptions on the price.

The way I look at it is it's cheap insurance that shores up a proven weak point in these motors. Spend ~$2k on rods and a crank right now or spend $2k on a helicopter then another $4k on a motor if it does let go. I'd rather pay the $2k up front.

Doing turbos on a budget never usually works out.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The way I look at it is it's cheap insurance that shores up a proven weak point in these motors. Spend ~$2k on rods and a crank right now or spend $2k on a helicopter then another $4k on a motor if it does let go. I'd rather pay the $2k up front.

correction, 5500 for long block...

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I was saying it as a joke- "Call for pricing" usually means its expensive. I'm really not too concerned.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people on here were not to concered till it happened to them.. Makes for a ulgy day quick, but as more people start boost them this will not go away..

have two two motors built with rods now, and plan to do the third next time we take it apart, as stated its cheap insurance

talking this summer with the race department, they were not aware of any changes to rods on the two strokes, not good

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow! Yeah, like you said it will become a more popular topic when it starts happening to more people. I plan on different rods/pistons next summer, along with a few more goodies! Just don't have the space to change the rods right now.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had turned impulse turbo to 9lbs last trip out... It felt very strong pushing over 75mph track speeds, but I sure still had it in the back of my mind I was playing with fire..

mmagic

Mountain Magic Snow Machines
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainmagic.ca
Here they are image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a pm on the other fourm asking how the snow x rods holding up.. Said his buddys impulse kit lost pto rod threw case this last week in Yellowstone.. Was running 8 lbs and a few weeks before was at 10 to 12 a few days.. Sled ran perfect up to failure.. New motor will have aftermarket rods

So far with 6 days riding on the snow x rods it's been no issues.. And the guys Linderman has done have not had any to date as well

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Through a rod through the block on my stock 14 XM this weekend. Real heavy snow and was working hard all day but only had it at about half throttle when it went. I did have a turbo on the sled for about 400km last season. Put on roughly 600km since the turbo came off before the failure. Last trip out I had trouble with the sled falling on its face over half throttle, dealer found a problem with the fuel regulator bypassing and so not sure if it may have been running lean and that caused problems? Dropping it off tonight so we will see what they find.
On a side note we now know there is nowhere we can't get a sled out of. Happened in the worst spot I could think of. Got quoted 3300 for a chopper out of valemount so that wasn't an option. Ended up renting a chainsaw winch from alpine and yarded it out no problem!! Also huge thanks to Westlock Power Sports for lending me a demo sled for the day too. 2 174s tied together out down a lot of pulling power!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy popped a rod through his last weekend. 2013 XM with Boondocker kit. 5000km though.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard Custer just took one down as well on the aero.. Let's hope doo is listening with this new 17 motor and upgraded the rods some..

So so far the snow x rods been holding up..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just joined this club, 2013 aero at 7lbs 60/40 AV 1000km.

were you always at 7 boosted are did you increase it anytime while it was turboed.. I have been running 7 to 8 max on the impulse now and just turned over 1000km on it boosted... It's like playing with fire with the stock rods

chad006

Reaction score
Ya it did det a bit, I believe the fuel controller got wet as it started running very erratically and I think leaned out and popped a few times then ran great for five minutes then she let go. It's been set at 7lbs since I've owned it who knows before that. Ya I'm in the market for some billet rods now gonna call around Tuesday.

Last edited:

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it did det a bit, I believe the fuel controller got wet as it started running very erratically and I think leaned out and popped a few times then ran great for five minutes then she let go. It's been set at 7lbs since I've owned it who knows before that. Ya I'm in the market for some billet rods now gonna call around Tuesday. Might try and jump ship to an impulse kit and dump the aero.

You get any engine codes when you were detonating?

Top Bottom