Cold start -20 and bellow

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well it may depend on your sled...I have an M8 and M1000...started each year under -20 conditions. in fact last week it was -34 over night and warmed to -16 when we rode. For the 1000 it takes a few slow pulls to turn the engine over slowly, it will usally fire but not run and requires a little throttle when you pull. With the 1000 a one hand pull when that cold to enable holding a bit of throttle is tough...

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats it..like I say pull it over slow a couple times and then pull with one hand or have friend pull..just a little throttle and you will be running....let her warm up good on cold days..

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It does'nt matter what you're riding... at those temps your just lucky if it starts at all. Anytime the temperature is below -20 if it takes a few good pulls to start it and it runs you should be happy. Just let the thing come up to operating temps before riding it. Cold ceasure (sp) can be costly :(

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats everyones opinion on running sleds in cold temps, I'm talking -20 and below?
I am afraid to as last year one of my machines blew a rod, went right through the front. Sled was warmed up good. The weather was at least -20, snowing heavy, and we were just playing around in a feild, nothing extreme. It was a CAT ZL 600, with the attac system.
My kids want to ride ALL the time and I keep saying NO because its been -30 for a month (or so it feels like in Alberta). So, what your opinion on cold weather and running sleds? Is it hard on them? What are some things a person can do so they can ride in cold weather and prevent EXPENSIVE damage? Thanks:d

IFSM8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think there is anything wrong with cold weather running just make sure it is good and warm before you ride and make sure you run a good oil. Cold is hard on things but as long as you relize you cant jump or stunt on the machine it will be fine. just my 2 cents! Never had a issue up to -40.

SPDFREEK

Reaction score
Not a big deal to run at those temps just make sure the sled is good and warm and run 80:1 oil in your fuel. Good to go.

Never had a prob.

Later.
SPDFREEK.

Sparx

Reaction score
I never change my riding style (aggressive) in cold or warm and never have broke anything as a result either... I ride all the time all the way down to -40C. Dressing up warm is the key, garages work best at helping the sled start and stay warm enough to get to the ride location when close to town. When my sled has sat overnight in cold temps colder than -20C, I find my M1000 needs the throttle wedged open as mentioned slightly to catch fire and hold it running long enough to get started. I normally attach my tether when doing this by myself and use a small piece of ice or any kind of small debris to just crack the throttle and get ready to kill the machine if it was opened too much. Never had an issue and that trick works deadly on the M1000 making a big difference on wether it'll start or not in those cold temps. My Pro XR 800 even with high compression heads and welded decomp hole is still twice as easy to pull over as my M1000, go figure! I have started both outside at -35, the M1000 just took another 10-15 pulls more than my 800...

local legend

Reaction score
one thing to consider is flipping the choke lever on to full choke when you shut it down......some think it adds lube to the cyl, but I know from exp that the cables can freeze up and leave the choke froze off.

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also find flipping on the choke to shut the sled down makes cold starting much nicer. -35 took 2 pulls.:beer:

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 M7 EFI and here is what I do when it is cold out. I pull the cord very slowly twice only. Let it sit for couple of moments and then have a pull. Usually starts in one pull. Seems the first couple of pulls drops some fuel in the holes and cases the cylinders. Seems to work.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have recently switched to Amsoil synthetic because I got tired of paying too much for the Cat synth. I might have to switch back. The Amsoil made it way harder to pull on a cold start. At -15 it was almost a no go. You might try a different oil.

Top Bottom