Clutch indexed to crank?

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I am going to remove and clean/insepct my primary clutch on my xm. I am sure I read somewhere that the clutch is indexed to the crank. Is this true or bs? Never heard of that before. Is there match marks on the crank? Or am I just missing something? I Always just removed, rebuilt and reinstalled on my cat. I am aware of the match marks on the clutch components, not referring to these. Thanks in advance.

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes on the primary outer sheave you have 2 circles etched in it around the outside. The larger of the two is the one you line up with the scribe line on your crank output shaft.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not really a scribe line, but a line in paint pen. At least that's what mine was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you clean the paint off it's scribed under the paint I thought the same.

Lol right on!! I looked at that paint pen line last night and thought to myself wtf brp!! first time I had the primary off on the xm!! Lol thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Circled-Mistake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes on the primary outer shiv you have 2 circles etched in it around the outside. The larger of the two is the one you line up with the scribe line on your crank output shaft.

Heres my question ( dumb question maybe but) IF there is a scribe line on the OUTPUT shaft of the motor , and your supposed to align with the outer half of the Primary, how do you see the "scribe line" when the inner sheave is installed????

Am I reading this wrong or are you talking about the marks to align the two halves?? I cant seem to grasp how you align the outer half of the primary with a scribe line on the crank that is covered when the inner half of the primary is installed???

Thanks for clarifying and making it make sense to me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it's just for reference.
If the scribe line is at 12 o'clock you'd try to get the clutches match mark ( big circle)as close to 12 o'clock as possible, no point in putting the big circle of the clutch at 1 o'clock.
It's easy to do, I indexed my 2011 clutch to the crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoThEr TrUcKeR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said. I point the index mark towards the head then make sure when the primary goes on the large circle is toward the head as well

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What he said. I point the index mark towards the head then make sure when the primary goes on the large circle is toward the head as well

Just to clarify, there is also a smaller circle on the outer sheave. THIS lines up with the index mark on the other parts (arrow on spring cap, arrow on governer cup and notch on the back of the inner sheave.) Then hold the two sheaves together if you want and install the whole thing on the crank whilst aligning the line on the crank with the LARGER circle.

Two different index points

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Top Bottom