Chopper Rescuing

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, to catch up on this thread (or possibly start a new one), search and rescue cost in BC/Canada is not billed to the person requesting SAR? If I use my Spot device to request help, am I liable for the associated costs for rescue?
Yes, you are generally always liable for the cost. I had a buddy in Uni slip on the floor, hit his head and get a concussion (his 10th). The ambulance came, and took him to the hospital, which was only 2 blocks away. He got a bill a couple weeks later for almost 200$ to get taken 2 blocks. I guess our tax dollars are used to have these services available, but when we need them, they are pay as you go.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had an injury last year south of Revy around 8:30pm ( broken back ) Heli came from Comox and first heli out toasted an engine and had to return to base and switch birds. They landed around 1:30am to pick up him up and drop him at Kamloops hospital. 2 pilots and 2 medic's showed up. Since it was an actual injury he did not need to pay.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing I have insurance!
It covers recovery no matter where it is god forbid I ever need it.
$500 deductible isn't that bad considering what it is going to cost to pay for an army bird!!

Who are you insured through LBZ? That would be good coverage to have.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm insured by Wawanesa.
They way insurance works is that if you have collision coverage, and the machine is not rideable out of an area they have to recover it. They can't just leave it there even if it's a write off.
My buddy lost an atv down a steep gully way out west of Rocky and he had collision. Even though the quad was only worth 2g, they had to recover it. He got a chopper ride to show them where it was so they could send people in to get it. Mysteriously it was stolen before they got in to get out which was weird considering it was trashed and barely worth $2100 if it was in pristine shape.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are generally always liable for the cost. I had a buddy in Uni slip on the floor, hit his head and get a concussion (his 10th). The ambulance came, and took him to the hospital, which was only 2 blocks away. He got a bill a couple weeks later for almost 200$ to get taken 2 blocks. I guess our tax dollars are used to have these services available, but when we need them, they are pay as you go.

search and rescue and helicopters is free ambulances you get charged for so hope the chopper takes you straight to the hospital not a waitng ambulance

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats weird. When I called 911 and the ambulance came to my house they said if we take you to the hospital you will NOT be charged. I declined the free ride and paid over 200 for them to come out.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your friends problem wasn't a SAR effort, thats why he was billed.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insured the new XM today. I asked my rep about chopper rescue for a sled and she said when you have all perils which I do it is covered except for my $500 deductible. Apparently they have done 2 that she knows of and one was for a Pro's broken driveshaft. I didn't even know I had this on my policy so thanks LBZ for the heads up.

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Sounds like if your actually hurt/lost, then you're covered, but if you aren't, then there's some gray area on who pays... I have the Spot GEOS policy as well as full sled insurance coverage through the Co-Operators. I'll call them and clarify if sled recovery is included under the policy. My primary riding area is Golden, so can anyone recommend which SAR team I can donate to? I pay for an annual trail pass, but would like to put something more towards those SAR volunteers as well.

Fatdaddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^This is what I have been told as well. I have not had to use a chopper yet, touch wood but would definately check with your insurance before you need the next heli out. Those that don't have this service may want to ride a cat, just pack extra belts lol.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats weird. When I called 911 and the ambulance came to my house they said if we take you to the hospital you will NOT be charged. I declined the free ride and paid over 200 for them to come out.

Well when I got pick up with ambulance to hostpital cost 400 buck unless you have insurance coverage for it.........

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bet if ya call the heli for a lift and ur cards good its gettin longlined out.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I read during some of last years rescue efforts that SARs said they will not charge for rescues. They were concerned that people may not call for help if they think they will face a hefty bill. Ambulances charge every time. My father has dementia and a couple of years ago he was stopped by the police while trying to walk down the #1 highway. They called an ambulance and he received a bill in the mail. Ridiculous if they don't take into consideration the persons state of mind or financial situation. I pay the extra $7 a year on my Spot for the $100k insurance just in case.

highlandrider

Reaction score
As a manager of a helicopter company we always bill somebody when we fly. A SAR flight is usually dispatched by the RCMP and that is who we bill. Sled rescues are always billed to the person who calls it in, (credit card or cash before we fly) or if it is a write off the insurance company pays the bill. If it is the insurance company, make sure that they are the one that books the helicopter otherwise you may get the bill. Medical emergencies are paid for AHS (Alberta Health Services) in Alberta and in BC the PEP program or now know as Emergency Management BC. STARS (in Calgary, Edmonton, Grande Prairie) sell themselves as rescue helicopter, but they are an air ambulance and bill as such. If you are near the BC Alberta border and located in the BC and call STARS directly, they may bill you even if it is a medical emergency. Overall if you have a SAR or Medical situation in the backcountry, try to call the local 911 and let them take care of things. Before you go riding in an area with sat phone only coverage, make sure you know the local 10 digit numbers for emergency services as 911 on a sat phone goes to somewhere else besides the location you are in. Spot transmitter emergency calls are dispatched to the closest RCMP detachment but have no other info besides it is an emergency of some sort.

sledhunter

Reaction score
Well stated highlandrider, as a SAR Manager in McBride & Valemount I have been providing the same message for a couple of decades. The only clairification is, when SAR responds to a medical emergency via helicopter EMBC/PEP pays for the helicopter. If BC Ambulance Service dispatches the helicopter the patient pays the bill to the BC Ambulance Service. (it"s always good to have out-of-province medical coverage) SAR services are FREE whether we fly or sled to the incident. When the military helicopter is needed to assist on a SAR or Medical Emergency the tax payers of Canada have pre-paid for the flight.

I have no idea what the insurance coverage from SPOT pays for in Canada.

The best phone number to call for Search, Rescue or Medical Rescue in BC is 911 or the local RCMP Detachment.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
huh u would think if someone got to the quad to steel it ?? why couldnt yer buddy get to it ??? at least he got a chopper ride eh lol

A guy with a team of mules was in the chopper with them to see where it was and he was supposed to go in and get it and they figured he did and then said it was gone when he got there. Trust me where it went, you weren't just going to walk in and take it out. Buddy got a big screen a chopper ride and a good weekend pisser at an Oilers game out of the deal lol.

I checked with my insurance lady yesterday. All you need to get it recovered is collision but going with all perils is a little cheaper. For me it was about $720 a year for all perils, $500 deductible.

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
I checked with my sled insurance provider (Coseco Group thru Co-Operators)... if the sled is involved in an accident (my fault or otherwise), then they recover and pay for repairs much like a private auto coverage does. My fault, then it goes against my policy (only $295 for the sled) as such, but if caused by others or other act, then it doesn't go against my policy. If it breaks down and needs to be towed/flown out, that's my cost (and so it should be). With respect to SAR for medical or life threatening reasons only, then the sled insurance policy covers nothing. From the above, it sounds like a BC Ambulance helicopter ride might cost some money, but otherwise, no cost to the potential victim (which is a good thing as noted by mac900rmk wrote above... don't want people thinking financial cost outweighs the cost of life). I have the Spot policy and out of province medical coverage too. Next thing to do, is get the local emergency calling numbers for the areas I ride.

Great input guys. Thanks.

Top Bottom