Chopper Rescuing

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did any one catch that on the news that in BC at this time only army choppers will be doing search and rescue and midivac. Report says certification on existing choppers a issue.

aircanam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did any one catch that on the news that in BC at this time only army choppers will be doing search and rescue and midivac. Report says certification on existing choppers a issue.

Hopefully not, those birds have to come out of Comox on the Island and will burn most of their fuel just getting to the interior. Response times are going to be brutal if that's the case

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes I caught that the other eve, seems the long line set-up is not currently certified so not going to be used, I think the heli's will be available from what I got outta the news clip, then again the long line is pretty critical in the bush where theres no landing areas available. I couldnt imagine the army birds ever making it to the interior thats for sure, be spring before they showed if ever..........

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wait till you see the bill that shows up after a rescue if one of them comes :eek:, also does that mean that local compaines cant long line a sled then? no more flying out dead machines?

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I work in the bush and long line all the time. Drills, net loads, engines, wood, generators, camp supplies, etc. What is the difference between these and a sled. The heli companies in Golden and Revelstoke will be hurting without this revenue.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good thing I have insurance!
It covers recovery no matter where it is god forbid I ever need it.
$500 deductible isn't that bad considering what it is going to cost to pay for an army bird!!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the limitation is for "search and rescue and medivac" I would think that sled recovery is still allowable for local choppers.

Actually...think about it...there's no way they will go through with a stupid proposal like this....if local choppers aren't good enough for search and rescue or medivac, they're certainly not safe enough to haul people up mountains to ski....

Last edited:

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in the military and search and rescue from these guys is the best but hopefully their response time will be alright. When I did search and rescue as a spotter they had several choppers flying out of chilawak but even from their I don't no if thats close enough like a local chopper but these guys are the best and they will get u out no matter wear u are

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The long line ban was for personnel rescue purposes only but has since been rescinded. The company that built the lines was bought out by another. The new owners didn't get their certification as was required. They assumed because they bought out the other company, the certification came with the purchase. Not!

Last edited:

tranquillicer

Reaction score
Boy I sure hope no body invades Canada then....can't imagine what we would have to pay if we needed a flight of F-18 in here to take out some bad guys....these birds are there and we pay for them through tax dollars. They either practice via pretend or for real so i don't understand why we get a bill from the defence dept if we need the crews.. We don't pay for practice do we? The staff are paid regardless. Do we pay when troops go to T.O. after a 10cm snow storm? How bout picking people off roof tops when there is a flood? Sand bagging, fire fighting, riots, ice storms....give me a break here. We should be accountable for cost to private operations but not public...ie military

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boy I sure hope no body invades Canada then....can't imagine what we would have to pay if we needed a flight of F-18 in here to take out some bad guys....these birds are there and we pay for them through tax dollars. They either practice via pretend or for real so i don't understand why we get a bill from the defence dept if we need the crews.. We don't pay for practice do we? The staff are paid regardless. Do we pay when troops go to T.O. after a 10cm snow storm? How bout picking people off roof tops when there is a flood? Sand bagging, fire fighting, riots, ice storms....give me a break here. We should be accountable for cost to private operations but not public...ie military

ya did the canucks get a bill for that riot lol?

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may change a persons thought process on what and where they ride hope it doesn't go through. Good informative thread maybe I should watch the news once and a while

Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
So, to catch up on this thread (or possibly start a new one), search and rescue cost in BC/Canada is not billed to the person requesting SAR? If I use my Spot device to request help, am I liable for the associated costs for rescue?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I use my Spot device to request help, am I liable for the associated costs for rescue?

I would hope so, If you are in the back country sleding or skiing ext, get messed up and need a ride out wouldnt it make sense that you pay the bill?

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, to catch up on this thread (or possibly start a new one), search and rescue cost in BC/Canada is not billed to the person requesting SAR? If I use my Spot device to request help, am I liable for the associated costs for rescue?

There was a medical rescue in KAKWA, (BC side), about 3 or 4 years ago, where a coast gaurd helicopter from Comox was dispatched. Notification for 911 assist was thru SPOT.
All associated costs, which were north of 70K, were paid by the province of BC. No claims were made against the SPOT insurance option.
Pretty sure all SAR expenses in BC are covered by the province.

GT500john

Reaction score
There are stickers for your helmet that says get the heliout. They are available in sicamous and Revelstoke. They do fly your sleds out still.

Top Bottom