Check your Brake's!!!

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was checking my brakes on my 2011 Sportsman 850 touring when I was changing tires and I noticed that I had no pad left!! :(
This with only 929km on it and mostly trail riding and very little hill. I rarely use my brakes as the engine brakes on the sportsman are very good.
A friend I ride with that has the standard xp also found the same thing on his after I told him about it, he had around the same milage as me.

Attachments

• Brake.jpg
    Brake.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 184

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if you ride in in any dusty areas especially with rock dust, it tends to chew up pads in a hurry, no matter what you drive!

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got the quad at the beginning of March this year and haven't been riding since the end of June so I don't see dust as being the cause of my short brake life anyway. :confused:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can go through 3 sets a year. Mud,dust dirt. And stopping because a kawi broke down in front of me.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but you never work,just quad all year.

Baaahhhh. I work OT Tuesday and head out Wednesday morning till nexy Tuesday quading. Is that what you are talking about???

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone on a Can Am can expect worse than that if you ride mud. I had metal/metal on all 4 corners with 315 miles on my new Renny. On my 07 Outlander I took the front brakes down to metal in ONE long weekend. Replace with EBC severe duty or DP sintered metal pads and yer good for years.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you were lucky to get that many clicks out of 'em. Try EBC pads, they're a bit cheeper than the poo-poo ones. I don't think EBC makes the severe duty ones for the sportsman yet, but see if you can get your hands on the SD's.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone on a Can Am can expect worse than that if you ride mud. I had metal/metal on all 4 corners with 315 miles on my new Renny. On my 07 Outlander I took the front brakes down to metal in ONE long weekend. Replace with EBC severe duty or DP sintered metal pads and yer good for years.

Yeah, you were lucky to get that many clicks out of 'em. Try EBC pads, they're a bit cheeper than the poo-poo ones. I don't think EBC makes the severe duty ones for the sportsman yet, but see if you can get your hands on the SD's.

What they said....back in the day I used to go through atleast 4 sets of pads in a year. OEM brakes SUCK....lol...as your well aware!!!

Have the EBC ones on the old girl now (prob. 700+miles) and still have lots of meat left, and this year I haven't avoided the mud as much as last year! Funny thing was at the time RDPS didn't have OEM just the EBC!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Holy shat 900KM???? I'm lucky to get 500-600Km outta a set I use the EBC severe duty pads the stockers go even quicker cheapest place I found was @ rapid revolutions

tukernater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'M Guessing,because I only have a 500 XT Max I get awsome brake pad life 3300 miles origanal brakes?27'S And I'm always doubling my wife. I'm 260 and she's 125 and we ride mountain train 70% of the time?Maybe I better check again.:confused::beer:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I'M Guessing,because I only have a 500 XT Max I get awsome brake pad life 3300 miles origanal brakes?27'S And I'm always doubling my wife. I'm 260 and she's 125 and we ride mountain train 70% of the time?Maybe I better check again.:confused::beer:
Mud is what kills 'em....some of the Renegade guys who ride mostly dusty trails are getting several thousand miles out of the pads.

Top Bottom