Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Its actually 12% PST...when BC recinded the HST....our government....in its wisdom.....saw alot of money going out the door.....so they now clasify it as PST for us to pay on our toys.......clubs fought hard on this one but to no avail.....that to me is a cash grab.........here is a link for ALL the rules on PST for Off Highway Vehicles.....please read it as it does have good info especially for veicles bought before 2010.....

Wow! Just........ Wow! Sure glad I live in Alberta right now. Regarding THAT point, anyway. Lol

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Just got back from our fine eastern province with two plates and insurance for two sleds for a total of $200; $70 for insurance (for a year) X2 and $30 for registration (for 6 months) X2.

This was a long process and I started it in May when I went in to register our holiday trailer. Trailer's are a piece of cake to register. I found out that sleds are not so easy and there was a lot of running around because they are a motor vehicle. But I got it done.

If they are right and one has to pay 12% (I still don't think they can do that) on the purchase price of the sleds (as I am the original owner) that would be approximately $3840.00 on the two sleds pricing them out at $16,000 each. I can do a lot of question asking and driving to find out information for that price.

It is interesting that when we buy our vehicles (we buy them in Alberta) we pay GST to the dealer and come into this land of taxes and only have to pay the 7% PST. How come this type of motor vehicle is different and how long will it be before a court challenge?

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I wonder how it will go if I get stopped with a sled that is registered to someone else? Do I need some kind of documentation authorizing me to be using it?
You better have something to show you are legally in possession of another persons property, I would hope a cop or other officer isn't going to take anybodies word for it that they are allowed to have (mine or yours) property and let them continue on their merry way.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that when we buy our vehicles (we buy them in Alberta) we pay GST to the dealer and come into this land of taxes and only have to pay the 7% PST. How come this type of motor vehicle is different and how long will it be before a court challenge?

Same thing on sleds. If you can show that you payed GST to a dealer you only pay 7% PST. Otherwise you pay 12% PST on a private (non dealer) purchase. It's the most blatant tax grab in recent memory. :rant:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks that's what I understood. Do the staff in the insurance places know that?

Well now that's a whole different question , isn't it! :noidea:

I hear rumours that some of them actually think the $48 ICBC insurance for crossing the hiway allows you to ride on a plowed FSR. I can't wait for the argument when I go to register. Should be entertaining. Of course I'm pretty easy to entertain these days.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Apparantly when the BC Government brought in HST they repealed the old social services tax act, so now they have no way to collect the PST on anything purchased before then. ICBC agents are not collecting tax at time of registration on purchases before July 1, 2010. I'm sure the government would happily take your money if you choose to voluntarily submit it to them though. :D

I just reviewed the governments notice # 2013-011:

Provincial Sales Tax Act - Notice to Off-Road Vehicle Owners

For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (under
the Social Service Tax Act) applies. If you did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it
into BC, you must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405)
and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. You will not be required to pay the PST
at the time of registration.

So you are correct that ICBC is not collecting at registration time, but the notice states you are to file form FIN 405 and self assess. Now that they have you in the system after registration, I would imagine you will be receiving a notice for payment if you don't file form FIN 405, or they will add it on to your Auto registration and you will have to pay the next time you go to renew insurance and registration. Fawkers...thought it was to good to be true...looks like the ol M1000 is staying off the radar...I'll take my chances.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just reviewed the governments notice # 2013-011:

Provincial Sales Tax Act - Notice to Off-Road Vehicle Owners

For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (under
the Social Service Tax Act) applies. If you did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it
into BC, you must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405)
and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. You will not be required to pay the PST
at the time of registration.

So you are correct that ICBC is not collecting at registration time, but the notice states you are to file form FIN 405 and self assess. Now that they have you in the system after registration, I would imagine you will be receiving a notice for payment if you don't file form FIN 405, or they will add it on to your Auto registration and you will have to pay the next time you go to renew insurance and registration. Fawkers...thought it was to good to be true...looks like the ol M1000 is staying off the radar...I'll take my chances.

I thought that too, and it may still happen. When we put that question to Bill Bennett he said no.....and he would never lie to us. He's a politician after all! Anyway, I registered a quad I bought before 2010 last year and so far so good.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

All owners of vehicles that require registration in BC have to pay a total of 12% tax...new or used. If you buy new or used from a GST registered dealer you pay 5% GST and 7% PST. If you buy a used vehicle you pay 12% PST...Trailers, OHV, cars, trucks...everything requiring registration.

Cash grab...

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought that too, and it may still happen. When we put that question to Bill Bennett he said no.....and he would never lie to us. He's a politician after all! Anyway, I registered a quad I bought before 2010 last year and so far so good.

Hmmm...well that's good news so far. I'm sure you will keep us up to date if they come after you.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah no one wants to get there chit stolen, I have had lots stolen from me, the police have never helped out any.
Thugs take thousands of dollars from me every month in the form of taxes, now they want to try to muscle me at the Boulder parking lot??

Gimme a break.

just wait till truedum comes with his hand out lol.

Nonhighwayservice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you registered your sled the first time, it was under the snowmobile act ( which has since been scrapped and replaced with the ORV act) when I re-registered my sled I received a credit of $30 towards the new registration. If you have already got the plate you can exchange it for the decal for free until dec 31 2015.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you registered your sled the first time, it was under the snowmobile act ( which has since been scrapped and replaced with the ORV act) when I re-registered my sled I received a credit of $30 towards the new registration. If you have already got the plate you can exchange it for the decal for free until dec 31 2015.

People registered their sleds before this? No way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom