Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I know it is very early in the season but November 1, 2015 was the date the BC government implemented new legislation for off road vehicles (snowmobiles, quads, side x sides, etc.). Licensing is now required and supposed to be enforced. All of the money is to go to the coffers of ICBC and/or government and nothing at this point in time is going back to help us keep areas open, money for trails and/or infrastructure, or for grants to clubs. That is another kettle of fish for sledders and the BCSF to fight on another day.

Let's get a thread going on where and when the CO's, RCMP, and/or any other enforcement is taking place. Are there check stops on the highway or just in the staging areas? Where are these check stops and where have they been? Fines are heavy and for BC residents, provincial sales taxes are a distinct possibility. Put your information out there and let's see where this goes through the winter.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think a OHV has to be registered to be on a trailer or in the back of your truck?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would this be an appropriate place to post info on truck and deck regulations doug? seems like a lot of confusion out there. may help a lot of people out there.
hopefully this can be a serious thread, with good info being passed along:twocents:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a fine for having a non-registered sled on your truck would survive the first court challenge? Legislation says they must be registered to operate on crown land. Do you recall if there's anything in there specific to when they're being transported?

edit: Ha! Eveybody had the same thought while I was typing I see. :beer:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember way back when under the old system a couple of guys had their fines thrown out with that very arguement.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
interesting! you can tow a car on a trailer without a licence on it.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until it touches ground it's considered in transport and they can't do anything. Unless it's not secured properly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Until it touches ground it's considered in transport and they can't do anything. Unless it's not secured properly.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
They can check to see if its stolen

U and I have both been there lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can check to see if its stolen

U and I have both been there lol

They need to have probable cause to check if its stolen or not. Doesn't mean they won't try.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's ok we were going through enderby at midnight lol

Weekend of big iron, it was they checked us, cause that when lots where going missing

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex, you got them new plates or whatnot for yours? I regestered mine when I bought her and got them orange decals which you know, never get put on. Do I need to do all this chit again?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No not yet, probably this week

Jackies sled should be easy and cheap

Mine well, I did own and registered it in Alberta ect before we moved

Sounds like I need this notary signed sheet or something

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
would this be an appropriate place to post info on truck and deck regulations doug? seems like a lot of confusion out there. may help a lot of people out there.
hopefully this can be a serious thread, with good info being passed along:twocents:

I was thinking about the ORV registration but if a dude got stopped at a check stop (or wherever) and was ticketed for improperly securing the sleds, or missing lights, or not enough lights, or too much overhang, or over weight, it might be a place to share that information.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the ORV registration but if a dude got stopped at a check stop (or wherever) and was ticketed for improperly securing the sleds, or missing lights, or not enough lights, or too much overhang, or over weight, it might be a place to share that information.

don't want to step on any toes, better to ask, I think it all pertains to pretty much the same thing.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with alberta sleds most people who register them dont install there plate,wonder if that will be a problem? most people have there plate in there backpack or under hood of sled.as for being checked for sleds stolen when going through a stop check i would rather that then sleds being hauled and never checked for that may be a way to stop some of the theft,we all work to hard to purchase are toys to have them stolen. i have lights wired into sled deck lights that hang on bumper of sleds for the overhang of sleds which has never been a issue when going thru stop checks,my plate is bolted to the mudflap of the sled,it gets bent real fast but is atleast an attempt and hopefully is ok like that

yaya

Reaction score
so what if you have the sleds with insurance but no registration? Are you gonna get a fine? Even if we ride on crown land

Top Bottom