Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have always insured and registered my sleds. But I'd rather risk getting my crap stolen, then get harassed by Paul Blart mountain cop every time I go sledding, but that's just me.

banditpowdercoat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because a sled is a motor vehicle, you need a BC residence and a BC driver's license to register it in BC. I have some new found experience with registering sled and it will be over my dead body before I register it in BC.

Let me ask you this. Is that sled legal in Saskatchewan? If you can somehow register it in BC, yes you can have a sticker. It is your choice between a plate and a sticker.
Fernie, Does this mean you just regestered your sled elsewhere? I already did the yellow decal regestering when I bought mine, but no way in hades am I putting that decal omn my bandit wrap. A plate... Nope, a ugly 4"x7" decal, not that either.......

But I do keep the decal in truck with all proof of ownership. Plus, my wrap matches my truck with the biz decals etc. Pretty hard to think its stolen LOL

Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sure is. Glad I bought all my toys before July 1st 2010. No tax. Gonna suck when I have to replace them though.

So if you bought a toy new before July 2010 and have never paid PST, you do not have to pay when you register??? Sorry if this has been covered already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just got back from the hub

Got my new 2014 sled plated, which I didn't pay pst cause it was registered in Alberta first

Now my wife's sled, we bought used in 2011 and moved in Nov 2013 ... So I guess cause I never registered it in Alberta I have this notary form to do, with sons dirt bike we also brought with us in the move

Now was told I need liability coverage, and then I used moyiesledhead info for the sleds are exempt as long as ur on a non drivable fsr road , and she's is going to call to confirm as that's from forests and not icbc

Now she tied to say as soon as u unload it from ur truck to trail head that's plowed, but then I explained that every skidoo club parking lot is plowed to trail head

And I also pointed out that at Christmas the cops will have to be leanant to the insurance crap, as if the main lot is full they park us down the road and will have to ride the side of the road to get together parking lot

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if you bought a toy new before July 2010 and have never paid PST, you do not have to pay when you register??? Sorry if this has been covered already.

Yup. Apparantly when the BC Government brought in HST they repealed the old social services tax act, so now they have no way to collect the PST on anything purchased before then. ICBC agents are not collecting tax at time of registration on purchases before July 1, 2010. I'm sure the government would happily take your money if you choose to voluntarily submit it to them though. :D

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds have technically always had to be registered its nothing new guys (it hasn't been that well enforced), except now we have to redo again which is a PIA The sore spot for me is the quads and dirt bikes
as it is simply a tax grab and to satisfy the whiners who hate the dirt guys and there noisy toys, so now they can call in plate number. Expect the enforcement to dwindle again in few years unless you are attracting
attention to yourselves

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sleds have technically always had to be registered its nothing new guys (it hasn't been that well enforced), except now we have to redo again which is a PIA

I've heard from a reliable source that having to re-register a sled that was legally registered under the old system will not survive the first court challenge. :hmm:

Skegmeister

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah hassled by Paul Blart would po me too.
The other side of the coin is how I would feel finding out my toys had been stolen and finding out that a parking lot camera and the hotel clerk got a good look at the thugs. I would pay some serious cash to see them busted. Might work out to being the same amount as 5 years of insurance and registration.
In the end, like someone said earlier, if the thugs want it, they will take it. The law is too soft from deterring them from doing it, even if they are found guilty.
I have always insured and registered my sleds. But I'd rather risk getting my crap stolen, then get harassed by Paul Blart mountain cop every time I go sledding, but that's just me.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the end, like someone said earlier, if the thugs want it, they will take it. The law is too soft from deterring them from doing it, even if they are found guilty.

Yeah no one wants to get there chit stolen, I have had lots stolen from me, the police have never helped out any.
Thugs take thousands of dollars from me every month in the form of taxes, now they want to try to muscle me at the Boulder parking lot??

Gimme a break.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard from a reliable source that having to re-register a sled that was legally registered under the old system will not survive the first court challenge. :hmm:

I don't doubt it, but i don't have the time or a free lawyer to challenge it so ill pay the $20 each and take it up the kiester like a good ole canadian

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always been ILLEGAL for a sled to ride on a PLOWED FOREST SERVICE ROAD....a NON PLOWED ROAD is considered a snowmobile trail.......the ICBC ROAD CROSSING insurance is ONLY required to cross a public Hiway......so the grey area for that is is a plowed Main FSR a Hiway?? That insurance is cheap only 48 bucks and it gives you that lil decal you put on your reggy plate/decal....so if u ride in a tenured area from a tenured parking lot you only need registartion (although personal liability insurance is always good and is cheap) The enforcement end of the ORV ACT will be overseen by this new government group called Enforcement and Compliance and will consist of Conservation Officers, Forestry Wardens and BC Parks...off course the RCMP too as they enforce all laws...the CVSE will not be doing the enforcement....this is the info I have from the meetings that I have attended

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always been ILLEGAL for a sled to ride on a PLOWED FOREST SERVICE ROAD....a NON PLOWED ROAD is considered a snowmobile trail.......the ICBC ROAD CROSSING insurance is ONLY required to cross a public Hiway......so the grey area for that is is a plowed Main FSR a Hiway?? That insurance is cheap only 48 bucks and it gives you that lil decal you put on your reggy plate/decal....so if u ride in a tenured area from a tenured parking lot you only need registartion (although personal liability insurance is always good and is cheap) The enforcement end of the ORV ACT will be overseen by this new government group called Enforcement and Compliance and will consist of Conservation Officers, Forestry Wardens and BC Parks...off course the RCMP too as they enforce all laws...the CVSE will not be doing the enforcement....this is the info I have from the meetings that I have attended
So in sicamous at Christmas week it was so busy ect, they where parking people all the way down to h20 from owlshead, and had to ride side of road to owlshead

Hope these new want to be cops understand that if we could park in the lot to ride from there we would, and be leanant when it's super busy

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So in sicamous at Christmas week it was so busy ect, they where parking people all the way down to h20 from owlshead, and had to ride side of road to owlshead

Hope these new want to be cops understand that if we could park in the lot to ride from there we would, and be leanant when it's super busy

So because it's busy with the parking lot full and someone chooses to ride the side of the road under possible illegal circumstances the cops should be lenient?

And they shouldn't give me a speeding ticket when I do 130 to pass a bunch of trucks so I could get in front of them either?

Yeah that's not drawing negative attention to yourself.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So because it's busy with the parking lot full and someone chooses to ride the side of the road under possible illegal circumstances the cops should be lenient?

And they shouldn't give me a speeding ticket when I do 130 to pass a bunch of trucks so I could get in front of them either?

Yeah that's not drawing negative attention to yourself.

No but I'm saying that if best case a guy that only has what is needed to ride from lot, if it's full and they are parking u out of the lot, that they should be leanant

Doing a buck 130 to pass is different, cause by the law ur not to go over posted speed to pass even

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No but I'm saying that if best case a guy that only has what is needed to ride from lot, if it's full and they are parking u out of the lot, that they should be leanant

Doing a buck 130 to pass is different, cause by the law ur not to go over posted speed to pass even

Oh okay. Some laws are okay to break. Haha.

I am saying don't expect them to be lenient. Especially when enforcing a program (cash grab) that was recently reviewed.

Guess we will find out soon enough.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I wonder how it will go if I get stopped with a sled that is registered to someone else? Do I need some kind of documentation authorizing me to be using it?

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The legal way would be unload your sled at trailhead...then go park.......will all depend on the officers mood at the time I guess.......

briguy99

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I wonder how it will go if I get stopped with a sled that is registered to someone else? Do I need some kind of documentation authorizing me to be using it?

That is a question I have not gotten an answer on yet.......once again...depends on circumstance and the officers mood.....if it were in the middle of the night.....might be an issue as police seem to like checking for stolen sleds at this time

Top Bottom