Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

geo

Reaction score
I thought the 48 bucks was just new registration. No insurance of any kind in there is what I was told.

As for the people complaining about needing to pay PST to register a vehicle in BC that was purchased somewhere you only pay GST well,,,
there may be a few people in Vancouver that think this is an OK law. Maybe a couple of dealers too.

This trade issue between two attaching provinces with such a different vision on taxing of sales has to have been part of discussions and the new ORV law. Maybe not.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I thought the 48 bucks was just new registration. No insurance of any kind in there is what I was told.

As for the people complaining about needing to pay PST to register a vehicle in BC that was purchased somewhere you only pay GST well,,,
there may be a few people in Vancouver that think this is an OK law. Maybe a couple of dealers too.

This trade issue between two attaching provinces with such a different vision on taxing of sales has to have been part of discussions and the new ORV law. Maybe not.

The biggest complaint I have had is that for the sleds newer than 2010, the taxes will be paid on the purchase price. That is total BS. Sure I should have registered them and paid taxes on them when I bought them and brought them into this lovely province but if they weren't enforcing it should I just hand over a bunch of tax because I'm a good guy? I don't think so..........

And I won't even get into the GST portion that they want to collect now.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And I won't even get into the GST portion that they want to collect now.

And cleverly disguise it as "PST", and pocket it instead of sending it to the fed's!

Well, first try and a big fail this morning. Apparantly the two bills of sale I "amazingly" still have after 5 years are not good enough to register our sleds with. I need proof of ownership from the previous owners....like that's gonna happen.......or just fill out a piece of paper that says I can't get that, and have it notorized....like a notary can tell if I'm being truthful.....and take that to the access center and pay another 17 bucks for them to stamp it....then back to the ICBC agent for registration. Of course I can't do that on a stat holiday 'cuz the access center is closed.

Pretty simple huh! Didn't need to do any of this chit when I registered a quad in the spring. Bill of sale was fine. Guess they figured out it was too frickin' easy. :rant:

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On a side note. The number of registered sleds in Alberta will now increase thanks to all the BC only riders. This will give Alberta higher sled numbers and possibily give us Alberta riders a little more pressure to our new NDP government to look at us as a bigger industry. This mandatory registration for OHVs in BC will benefit Alberta.
Thanks BC

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
On a side note. The number of registered sleds in Alberta will now increase thanks to all the BC only riders. This will give Alberta higher sled numbers and possibily give us Alberta riders a little more pressure to our new NDP government to look at us as a bigger industry. This mandatory registration for OHVs in BC will benefit Alberta.
Thanks BC

Glen, I am sure there are a few more BC riders like me that will register in Alberta. Two sleds as of yesterday.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So you don't mind paying 12% tax on every used vehicle purchase and registration? I sure as F#$% do.

Used to be 7% prior to the HST being introduced and should have reverted back to 7% after HST was abolished. The fact that the government did this and there has been no major outcry, has me completely Effiin stumped. Pisses me off...

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no money in chasing thieves. It is much easier to hound the guys with toys as they usually have jobs and the mean$ to get out riding and pay their hokey fines. Cash cow. Just like its easier to catch the working man who had one too many at the pub, as he can pay the fines and court costs, blowbox etc. Waaay easier and profitable than dealing with sketchy crackhead theives who will resist arrest or try to run you over or stab you and have no money for a lawyer costing taxpayers to supply legal aide... for example...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's correct. But there's a liability policy ICBC is trying to push that covers you for road crossings only, and it just happens to be $48 as well.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And parking lot transfers They really don't know want is covered or not yet girl at the capri office told me if we don't renew the liability portion next year that we have to get a new plate once this one expires really?
I thought the plate was a one time regi

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And parking lot transfers They really don't know want is covered or not yet girl at the capri office told me if we don't renew the liability portion next year that we have to get a new plate once this one expires really?

It is, and she's wrong. The $48 policy for road crossings is only a decal that goes on the plate, just like your car.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what is needed to register and insure a sled in Alberta? Is a bill of sale sufficient? Someone told me that a NVIS is needed if it has never been registered before? If so, is a copy good enough or does it have to be original?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And yes the plate is a 1 time fee

But the 48 is yearly for road pass

And yes its such a cluster fawk, no one really knows ya or nay

Wish they would have waited and educated the icbc outlets proper, cause this cluster just pisses more people off to not want to do it

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So what is needed to register and insure a sled in Alberta? Is a bill of sale sufficient? Someone told me that a NVIS is needed if it has never been registered before? If so, is a copy good enough or does it have to be original?

I should have asked the question when I was there because we talked about it. She was happy to see that it was stapled to the bill of sale. Maybe one of our fine eastern neighbours will chime in and let us know.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like I might actually have to bolt the plate on the sled. I do think this is a good thing forces people to insure and register there sleds and with all the stolen sled issues over the years it can only help. I can say after riding in the hills the last dozen years I have never been checked for insurance and registration on sleds but always had it. I have been through checkstops a couple times in Valemount targeting sledders usually some kind of a lesson for us flatlanders not use to having regulations enforced but it was always decks trailers or trucks never at the trailheads, so I would not be surprised if this is heavily enforced this year imagine the cash that could be generated at $200 a pop for no registration in the boulder parking lot during christmas new years. It would be nice if they did an educational transition period.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Looks like I might actually have to bolt the plate on the sled. I do think this is a good thing forces people to insure and register there sleds and with all the stolen sled issues over the years it can only help. I can say after riding in the hills the last dozen years I have never been checked for insurance and registration on sleds but always had it. I have been through checkstops a couple times in Valemount targeting sledders usually some kind of a lesson for us flatlanders not use to having regulations enforced but it was always decks trailers or trucks never at the trailheads, so I would not be surprised if this is heavily enforced this year imagine the cash that could be generated at $200 a pop for no registration in the boulder parking lot during christmas new years. It would be nice if they did an educational transition period.

The last X number of years where they haven't been enforcing anything has been the "educational transition period". You're still SUPPOSED to have had registration and insurance.

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just moved to BC from Alberta and spent 2 hours on the phone today with Capri, Okanagan valley insurance and icbc and non of them know sh%t. I bought a new sled last yr while being a resident of Alberta and they are saying I need to pay PST on the sled when I transfer it to BC. I did not need to to do this with my SUV or truck when I transferred them but the sled is different they say. Why? So of course I'm not paying it and gonna keep sled registered in Alberta. It will be insured and registered, just not in BC.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just moved to BC from Alberta and spent 2 hours on the phone today with Capri, Okanagan valley insurance and icbc and non of them know sh%t. I bought a new sled last yr while being a resident of Alberta and they are saying I need to pay PST on the sled when I transfer it to BC. I did not need to to do this with my SUV or truck when I transferred them but the sled is different they say. Why? So of course I'm not paying it and gonna keep sled registered in Alberta. It will be insured and registered, just not in BC.
Did u have it registered in Alberta ??

If so just bring pink slip, that's all I did

Settlers act or what ever it's called, same as vehicles

Top Bottom