Check stops and the new BC ORV regulations.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't get a ticket. Just told me to tell my group that the next time we were out that plates needed to be mounted on left side of the sled. All he said about Alberta is he was surprised they didn't have a sticker plate yet cause he was a sledder as well and wouldn't want plate tearing his boots or pants. I'm insured and registered but still not willing to mount it on tunnel.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I mounted the plate on the glove box lid behind the windshield. Looks decent with the red white plate on my lava red freeride. On My all black xm I put it on the snow flap. It Looked horrible on the glovebox.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mudflap for me.......just makes sense and simple install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northof40

Reaction score
I threw mine on my snowflap, never got checked yet though, but looks like us Sask folk might be able to get away with out it mounted going by this... directly from the sask snowmobile act.

2wnzgwi.jpg

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At least they have some sort of practical way to acknowledge that there is no suitable location on a snowmobile to mount a plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does Alberta make the sticker plates yet? Just can't bring myself to drill holes in the tunnel....

And where are the acceptable mounting spots for Alberta?
I hope under the seat is one.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I can drill holes if can't.

atver

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Cochrane RCMP and there answer was as long as it's on the sled with you is good. There is no specific place for it on an OHV in Alberta. He agreed with me as to not wanting to drill holes in my tunnel to mount it. He also said if an officer was to ticket you for not having it in a certain spot if you were to challenge it in court you would win. That being said , he's words were, "is it worth your time and money to be bothered with this". And that's exactly what these ticket writers pray on.

Last edited:

Ruralcowboy

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Cochrane RCMP and there answer was as long as it's on the sled with you is good. There is no specific place for it on an OHV in Alberta. He agreed with me as to not wanting to drill holes in my tunnel to mount it. He also said if an officer was to ticket you for not having it in a certain spot if you were to challenge it in court you would win. That being said , he's words were, "is it worth your time and money to be bothered with this". And that's exactly what these ticket writers pray on.

Plates in Alberta and no need to drill into the tunnel.

Check out the link.

The link states: Registration Rules

• A licence plate must be securely attached in a visible location on the front or rear of the snowmobile.

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know we all hate paying taxes on our stuff but it's just a fact of life, and I don't think we here in AB will be too far behind in having to pay a PST. For Ins and Reg in AB I'm paying about $500/yr on a 2015 Summit. That Ins covers all perils not just the basic and allows me to ride anywhere. As far as why or where to mount a plate, why....because its the law, no different than your truck. Where...that's easy, 3m double sided tape, 2 layers thick and stick it on the side of the tunnel near the rear of the foot boards. I've never caught my pants or boots on it and when it's time to sell, take a heat gun or hair dryer, warmup the backside of the tunnel and pop it off.

I've only been document checked twice in 30 yrs. Once on the trail behind the ski hill at Blairmore, and once while transporting at the Tete Jaune scale after riding in Valemount.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know we all hate paying taxes on our stuff but it's just a fact of life, and I don't think we here in AB will be too far behind in having to pay a PST. For Ins and Reg in AB I'm paying about $500/yr on a 2015 Summit. That Ins covers all perils not just the basic and allows me to ride anywhere. As far as why or where to mount a plate, why....because its the law, no different than your truck. Where...that's easy, 3m double sided tape, 2 layers thick and stick it on the side of the tunnel near the rear of the foot boards. I've never caught my pants or boots on it and when it's time to sell, take a heat gun or hair dryer, warmup the backside of the tunnel and pop it off.

I've only been document checked twice in 30 yrs. Once on the trail behind the ski hill at Blairmore, and once while transporting at the Tete Jaune scale after riding in Valemount.
Double sided tape! Now that sounds like a good idea! Might just do that! Thanks

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you spend the dough and buy the good chit...I've found 3M is the best!! I put it between the bolt holes top and bottom of the plate and a strip up each side, and you'll need to double the thickness to make up for the beveled edge on the plate.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've mounted mine with two small carriage bolts in the grooves on top of the tunnel. Works with Polaris

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mounted to the rear of the sled as per AB reg's. I just used frame clamps, some call them p-clamps, etc. Take it off once up the trail or leave it on. The Officer I spoke to @ the SK sled show, couldn't care less about the mounting of the plate. He would like to see driver's lic, reg, insurance when asked for. He understood its a snowmobile, plate will be covered in snow, gets ripped off, etc.
741_zpsimeasotk.jpg

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Double sided tape! Now that sounds like a good idea! Might just do that! Thanks

I would be afraid of snow and ice getting underneath and/or behind and one miss placed boot could dislodge the plate.

I don't know what the problem is of putting a couple rivet holes in the tunnel for the license plate. Like I said above, when I took the decal of my T3 last year for my wrap, low and behold, there were two holes (one on each side of the tunnel) 3/8" diameter that came from the factory. As you can see, the yellow paint is on the inside edge of the hole. Do you guys really think that an 1/8" or 3/16" hole is going to weaken the tunnel?????

IMG_3384.jpg IMG_3362.jpg

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be afraid of snow and ice getting underneath and/or behind and one miss placed boot could dislodge the plate.

I don't know what the problem is of putting a couple rivet holes in the tunnel for the license plate. Like I said above, when I took the decal of my T3 last year for my wrap, low and behold, there were two holes (one on each side of the tunnel) 3/8" diameter that came from the factory. As you can see, the yellow paint is on the inside edge of the hole. Do you guys really think that an 1/8" or 3/16" hole is going to weaken the tunnel?????

View attachment 191749 View attachment 191750
Good point. Where are you mounting yours Doug?

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 191749 View attachment 191750

it is more the physical size of the plate, it is big enough that it has to be mounted down further on the tunnel where your boots are all the time, that is more the issue with mounting it along the tunnel

Top Bottom