chaincase oil on an xp

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so explain why most gearboxes *(chain and gears) in trucks run atf? thermal degradation? so everyone should switch there vehicles over to gear oil despite manufacturers reccomendations if it dips below freezing? hmm

Straight from the BRP service manual says 250 mL or 8.5 ounces... Your free to put more as it probably won't hurt...

We aren't talking about the transfer case in trucks, yeah sure, mine runs ATF as well....as per the manufacturers recommendations...I didn't say anyone should run anything different in their trucks...pour example as you are saying we should run what the manufacturers reccomend? Yet you run ATF in a chaincase that reccomends BRP Synthetic Chaincase oil - which happens to be a GL-5 equivelent fluid. Logic?

I am simply suggesting people should consider put an equivelent fluid in as per the manufacturers current product that is used. But its your sled, you can do what you wish. Hey maybe if we all had belt drives we wouldn't have to worry about chains and fluids!

Thanks for the post on the BRP manual, I went with that the dealer said to fill to. Yeah of course, what do they know right? But its the info I had available.

At the end of the day you are going to feel you are correct, its a forum for discussion and I feel I am more correct. :beer:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im not trying to say to go against brp reccomendations. just saying its safe to use a fluid that has been proven on similar drive systems with the same principles and conditions.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to all your guys taking out you new xp's for the first time or so, double check your chain case oil, some sleds come with little to no chain case oil in them.
Anybody who saw me at the cabin a quartz the last few weekend working on my chain case, check your level, I just ruined a set of sprockets and a chain.
Fill that son of a bitch till she comes out the over fill plug, 250 ml's my ass, it takes more than that to spill out of the hole...

Top Bottom