Polaris oil consumption

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to see how much oil a polaris pro typically uses? Roughly how much do you put in it per ride?

buddy has a 2015 pro w/ mnt tek turbo on it. Recently piled it up, had it rebuilt, found out there were no oil lines attached to the fittings that feed oil to the connecting rods likely from a piss poor install. So now the oil pump is adjusted to max stroke, the mountain tek has the oil line update done and He is monitoring oil/fuel ratio. Currently averaging about 64:1. Only used about 250ml of oil and 16L of gas the last couple rides he had it on. Im wondering what other Polaris guys usually use for oil in a typical trip? It wasn’t great snow so this was not a pinned all day sort of ride, which obviously affects it too, but just want an idea if were in the ball park or not.

Drty Ernie

Reaction score
One thing to watch for is the oil reservoir cap venting properly. If you google Polaris oil reservoir cap venting you will find more than enough information on this. There is speculation that the cap vent gets oil/moisture in it and plugs or freezes and does not function. There was actually an article in the last Snotech magazine on Arctic Cats vent caps. If it does plug it will place the reservoir under vacuum and oil won't flow properly thus reducing that amount of oil the sled consumes.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 15's and earlier were prone to low oiling at cruising speeds. This level operation also does not let the oil tank cap vent as it vents only when "straight up and down" and Polaris designed the filler on an angle. Those motors often took out rod bearings early. They should be using 40:1. I always added an extra 100-200 ml to each tank but still that oil does not get much to the lower end as I believe it injects in the transfer port. The 16+ sleds have the electric pump which seems calibrated better.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same sled with the same turbo kit. Mine was the original design that relocated the rod oiling lines. First season was fine. Second season l took the crank out twice.

The real problem as to why you can't get the ratio up is that the throttle bodies are being pushed downward toward the oil pump and there's not enough link rod adjustment to counteract that. I modified the link rod with an Z bend to shorten it and get a reasonable ratio back.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sounds like we need to get it closer to 40:1, address the oil cap vent issue, which will hopefully get this old girl nicely oiled.

@JMCX what seems to push the throttle bodies down? He figures they basically look like they should be, even on a stock unit.So now that you have the rod bent for more oil flow, its been good? How much oil do you usually use (roughly) like putting in half a Jug/ day. Or only about 1/4 jug? 250ml sure seems like very little oil.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So sounds like we need to get it closer to 40:1, address the oil cap vent issue, which will hopefully get this old girl nicely oiled.

@JMCX what seems to push the throttle bodies down? He figures they basically look like they should be, even on a stock unit.So now that you have the rod bent for more oil flow, its been good? How much oil do you usually use (roughly) like putting in half a Jug/ day. Or only about 1/4 jug? 250ml sure seems like very little oil.

I always like to see 40:1. That sled is long gone. It kind of cured me of the turbo itch lol. The air box, plenum and heavy springs added around the throttle bodies distort the rubber manifold.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to see how much oil a polaris pro typically uses? Roughly how much do you put in it per ride?

buddy has a 2015 pro w/ mnt tek turbo on it. Recently piled it up, had it rebuilt, found out there were no oil lines attached to the fittings that feed oil to the connecting rods likely from a piss poor install. So now the oil pump is adjusted to max stroke, the mountain tek has the oil line update done and He is monitoring oil/fuel ratio. Currently averaging about 64:1. Only used about 250ml of oil and 16L of gas the last couple rides he had it on. Im wondering what other Polaris guys usually use for oil in a typical trip? It wasn’t great snow so this was not a pinned all day sort of ride, which obviously affects it too, but just want an idea if were in the ball park or not.

When The MTNTK kit first came out the oil lines were roughted into the turbo thats why there was nothing on the 2 fittings, before the oil line update the oil was fed to the turbo and would come out the bottom and enter the intake system and then blown back into the motor. Now changed to the way you have it now. The oil pump should be turned up until you cant see anymore threads on the lock nut.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said 64:1 is too lean. I took out a lower rod bearing on my turbo this way, my dad did as well on a stock machine.

My adjustment is maxed out, and I tweaked the arm on the pump to get a bit more, overall I'm about 33:1 between the oil pump and adding oil to the fuel. Oil is cheap in comparison to any part in the engine.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well holy Hell, today got the Old girl out after some oil pump rod “adjustments”. He has shortened the rod so the pump arm is stroked as far as it physically can go. This is TOO MUCH. lol. Got back to the truck and oil level is just above the add line, and started full or nearly full. 1900ML to 20L of gas! Lol. He burnt more money worth of Oil today than Gas! Surprisingly it didn’t foul a plug and actually ran pretty good, although a little burbly till the Ter-Bow lit up. So needless to say he will be backing that off.....just a smidge! Lol.

Top Bottom