Ceramic coating pipes

bigneily

Reaction score
Anyone have there pipe or pipes coated before? I currently have my pipe wrapped in header tape to keep it from melting any plastics but I wonder how well the coating works for heat issues .

bigneily

Reaction score
Where did you get it done ? And is it spendy for a single pipe ? Thanx

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It should be done brand new, not after heat being cycled. You will chase cracks forever, don't know why just we learned over the years.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second for top gun in Calgary, they are awesome, good work and good price,, and yes I wouldn’t do a used pipe

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done used pipes and didn't have an issue, but I only coat the outside. There's just too much oil etc on the inside to ever get them clean enough to coat inside unless you do a brand new pipe. Clean them really well with a sodablaster, get a good shop to do it and it should be fine. Talk to the shop if you are not sure. Whatever you do, get that header wrap off the pipe - it will hold moisture against the pipe and rust it out prematurely.

bigneily

Reaction score
Without header wrap or ceramic coating , what are others doing for controlling the underhood heat ?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got top gun in Calgary to ceramic coat my 15 summit. Then I powdered the heat shield in high temp black. Still looked like new after a year of riding. Not sure what it did for heat tho. I’m sure it helped. Think it was 150 or something. I did it mostly cause I hate a rusty pipe and oxidized aluminum.

84125C4B-591C-47DB-8365-11944D8EB8A1.jpeg
619B8481-A137-4246-9991-D41C6BCE7215.jpeg

bigneily

Reaction score
My stock pipe was grenaded in a collision with a tree , therefore the need for a new pipe . The stock heatshield is no more . That's why I've been using the header wrap

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got top gun in Calgary to ceramic coat my 15 summit. Then I powdered the heat shield in high temp black. Still looked like new after a year of riding. Not sure what it did for heat tho. I’m sure it helped. Think it was 150 or something. I did it mostly cause I hate a rusty pipe and oxidized aluminum.

View attachment 248776View attachment 248777

That’s sharp looking right there

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rigged up plugs & a air fitting to pressurize & heat the pipe. You don't need much air pressure to do this, repairs tree damage.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting story on ceramic coated pipes using factory heat shield. Used to have the pipes coated on all my 2 smoke sleds. On 4 stroke now but recommend ceramic coating for sure. One of my 2 smokes I coated the pipe and reused the stock heat shield. Started chasing a lean spot in the mid range. Turned out that removing the stock heat shield got rid of the lean spot. Just something to think about.

I like ceramic coating so much that I used to have pistons coated as well. Domes with a heat resistant coating and skirts with a slick coating. Worked really well.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Man, how does your ch!t turn out so nice all the time?! lol

Top Bottom