Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

knocksum

Reaction score
So we are all meeting at A&W/PetroCan at 8 second exit after okotoks? For guys that can't make that meet in Etherington parking lot for 9:00 - 9:30.

Reaction score
The exposed rock is never covered up. The wind on Saturday will surely strip it rock again. Natural hazards of that area. I've been over 20 or 30 times and have only seen it covered up once. Keep an eye on the pass when your over there, as weather comes in quick if you don't know your way over with your eyes closed.

fshog

Reaction score
I am meeting Quad_Hopper at the Cataract lot on Sat @ 10:00 am if anyone wants to join us on the trails. PM me if interested.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There were four of us out on the trails this past Tuesday, and I thought I would give a bit of a Trail Report.

Leaving Cataract Creek parking lot, Cataract Creek Trail to the Raspberry/Cummings Creek Trial intersection is very rough, many "whoop-tee-doo's"
(The very reason our club is trying to find a way to place a trail grooming machine/drag, of any size, to the area)

South on Cummings Creek Trail to Skyline Trail I found either rough or okay in places.

Skyline Trail to Pasque Trail was mostly okay and better, with a few technical places where the snow has blown over the trail/ridge and caused a hardened, slanted bit on the path.

Pasque Trail to Oyster Trail has great snow, powder to stiff, but be aware; you are on a constant down slope - mostly - and it is angled downhill to the north. Keep you speed up to maintain traction, do not go too slow or you will slide sideways off the trail.

Oyster Trail north onto Fallers Trail back to Cataract Creek Trail has great powder.

Cataract Creek Trail west to Etherington Creek Trail has great snow, but near the most westerly point, on the "Loop" part of the trail, there is a very hard, large "blow-over" of snow on the trail. It is technical to get by, and we had our newbie sledder tip his sled over and down off the trail, we were there to stop his sled going down the hill off the trail but we could not catch him too. I suspect if you would like the easier way, stay to the left (the main trail) along the creek.

Etherington Creek Trail north to the first "X" on the map is awesome snow, hardly a bump, but there are a couple of "blow-overs" on the trail near the ridge top that one has to respect.

At this "X", my opinion is, a rider on a mountain sled that knows how to ride, can get through without much trouble. If you have an inexperienced technical sledder, be prepared to either do some digging/lifting of their sled, or you ride it through the snow-covered streambed yourself.

Etherington Trail onto Baril Loop Trail to the Baril Creek Trail/Fording Pass route intersection is great, lots of good, smooth trail.

On the Baril Loop Trail from this point "back east" - from the Baril Creek Trail - to the intersection of the Etherington and Raspberry Trails, the trail is very, very rough - worst I have rode in the "system". Again, a classic example of why our group is working toward having a groomer/drag for the trails.

Raspberry Trail at the north end is rough, and in need of survey tape to indicate the proper trail re-route (enough snow that I got "turned around" and had to search hard for the route - I am not ashamed to say, a lot of snow). The south half of the trail is quite a bit better, much more snow and open areas. Ended up back on Cataract Creek Trail and rode to the parking lot, again on the very rough trail.

Enjoy it out there this weekend, and the snow on the furthest west trails is the best- lots and lots.

Attachments

• 2013 12 29 CCSA Trail Conditions and Damage.jpg
    2013 12 29 CCSA Trail Conditions and Damage.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are we not going to the cataract parking lot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closer to travel from the road in front of the closed blue gate (where we received permission to open the fence through the ditch) at the Etherington P.R.A. up to Fording Pass. There is not much room here, and if you are towing a trailer, I suggest you back in, to make leaving easier. Otherwise, just pull in a very short distance from the Forestry Trunk Road (940) to make your leaving easier.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Kaz Dog,
Thanks for the update. Very useful.
I was planning to take a neighbor out there on Saturday AM to ride the trails and do some exploring from Cataract PRA. My question is, he has an older sled that is in good running order but his track is crap. Will he be OK or am we in for a day of stuck after stuck?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kaz Dog,
Thanks for the update. Very useful.
I was planning to take a neighbor out there on Saturday AM to ride the trails and do some exploring from Cataract PRA. My question is, he has an older sled that is in good running order but his track is crap. Will he be OK or am we in for a day of stuck after stuck?

If your neighbor is a good rider and knows his balance to stay on the trail, it is fairly easy, as it is firm/hard packed. The newbie with us did not balance/technically ride well, so on all of the "sloped" parts of the trail, he slid off on to bottomless powder, with a short-track sled, and became stuck. The trails have a good base, so if he sticks there/to tracks, he should do okay.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
Thanks Kaz.
That's the good part, he can ride.
Maybe see some of you guys out there Saturday.

Puckaneer19

Reaction score
If all goes well, we hope to be unloading at Cataract ~ 10:00 - 10:30!
How is the 940 road in? (Pulling a trailer.)

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all goes well, we hope to be unloading at Cataract ~ 10:00 - 10:30!
How is the 940 road in? (Pulling a trailer.)

No problem, clear on Tuesday, and they are good keeping it graded as needed.

Mattjames

Reaction score
How were the conditions in cataract\over the pass today?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom