Cataract/Etherington 2013/14 Thread

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second bridge west of Cataract Creek parking lot, not too healthy - or helpful for crossing the creek
PB280370.jpg

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A look across the creek at the washed away trail at the north end of Raspberry Pass Trail
PB290377.jpg
A wider angle picture below
PB290376.jpg

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Little more than a chainsaw can handle. I`m thinking a cat and more. Holy Cow that's big stuff down

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Already on the ESRD's radar. I do not know at what priority level this area will receive, given all of the areas they administrate, but I am hopeful to see some work with heavy equipment next summer/fall time frame. Trail Committee members are discussing options as well, and relaying these ideas to ESRD personnel.
Little more than a chainsaw can handle. I`m thinking a cat and more. Holy Cow that's big stuff down

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couple more pics.... sled pic, pic of one of the old creek crossings that is no longer passable, a pic of a new creek crossing, pic of a washout along the trail, and a pic of what's left of the etherington parking lot.

Attachments

• IMG_4271r.jpg
    IMG_4271r.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4279r.jpg
    IMG_4279r.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_4282r.jpg
    IMG_4282r.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_4292r.jpg
    IMG_4292r.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_4295r.jpg
    IMG_4295r.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 208

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That must of been unreal to watch come down and wash out Sledders have the ability to find ways around all these problem areas. Give them a couple of days.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We built a ramp down onto the river because of a steep bank. Things can all be fixed just take some dedicated people and money and time. You guys are all dedicated, CSC has trail funds and winter is just starting as well as this project

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OMG, Summit X, the Etherington Parking lot looks like Armageddon hit it!!! I have not been there yet, but now I am motivated more to get to it and search for a route from Etherington Trial to the Valley Bottom Trail. I am thinking it might have to go along the Forestry Trunk Road from the new Etherington drop-off area south and then back west, south of the campground.

Nice sled pic - could be a poster! It appears that a new bridge is required when approval can be obtained for it's construction on the creek crossing. And the "new crossing" looks to be a old crossing as the snowmobile sign is there. Picture of that washout along the trail in the forest with the sled track beside it is pretty good too!

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glen, this is exactly what we are planning to build next week to access the trails leaving the Cataract Creek P.R.A.'s parking lot. I saw your post about what you folks built up north, and we are doing something similar.
We built a ramp down onto the river because of a steep bank. Things can all be fixed just take some dedicated people and money and time. You guys are all dedicated, CSC has trail funds and winter is just starting as well as this project

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just another note to say - NO Safety and Trail Maintenance Day this Saturday, Dec. 7. The day has been RESCHEDULED to Saturday, Dec. 14.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
No bridge is required at that spot. Its an old creek crossing. Just a picture showing how deep its cut. Where the the "new crossing" is buy the snowmobile sign, that never used to be a creek there.....

OMG, Summit X, the Etherington Parking lot looks like Armageddon hit it!!! I have not been there yet, but now I am motivated more to get to it and search for a route from Etherington Trial to the Valley Bottom Trail. I am thinking it might have to go along the Forestry Trunk Road from the new Etherington drop-off area south and then back west, south of the campground.

Nice sled pic - could be a poster! It appears that a new bridge is required when approval can be obtained for it's construction on the creek crossing. And the "new crossing" looks to be a old crossing as the snowmobile sign is there. Picture of that washout along the trail in the forest with the sled track beside it is pretty good too!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Weather is looking better for the 14th. Even snow in the forecast. Have you guys checked all the trails now? Seems there are 2 groups checking the trails. No problem your sharing info. One maybe official one not so much. Just asking and curious.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're correct on the weather forecast for the 14th. Not all trails have been check as of yet. The 6 trails to the SW, W, and NW have not been verified; it is a large area, and only able to be checked as conditions, time, and manpower allow. There are priority trails to be checked by the Trails Committee, and then their are enthusiastic snowmobilers for a certain route within the system. They are being very helpful relaying information, and now posting pictures, where committee members have not been able to get to yet. Work and planning is getting done by all, the more hands the merrier!
Weather is looking better for the 14th. Even snow in the forecast. Have you guys checked all the trails now? Seems there are 2 groups checking the trails. No problem your sharing info. One maybe official one not so much. Just asking and curious.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Given the fact it is showing -33 in Longview this AM, and the hourly forecast on The Weather Network is not showing anything good until Monday, I am postponing my trip out to the C.C.S.A. trails until Monday, December 9, for further trail checking. Anyone brave enough to go out this weekend; have fun, bundle up, and be safe!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure...our group decided not to go out today and it ended up being a beautiful -15 day.Crap,missed that one.The 14th is still up in the air for us,previous plans are set for the late afternoon.Might be stuck now till the 21.Please keep us posted.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, the afternoon really warmed up, I was not expecting that as the forecast indicated around -20 or colder near there. Oh well, a good day in town was had, and personal chores were attending to.

Bunn, good to have you and your group out whenever you can make it! Currently, two of us are there on Monday, to document trails for damage and map production purposes. On Wednesday, two to three of us will be there to build the ramp leaving the Cataract Creek P.R.A. parking lot to access the Cataract Creek Trail in the valley. Finally, on Saturday, those that are able to make it will continue clearing and opening up trails. A BBQ/Social will be held after with the CSC providing burgers and non-alcoholic beverages for all who are able to help. Again - TO ALL - if you are planning to come out and help, PM me so I can have a body count and enough food/liquids.
Sure...our group decided not to go out today and it ended up being a beautiful -15 day.Crap,missed that one.The 14th is still up in the air for us,previous plans are set for the late afternoon.Might be stuck now till the 21.Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I just want to say a little something and hope I don't tick people off or get too many feathers ruffled.I want to say thank you to you Scott(Kaz Dog) and the newly appointed trail maintenance group for giving a crap about the Catarac/Etherington Creek area.I have to say I am impressed that CSC has taken notice of this area again and is beginning to make improvements(although this year is an extreme challenge) after what I personally thought was several years of ignoring the area.I have been one of the CSC bashers on other post here about this area and am definetely seeing some changes the last couple of years.I am not a CSC member as of yet but have been to several meetings a few years ago and didn't feel confident in the club or it's abilities.I am starting to reconsider my thoughts and again thinking of becoming a member. Thanks again for making some changes.

Top Bottom