Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail Inspection Report for Thursday, November 28, and Friday, November 29

Attendees:
Two members of the Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee - both days
One Conservation Officer - Thursday AM
One member of Alberta Parks - Thursday AM
One individual from Alberta ESRD - both days

Etherington Provincial Recreation Area (P.R.A.) - the parking lot (usual drop off area)
- the gates will remain closed for this winter
- damages from flood were un-repairable this summer/fall
- NO SNOWMOBILING ON THE LAND BETWEEN THE FORESTRY TRUCK ROAD (F.T.R./940) AND THE LOCKED GATES except
- snowmobiles will be allowed in the ditch beside the road leading to the locked gate
- a snow fence will be erected indicating where snowmobiles will be allowed
- the fence boards on the first section to the left of the gate will be removed (Sunday, Dec. 2) to allow snowmobile passage through the ditch and onto the road to the parking lot
- stay to the road as much as possible
- no free riding around the campground area - STAY ON THE TRAILS AT ALL TIMES
- communication will be undertaken with AB Transport/grader operator to see about keeping the road cleared between the F.T.R. and the locked gate
- parking allowed on the road to the gate (police yourselves as there is not much room)
-communications will include discussion on plowing the road to the edges to allow for parking on one side, to unload snowmobiles and remained parked

Cataract Creek P.R.A. Campground and day-use area/parking lot
- absolutely no snowmobiles allowed in or through the campground or connecting road - no designated trails: no snowmobiles
- there is no opportunity to allow parking on the "campground access road" - no turnaround possible.
- THERE IS NO CURRENT ABILITY TO HAVE A SNOWMOBILE GET FROM THE PARKING LOT TO THE TRAIL SYSTEM WEST ON THE CATARACT CREEK TRAIL
- a plan has been discussed to allow the installation of a temporary snowmobile ramp, which will be taken out at the end of the season
- availability to join into the trail system is being investigated currently to allow for the installation of this ramp

The Sawmill Road Gate (S.G.R.)unloading area
- currently, the only other location to unload snowmobiles, only access to Cataract Creek Trail, with very limited parking
- the ability to access the Valley Bottom Trail exists here

The TRAILS
- the Valley Bottom Trail has a 25 foot washout to the south of the S.G.R. that impedes accessing the Cataract Creek Trail
- discussions were had with relation to temporarily relocate this trail until a bridge can be constructed to resume on the historical path (1st priority Dec. 1)
- the Valley Bottom Trail has major damage with a 35 foot washout at the north end, just before the Etherington Campground Trail
- this will require substantial reconstruction with heavy equipment and possibly a bridge
- Cataract Creek Trail: All Bridges accessing the "south" trails from the Cataract creek valley are washed out
- there is one bridge left at the very west end of the trail which allows one to reach the Cataract Loop Trail
- There are three washouts west of the Valley Bottom Trail that are still passable on the Cataract Creek Trail
- A fourth washout, near the turnoff north to Raspberry Pass Trail/south to Cummings Creek Trail forces snowmobilers to turn downhill toward Cataract creek and proceed west
- this temporary trail will be used until the washout - 15 feet wide - has its' own temporary re-routing (2nd priority Dec. 1)
- Raspberry Pass Trail Lower: This trail is in very good shape until you are almost at where it joins the Etherington Creek Trail, where it is destroyed
- heavy equipment will be need to repair the current trail route here, so most likely the trail will be moved and a new bridge installed.
- this is now a dead end trial, does not allow for a complete "loop" ride
- Raspberry Pass Trail Upper: was not inspected, suspect just needs trail cleaning (4th priority Dec. 1), but may have landslide crossing it, as another trail does
- Cummings Creek Trail: is in very good shape until you almost reach the south end (Pasque Trail), where a landslide has come down the hillside from the ridge and blocked the trail
- this slide has not closed off the trail but will require substantial chain-sawing to cut downed trees and create a path (3rd priority Dec. 1)
- Wilkinson Summit Trail: currently the only trail leading out of Cataract Creek day use parking lot
- we do not know yet if the bridge over the creek is still in place for one to access Pasque Trail, along the south end of the snowmobile area
- the road will close at mid-night November 30, and be for winter snowmobile use
- currently it is bladed for road travel, a new snow (coming Dec1-3) will be needed to cover the exposed gravel on the road
- BEWARE OF THE TWO "DIPS" IN THE ROAD, THEY ARE NOW BETTER SIGNED by Albert Transport, but be conscious of them while on this trail

In two days, this was all that was able to be completed. There is no information to provide on the following trails:
Skyline Trail
Pasque Trial
Oyster Excursion Trail
Fallers Trail
Etherington Trail - have information that it is passable
Baril Loop Trail - have information that it is passable
Baril Creek Trail - have information that it is passable - NO NEW OR NOVICE SNOWMOBILERS!!! This trail looks to start easy, but is for very seasoned/expert/double black diamond snowmobilers only!
Loggers Trail

Organizer
Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee
Calgary Snowmobile Club

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you see the government agencies helping with any of this?? Big project for sure. Thanks for doing this Kaz Dog. We need more people like you making a difference here in Alberta. It`s gonna be a challenge take it easy

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kaz Dog - how did it go yesterday? Any surprises?

Also, the temperatures this weekend are not looking very promising. High of -15, wind chill taking it to -25. Is there any thought of pushing that back a week? The turnout might be much better.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Knee deep, our group was discussing the same thing.Riding at -15 is a whole lot different than working in it.Just let us know.

Last edited:

fshog

Reaction score
Hello all!

I would be willing to help in any way possible as I live in Okotoks. I've just been in contact with the membership co-ordinator for the Calg Snowmobile Club and plan on becoming a member too. I have recently gotten back into the sport and had contacted the CSC about membership and local riding areas. I've found out how bad the damage is in the Cataract Creek area and would like to help out if I can.

Look forward to any info on what I could do, as well as meeting fellow riders!

Thx!

Sent from my iPad using

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just talking about what to do about this upcoming Saturday, with my brother a minute ago. My inclination right now is to cancel, but I will wait 24 hours to see what the weather will do. If the forecast does not change I am inclined to postpone for one week. - PLEASE SEE POST ON TOP OF THIS ONE, I THINK I HAVE CHANGED MY MIND.....

Yesterday went very well, 15 people showed up, and this allowed three big projects to be completed, and a further two trails opened up, and a pathway through to Etherington Trail from Raspberry Pass Trail found. Full trail report to be posted tomorrow.
Kaz Dog - how did it go yesterday? Any surprises?

Also, the temperatures this weekend are not looking very promising. High of -15, wind chill taking it to -25. Is there any thought of pushing that back a week? The turnout might be much better.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am going to throw it out there to all Snow and Mudders on this thread; Would you like to volunteer and undertake trail clearing this Saturday, or postpone for one week?

My feeling is if we are out of the wind, I do not think it will be that bad. The forecast is for -16 with little to no wind, and the morning starts at -24. Properly bundled up while riding, and taking a layer off while working - my feeling is it will be fine.

Opinions? Who is in? Who is out? knee deep in it? Bunn? platter? DYSLEXIC? awkward moose?

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would love have you along for some trail maintenance volunteering would you like to go this Saturday, given the forecast?
Hello all!

I would be willing to help in any way possible as I live in Okotoks. I've just been in contact with the membership co-ordinator for the Calg Snowmobile Club and plan on becoming a member too. I have recently gotten back into the sport and had contacted the CSC about membership and local riding areas. I've found out how bad the damage is in the Cataract Creek area and would like to help out if I can.

Look forward to any info on what I could do, as well as meeting fellow riders!

Thx!

Sent from my iPad using

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would recommend giving it a couple of days to decide. 2 days in Alberta can change the weather forecast for the weekend.

You guys need a photo taker for the projects to show us northerners what your doing.

Good work guys keep it up

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a general opinion and mabe make the call Thursday.They have already raised the high temp for Saturday to -11.
Any pic's from Sunday and how was the snow coverage?

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
agreed with making the call on thursday. Is there a real deadline to have it done this weekend?

I have volunteered lots and organized volunteers. If you make the experience unenjoyable, they don't come back. A high of -15 with the wind chill being -25 or colder all day is one way to ensure many will never volunteer again.

fshog

Reaction score
Would love have you along for some trail maintenance volunteering would you like to go this Saturday, given the forecast?

Not a problem, if everything's still a go - weather permitting. just send me some details on where, when, and who I can contact. Thanks, John

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After walking the dog this morning with the temperature at -16 degrees - which is to be the warmest on Saturday, and the day starting at -24 in the forecast - I am cancelling the scheduled Trail Safety and Maintenance Day on Saturday, December 7.

Given the Calgary Snowmobile's Clubs' planned destination ride to Golden, B.C., on December 14 - 15, those members who are unable to attend this ride - and the general public - are invited to a re-scheduled Safety and Maintenance Trail Day on Saturday, December 14. Please PM me if you are able to attend the Trails Day. It is planned that the new snowmobile ramp at the Cataract Creek parking lot will be installed by this date, so please gather/muster there. If this changes, I will PM you.

I plan on going down to the C.C.S.A. on Saturday, to continue touring the trails/documenting the damage for the club/ESRD. I will stage from the Sawmill Road Gate and proceed west on the Cataract Creek Trail to start my day, then head to Skyline and Oyster Trails first. If the weather changes in a positive way and others would like to be along as well, you are more than welcome. I will be taking my chainsaw and a GPS/video camera.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pictures coming, and there was plenty of snow.
Get a general opinion and mabe make the call Thursday.They have already raised the high temp for Saturday to -11.
Any pic's from Sunday and how was the snow coverage?

Snow67

Reaction score
Thanks Scott for all your work getting this going,i think last Saturday went well and we got lots open there is still lots to do and more snow will help for sure but snow was good for this time of year for sure, i would like to say thanks to the two guys on the Polaris rmk600s and the two guys on the xp 800s that came with our group all day i said i would forget you names lol we missed you guys at the meal after the day at staging area so i would just like to say thanks for all your guys help that day we had a great day and got lots done and made the big jobs go easier Thanks again

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Scott for all your work getting this going,i think last Saturday went well and we got lots open there is still lots to do and more snow will help for sure but snow was good for this time of year for sure, i would like to say thanks to the two guys on the Polaris rmk600s and the two guys on the xp 800s that came with our group all day i said i would forget you names lol we missed you guys at the meal after the day at staging area so i would just like to say thanks for all your guys help that day we had a great day and got lots done and made the big jobs go easier Thanks again

The more hands the better and faster it gets done. Thanks for this post always good to thank the volunteers that help.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trail Safety and Maintenance Report for Sunday, December 1

Attendees: (I trust I get the following listed in the correct identifier)

Scott, Roman, Dan, Darren, Rick, Al, Steve, Irv, Mike - CSC Club members
Darryl & Carol, Darrell, Darren & Shanna, Alexeg & Julia - snowmobiling enthusiasts (and future club members?)

Etherington Provincial Recreation Area (P.R.A.) - the parking lot (usual drop off area)

- Main gate just off the Forestry Truck Road (Hwy 940/F.T.R.) is closed due to un-repairable road damage that occurred during the flood
- Users are allowed to park on the access road to the gate, PLEASE DO NOT PARK TRAILERS HERE, NOT MUCH ROOM, AND NO TURNAROUND!
- fence boards have been removed to the left of the gate to allow for snowmobile travel from unloaded truck deck, down through ditch, and back onto road on the other side - ONLY!
- travel through the P.R.A. as close as possible to the road/parking lot/trail entrance - NO FREERIDING THROUGH THE AREA or the access road will be blocked off at the F.T.R.!
- no current access south onto the Valley Bottom Trail on the historical trail through the campground
- a plan is being worked on to provide an approved temporary trail to access the Valley Bottom Trail
- a sign is to be installed for public information purposes, as soon as approval and production can be completed

"Sawmill Road Gate" drop-off/turnaround

- currently the only place to access the Cataract Creek and Valley Bottom Trails
- Please be conscientious how you park here as it is not a large area
- park close to the edges of the area/grader blading, and leave the middle to "fill-in"
- leave enough room to access the drop-off for one vehicle with trailer to pass all the way through and back on the F.T.R.
- Do not use the Sawmill Road to access the Cataract Creek valley, this is only for the trapper in the valley, if he continues to use it
-immediately upon disembarking from the parking area, get on the Valley Bottom Trail, as it has been repaired and is a much better access to the Cataract Creek Trail

Cataract Creek P.R.A. Campground and day-use area/parking lot

- CURRENTLY NO ACCESS WEST TO CATARACT CREEK TRAIL, only south to Wilkinson Summit Trail (and this trail does not access the other trails of the system currently)
- a snowmobile ramp is currently being planned, it is to be installed by Saturday, December 14, so that a temporary access to Cataract Creek Trail may be completed

THE TRAILS (listed from North to South)

Etherington Creek Trail:
-have information that it is passable, only between the Etherington Creek parking lot and the junction of Etherington-Raspberry Pass-Baril Loop Trails
Baril Loop Trail:
-have information that it is passable, only between Etherington Creek Trail and Baril Creek Trail
Baril Creek Trail:
have information that it is passable to the "near-vertical" rock wall climb - NO NEW OR NOVICE SNOWMOBILERS!!! This trail looks to start easy, but is for very seasoned/expert/double black diamond snowmobilers only!
Raspberry Pass Trial:
- Passible from Etherington Trail to Cataract Creek Trail as of Dec. 1, 2013
- New, temporary trail must be fully flagged yet, but maintenance participants discovered a temporary trail that avoids the heavily damaged trail at the north end.
Upper Raspberry Pass Trail:
- Cleared and open as of Dec. 1, 2013
Loggers' Trail:
- no information available
Valley Bottom Trail:
- a temporary trail has been constructed around/uphill of the washout at the south end, just before the connection to the Cataract Creek Trail
- "caution" tape and surveyor's tape has been placed across the trail to direct people around the washout to the temporary trail - and flagged.
- has major damage with a 35 foot washout at the north end, just before the Etherington Campground Trail
- this may require substantial reconstruction with heavy equipment and possibly a bridge, if not a complete re-route
Cataract Creek Trail: All Bridges accessing the "south" trails from the Cataract creek valley off of this trail are washed out, but there are two crossing points over the frozen creek, currently
- there is one bridge left at the very west end of the trail which allows one to reach the Cataract Loop Trail
- There are three washouts west of the Valley Bottom Trail that are still passable on the Cataract Creek Trail
- A fourth washout, near the turnoff north to Raspberry Pass Trail/south to Cummings Creek Trail has a temporary trail down and through a shallow washout and up beside the existing trail
- this temporary trail will be used until the washout - 15 feet wide - has a bridge built over it this next year (hopefully)
Cataract Loop Trail:
- the "straight" portion of this trail has not been travelled, but expectations are that, from clearing done last year, the trail will be mostly open and in good condition
Raspberry Pass Trail Lower:
- This trail is in very good shape until you are almost at where it joins the Etherington Creek Trail, where there is major damage, and a temporary trail has been found to join into Etherington Creek Trail
- Flagging of this new temporary trail will be done on our next Safety and Maintenance Day
Raspberry Pass Trail Upper:
- was cleared and found to be in good shape, Dec. 1, 2013
Wilkinson Summit Trail:
- currently the only trail leading out of Cataract Creek day use parking lot, and ride-able after the snow we have just had
- BEWARE OF THE TWO "DIPS" IN THE ROAD, THEY ARE NOW BETTER SIGNED by Albert Transport, but be conscious of them while on this trail
- when you leave the trail (that is the Forestry Truck Road) and try and access Pasque Trail, at the south end of the area traversing East-West, the bridges over Wilkinson Creek (100 foot span now) and one further on across a tributary (30 foot span) are both "out"/destroyed
- the access gate across the trail just off of the F.T.R. has been closed with a twig from a tree, but should be signed as a closed trail and locked
Cummings Creek Trail:
- is in very good shape through to where the crossover trail is to Skyline, Oyster Excursion, and Fallers Trails
- just south of the crossover trail, there is a washout that did not have enough snow to travers
- as soon as more information is available, it will be posted
Fallers Trail:
- no information on this trail is available, it has not been checked
Skyline Trail:
- No information on this trail is available, it has not been checked
Oyster Excursion Trail:
- there is a washout just as you enter this trail from the north end
- no more information is available at this time for this trail
Pasque Trial:
- as mentioned previously, the two bridges that access this trail off of Wilkinson Summit Trail are out, with one being completely un-crossable
- there is a thought to temporarily rerouting access to Pasque Trail from Wilkinson, but that will have to be completed on a further day.

Organizer
Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Trails Committee
Calgary Snowmobile Club

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look from on the first bridge west of Cataract Creek parking lot south to new creek bank. The end of this bridge that you see use to be anchored to the original south shoreline
PB280366.jpg
A side view of the same bridge. A whole lot of room to the new south shoreline now!
PB280367.jpg

Top Bottom