Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have never been out that way, I am hoping to go this weekend. Can anybody give me an update on trail conditions and if a 4x4 is needed to get to the staging area's? Thanks in advance!

Trail conditions still good. No 4x4 needed to access staging areas but if it dumps snow in the next couple of days it wouldn't hurt to have one. Never hurts to be prepared. These trails are two way trails ride like it a road. Slow down at corners and stay to your side of the trails are be aware of oncoming traffic. Just a heads up.
Enjoy your ride and have a good day.
Where are you from?

Kokanee9

Reaction score
I have never been out that way, I am hoping to go this weekend. Can anybody give me an update on trail conditions and if a 4x4 is needed to get to the staging area's? Thanks in advance!

I don't have 4wd, but I do have some decent snow tires all the way around. There was a short period where I shoveled bunch of snow into the back of the truck, for the added weight on the rear tires. Slow and steady once I turn off the pavement has gotten me to the staging areas so far this year.
Logging trucks may also be encountered on the drive in.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't need a 4x4 but the road can be a bit icy at times so if you're pulling a heavy trailer some of the hills may be hard to get up with a 2 wheel drive. If you have a sled deck no worries at all with a 2x4.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I live in Bruderheim AB

Come on down then. Logging company keep roads good and they can't haul during the weekends. I'm sure there is a little new snow out there. I'm going out Friday to groom some of the trails and I'll let you know how roads are.
Where you staying down here? Longview has a small hotel that is OK. GOOD food at the old Longview Hotel and bar.

captain91

Reaction score
First timer coming out this Sunday as well. Looking forward to hearing snow conditions out there, hopefully they're getting the same or more down there as the Calgary areas.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First timer coming out this Sunday as well. Looking forward to hearing snow conditions out there, hopefully they're getting the same or more down there as the Calgary areas.

I never made it there today afterall. Sorry guys but that's the way it goes sometimes. Snow will be good. I'm sure there is some fresh out there. Go for it

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I never made it there today afterall. Sorry guys but that's the way it goes sometimes. Snow will be good. I'm sure there is some fresh out there. Go for it
I think you're probably going to get fired now.........

Kokanee9

Reaction score
I don't have 4wd, but I do have some decent snow tires all the way around. There was a short period where I shoveled bunch of snow into the back of the truck, for the added weight on the rear tires. Slow and steady once I turn off the pavement has gotten me to the staging areas so far this year.
Logging trucks may also be encountered on the drive in.

I should have also mentioned that anytime I have encountered logging trucks, they have always been very courteous by slowing down and moving over as much as possible.
The best thing to do is probably just pull over where the road allows it and let them go by. They appreciate it alot. As mentioned, hauling takes place on weekdays.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should have also mentioned that anytime I have encountered logging trucks, they have always been very courteous by slowing down and moving over as much as possible.
The best thing to do is probably just pull over where the road allows it and let them go by. They appreciate it alot. As mentioned, hauling takes place on weekdays.
I think I'm gunna get a CB and call km it's really starting to freak me out especially in BC.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Logging trucks are not allowed to run on the weekends. During the week I just take my time heading in and out. Go slow so you can stop fast or pull over. They know how to drive those rigs and as long as they see you and you see them before you get to close it will be ok. 1 tricky corner just before Etherington staging area. I slow right down and peek around that corner.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That corner before Etherington is way worse in summer with people hauling bumper draggers from Cataract than it is in winter with the odd logging truck. But yes take your time and there is no reason to be concerned with the road. It's well traveled and for the most part good and wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello riders. Was out on the trails yesterday grooming. Snow is still good and trails good also. Fresh snow even but it very wet and hard to groom. The weather is going to have a impact on the snow base. It's the wind that drives the heat into the snow. I would get out there and go for a ride. Some trails may be rougher than others but they have a pretty good base and should hold up for a while. Get out and enjoy

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out yesterday. Staged at Cataract and must pass on compliments to Glen & crew regarding the grooming. Very nice! We rode most of the trails and they are in pretty good shape. We didn't run into any bare spots on the trails but snow was really wet. Base was still good but it won't last long if the chinook continues. Temps were about +6C most of the day with snow flurries up top and light rain down below.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We were out yesterday. Staged at Cataract and must pass on compliments to Glen & crew regarding the grooming. Very nice! We rode most of the trails and they are in pretty good shape. We didn't run into any bare spots on the trails but snow was really wet. Base was still good but it won't last long if the chinook continues. Temps were about +6C most of the day with snow flurries up top and light rain down below.

Thanks for the reply. We cant see the whole trail in one day grooming so this helps to report the rest of the trails. Did you get past the snowdrifts on Skyline???

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had no problem with drifts on Skyline. The open areas were completely drifted over so it was easy going. Any spots that were slightly below the crest of the ridge were good too with no serious drifting. Only place we shoveled out some drifts were at one spot at the top of Etherington where it always blows in.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We had no problem with drifts on Skyline. The open areas were completely drifted over so it was easy going. Any spots that were slightly below the crest of the ridge were good too with no serious drifting. Only place we shoveled out some drifts were at one spot at the top of Etherington where it always blows in.

We put up snowfence at that spot this fall and I think it may have made the drift higher. May have to rethink that at our next trail meeting. Glad Skyline is usable. Had a rider form Edmonton asking about the trail this morning. Mat be a tourism attraction soon.

Top Bottom