Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the recent temps in the teens I assume staging at Cataract is out of the question?

Started out OK yesterday But with that wind it just ate the snow. Staging area was all slush when I went home at 530. It really needs to quit blowing that heat into the snowpack or we are in trouble. Lots of snow back there but set up more now. You all need to ask for another storm

cammont

Reaction score
Yes exactly..... sadly. Even if I thought I could make it once, I'm not sure registration is worth it.

Tough call.... but as some of the previous threads have mentioned, local law enforcement has been out there regularly checking documents this year... which is good to see.

I'm not 100% sure about a snowmobile, but an unregistered motor vehicle in Alberta is a $310 ticket (and could be towed at the discretion of the officer). I can only assume an unregistered snowmobile is the same fine as it is still considered a "vehicle" in the definitions of the TSA and TSAR. I think to register a sled costs about $60; don't forget to take in your proof of insurance if you elect to register the sled.

Safety/Search & Rescue
Calgary Snow Mobile Club Home

GrumpyGuy

Reaction score
Tough call.... but as some of the previous threads have mentioned, local law enforcement has been out there regularly checking documents this year... which is good to see.

I'm not 100% sure about a snowmobile, but an unregistered motor vehicle in Alberta is a $310 ticket (and could be towed at the discretion of the officer). I can only assume an unregistered snowmobile is the same fine as it is still considered a "vehicle" in the definitions of the TSA and TSAR. I think to register a sled costs about $60; don't forget to take in your proof of insurance if you elect to register the sled.

Safety/Search & Rescue

Oh... for sure. I just re-registered my truck, but gave pause when considering the sleds.... $54 each (x2) and I may not even get to take them out again. Makes me sad. We'll see if we have a late winter.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Started out OK yesterday But with that wind it just ate the snow. Staging area was all slush when I went home at 530. It really needs to quit blowing that heat into the snowpack or we are in trouble. Lots of snow back there but set up more now. You all need to ask for another storm

Is there enough of a base on the lower trails that they are still snow?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was out today. Cooler out there today. Snow got a little soft and is still hanging around. I did some signage up on Fording Pass trail. New trapper said some guys were riding out of bounds. Parks would not be happy if we did nothing about that. So you Fording riders will see a few more signs out there. Please stay on the trail we don't want to be the next Castle.
Thanks

tucker_98

Reaction score

Safety/Search & Rescue
The fine for expired stickers is $150 - I unfortunately am 100% sure. The lack of reminder in the mail doesn't help much...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The process has started. Today was my first day alone to do some grooming with the All Track groomer. Its gonna take a while to get it all caught up. Wednesday Ill get up to Baril Loop and give it a try. That trail is bad. Go into Etherington as well. Slow process because of the moguls. Fasten the seatbelt and giver at a very slow rate. Snow was still a little mushy in the sun today. Will keep you all posted

Last edited:

smyanick

Reaction score
Are you a mogul master yet. I was thinking Wednesday or Thursday to come out and help with blading the skyline and Pasque.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you a mogul master yet. I was thinking Wednesday or Thursday to come out and help with blading the skyline and Pasque.

When I get after Baril Trail I WILL be a mogul master. Looking now to be Wednesday.

The blading is up to you. You can do that better than me right now. But just wait.

Trail slowly coming together. Volunteers make it happen. Thanks

Reklaw

Reaction score
Anyone heading out this weekend? Don't want to go alone but want to get out on the sled!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm home tommorow and heading back out to see how the grooming has been going. I would like to thank
ALL TRACK for the grooming equipment and Mark and Daryll for grooming and all their helpers.
This is one of our ways to make this area better for a family riding area.
Thanks

Top Bottom