Cataract Creek Snowmobile Trails offical thread 2016/17

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would say it is rideable. Calgary Snowmobile Club having a family ride out there. It is what it is. It will still have snow no worries about that. It could be soft and mushy. Get out and enjoy it while its still here. Always a good day

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any riders going up into Fording Pass area be aware of high Avalanche conditions. Be aware know what conditions are before you go. Seen warning on Elkford side of the hills

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Calgary Snowmobile Club had a great ride today. Only issue was the rain. From a drizzle to a good pour in places and then higher we went it turned to snow. Trails are holding up good but trails from staging areas out for a couple of KMs showing signs of spring fast to be coming. Get out and enjoy it while you can. Hope for colder weather and more snow

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To add to Glens trail update, we rode the far southern trails and the snow is still good but the creeks are starting to open up(yes I found one) so watch for that. We were out for six hours Saturday and it poured rain the whole time with some furries. The difference in the trail conditions going back to the Etherington staging area was amazing. When we left, the trail had good snow coverage. When we can back 6hrs later,there were 4" deep water puddles. Crazy, if it wasn't for the amazing work of Glen and his team out there this year, the trails would have been done after last weeks hot spell but they are holding up very well.Pray for more cold and snow.

iride

Reaction score
Though I'd add to this as soon we will be tasked with helping the wife put in gardens and god knows what else. I was out yesterday and could not tell it had rained, I actually thought the conditions we way better than a month ago. I met three other sleds and seen one other solo rider the entire day. The weather was to perfect with my only complaint was not getting there earlier in the day. I did break through in a few spots where the snow is melting underneath as well as hidden surface water putting you into a bit more throttle mode lol. Only been there twice and am looking forward to my next visit.

Slamaha

Reaction score
A couple of buddies and I were out on Saturday. The conditions were quite good considering the recent warm weather, especially the trails.

I have never seen the trails in the area so smooth, most folks out riding Saturday were also very impressed.

A big Thank You! And tip of the hat to Sledder Glen for all of his hard work grooming those trails, if it seems thankless at times please know that it does not go unnoticed.

If you need off season help with trail maintenance, I have a quad, chainsaw, etc, and would love to spend time helping out.

Thanks again for all of the hard work, you are a credit to our sport!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of buddies and I were out on Saturday. The conditions were quite good considering the recent warm weather, especially the trails.

I have never seen the trails in the area so smooth, most folks out riding Saturday were also very impressed.

A big Thank You! And tip of the hat to Sledder Glen for all of his hard work grooming those trails, if it seems thankless at times please know that it does not go unnoticed.

If you need off season help with trail maintenance, I have a quad, chainsaw, etc, and would love to spend time helping out.

Thanks again for all of the hard work, you are a credit to our sport!

Thanks for the complements but its a group effort. I have had a number of helpers this year and appreciate all that we get. There is a dedicated group that work on this area and we all get to benefit. Its nice to hear that people are noticing a change to this area. Our volunteers and supporters are working forward on our efforts to improve this area. Some big news coming in the future. So remember how good the trails were when we ask for your support next year. Simple support can be a trailpass purchase and attend our fundraising efforts throughout the season. Trail helpers are always needed and in the fall it will be posted looking for helpers. This trail system is supported by a club of volunteers. Government help has been with bridges and support with our needs out there. Basic funding comes from trailpass sales and fundraising from a snowmobile rally. Our provincial snowmobile association (ASA) has helped us financially and behind the scene with strong provincial trail programs and funding opportunities to improve snowmobiling across the province.
All Track Inc. lent us a trail groomer and K and C gravel fed it fuel and volunteers drove it down the trails. These are just a couple of our supporters. We will like to thank all the companies that help us make it happen. Volunteers also are worth their weight in gold. Thanks to all.

DoCDoo

Reaction score
Thinking of maybe hitting Cataract tomorrow. Would be just a casual ride with gf. She has only been out once before.

Is there enough snow on the trails still and are they in decent shape or all whoops.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kokanee9

Reaction score
Thinking of maybe hitting Cataract tomorrow. Would be just a casual ride with gf. She has only been out once before.

Is there enough snow on the trails still and are they in decent shape or all whoops.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of going tomorrow also for possibly the last ride of the season, unless we get a spring dump of snow out there. Have been watching the weather radar closely and noticed some snow activity earlier this week. I also got rained on and ran into a small avalanche while I was at work in Yoho Nat park last week, so I don't know what expect at cataract. Chances are that I will be going alone tomorrow, if I even end up going.

So I'm wondering also if there is enough snow around the staging areas to make it to the trails.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't help with trail conditions. I'm up working on the Trans Canadian Snowmobile Trail north of Flatbush AB. Will try next week. I would try it. Can't be that bad yet

Kokanee9

Reaction score
Staged at Cataract yesterday. Valley bottom west of the staging area is thin in some spots and bare in others where the sun hits it. The ice crossing beside the big bridge is gone. May be able to get around it in another place, but it looks like a big air space under the ice remaining over the creek. Probably best to go further west and use a snowmobile bridge. Lots of snow remaining after you leave the valley bottom and go south. I never went on any trails in the northern half.

If I go again, I would stage at etherington area and try the access from there.

lewishillbilly

Reaction score
staged @ Etherington yestarday, p lot is all mud now. Still snow in the meadow, many thin spots on the trails now. Southern areas still have LOTS of snow, but soon won't be able to get to them. My compliments to Sledderglen and his crew of volunteers who kept the trails in great shape this season,u guys did an awesome job! Looking forward to purchasing 2 more passes for next year!! C u next season.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
staged @ Etherington yestarday, p lot is all mud now. Still snow in the meadow, many thin spots on the trails now. Southern areas still have LOTS of snow, but soon won't be able to get to them. My compliments to Sledderglen and his crew of volunteers who kept the trails in great shape this season,u guys did an awesome job! Looking forward to purchasing 2 more passes for next year!! C u next season.

Thanks for that.

All area users please check in here often. We have some important news about the future of this area. You all will be happy. Will give you more info then. Stay tuned

Kokanee9

Reaction score
IMG_7220.JPG IMG_7222.JPG

The first is just some snow. So rare these days, I just had to take a picture. The second is the valley bottom west of Cataract parking lot. The entire area is not like this but does have patches of bare areas. This is the worst area. The snow on the ground is from the snowfall in the first picture about 30 min earlier.

If anyone can give me a tip on how to turn the picture, I would appreciate it.

Kokanee9

Reaction score
IMG_7212.jpg

IMG_7205.jpg

IMG_7196.JPG

As you can see, there is still enough snow in the southern area to make for a good trip. These were during my trip last Sat.

Again, if anyone has tips on how to have these turned properly. I would appreciate it. Nothing more annoying than having to turn your head to look at the screen!

Last edited:
Top Bottom