Cataract Creek on Sunday

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
Does anybody know if Cataract is getting all of the snow that we are getting in Calgary? If so, is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? Or is that area done/closed for the sledding season? :beer:

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know if Cataract is getting all of the snow that we are getting in Calgary? If so, is anyone else thinking what I am thinking? Or is that area done/closed for the sledding season? :beer:

Strange storm was very isolated to the southwest......I had two or three inches of snow on my property and it was coming down quite fierce last night

Yes I am thinking what your thinking......but I dont think they got much

technically cataract is closed april 30....

AMA Road Reports - Highway Cameras

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We didn't have any snow stick except to the cars here in Okotoks. Buddy in Cochrane said they had 11.5 inches on his deck this morning.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

I would think Cataract is done.It was close to done when i was there on March 6.LOTS of Dirt ridding then . I wouldn't think it has gotten any better.The only spot that i think would be good there would be top of Fording on the BC side. But i don't think you would get there now without a Chopper.

Did some ridding close to Elkford on April 17. Even the lower trails there are getting thin. We did probe around 7 feet where we were ridding up top.

I wish there was snow there.:beer::beer::beer:

X-RS Doo

Reaction score
I guess I was jumping the gun a little. My bad for being too excited. I guess the storm wasn't as wide spread as I thought. I live in the NW and we had 8 inches in our back yard last night.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I guess I was jumping the gun a little. My bad for being too excited. I guess the storm wasn't as wide spread as I thought. I live in the NW and we had 8 inches in our back yard last night.

Who knows what is happening out there.says up to 40cm for southern foothills.Hmmmm no work tomorrow

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I'm sure it's snowing there now by the looks of the radar and satellite weather, but who knows what will stick. I was told we are supposed to get more overnight and tomorrow with up to 15-20cm

Here's the forecast for K Country

Warnings

Kananaskis - Canmore
3:46 PM MDT Wednesday 28 April 2010
Winter storm warning for
Kananaskis - Canmore continued

Intermittent rain changing to snow today and tonight. Snowfall amounts of 10 to 20 centimetres by Thursday evening in most localities.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.

An intense weather system over Southern Alberta will slowly move eastward into Saskatchewan by Thursday evening. Ahead of the low periods of rain have begun in many communities with wet snow occurring along the foothills. As the low moves east the winds will shift to northwest 50 gusting to 80 km/h and snow will spread into western and Southern Alberta. Snowfall amounts will generally be in the range of 10 to 25 centimetres, but elevation effects will enhance the snowfall to near 40 centimetres along portions of the southern foothills and locally through the Lethbridge and Cardston regions. Extremely poor visibilities can be expected at times with the strong winds and falling snow.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
If I wake up to copious amounts of fluffy white stuff in the AM, then I'm loading up and heading out to Etherington to play in it for the day. Here's what 22 south is looking like right now just north of the 520 and SE of Cataract. It's looking very promising, and the heavy snow is supposed to hit near midnight. Hopefully they get dumped with 20 inches in the foothills as being forecasted right now.

Attachments

• 22-08_2.jpg
    22-08_2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 379

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
I have never been to cataract creek, how far is it from calgary? where is it exactly? If there is a good hit of snow I may be up for friday if there is enough to play in still.

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
If I wake up to copious amounts of fluffy white stuff in the AM, then I'm loading up and heading out to Etherington to play in it for the day. Here's what 22 south is looking like right now just north of the 520 and SE of Cataract. It's looking very promising, and the heavy snow is supposed to hit near midnight. Hopefully they get dumped with 20 inches in the foothills as being forecasted right now.

I have been looking at the same stuff that you are looking at. What time are you going . Ill go if you are wanting to go.I just didnt wana go solo.

I wont bring the 1980 srx 440 lol

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that there will be a lot of trash and stumps to hit. There was no snow out there last week, now this new stuff will only have covered up the bare dirt and stumps, not really any base to it, easy to sink in, clip junk underneath and break stuff - just in time to fix it for summer though.... based on the warm ground temps we had for a couple weeks, if they get 40 cms maybe 15-20 cms of it will stick around....maybe.....

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I would think that there will be a lot of trash and stumps to hit. There was no snow out there last week, now this new stuff will only have covered up the bare dirt and stumps, not really any base to it, easy to sink in, clip junk underneath and break stuff - just in time to fix it for summer though.... based on the warm ground temps we had for a couple weeks, if they get 40 cms maybe 15-20 cms of it will stick around....maybe.....

Your probably right. Its i ether hit stumps and trash . Or Rocks and Barbwire in the ditches around Calgary. :d

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score

:Protest: Think possisitive, Fix later :Cool9::lol:

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i too would be a little weary of getting my hopes up to high out there, but i have been pleasently surprised before, like our trip there in nov with 4ft fresh...

please post conditions after your trip.:beer::beer:

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
The snow today was absolutely spectacular, but it won't last long and is already starting to drop down low with 30% or so already having melted. Much like Dec 5th where there was 12" in the parking lot, and the further south you climbed, the deeper it got, and very quickly I might add. We took Raspberry, then the upper loop to avoid the open creeks, up on Cummings where we were greeted with about 3feet at the Skyline turn off.

Then we booked it over Oyster Link to the Logging Road where we were beaming with 2-3 feet of untracked fresh on the road and headed back to the meadows. The further south along the logging road we went, the deeper it got. Swear there's 4 feet in some places and smooth as butter. We played down in the big meadow above the creek (south of Skyline) and it was epic.

Deep snow everywhere on the south end and I have never been pounded with so much snow coming up over the shield. Loved every minute of it and thanks to CalgarySledGuy who was awesome to ride with. If you guys are planning to head out...do it FRIDAY as the stuff low down will likely thin right out by Saturday. Either stage from the south gates, or head up over Raspberry and things are real good. Only 4 sleds out today and we left Skyline untouched. I am sure Skyline has 4 feet as you head up and maybe more at the top. The north entry to Skyline has wicked snow so I can imagine what the run up is like. Hit it soon guys as it won't last long!

Pictures now...video later!

Attachments

• Cat-Apr-10 012.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 012.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Cat-Apr-10 019.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 019.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 144
  • Cat-Apr-10 030.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 030.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Cat-Apr-10 028.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 028.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 143

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Knee high all over the south meadows. Here's a couple of CalgarySledGuy drifting in the meadow, and some pics on the way out as the snow is shrinking. Notice the Kananaskis sign on the way in (first group of pics above) and then again on the way out. The snow is wicked, but doubt it will be anywhere near as good Saturday. Friday is the day to go, and whoever hits Skyline, get some pics and video of the run up. Hero snow everywhere!

Oh yeah! Lot's of Elk along the fringe of the closed highway as we headed out. Must of been 40-50 of them as we hit the stop sign!

Attachments

• Cat-Apr-10 051.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 051.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 132
  • Cat-Apr-10 052.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 052.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Cat-Apr-10 064.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 064.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Cat-Apr-10 065.jpg
    Cat-Apr-10 065.jpg