Can am powersteering

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 xxc1000 and the powersteering quits working in tighter trails at slow speeds. I did have the unit changed but it still does it. Am i alone. Is there others having issues with gen 2 can Ams. I have changed the battery and checked all connections also

Last edited:

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 xxc1000 and the powersteering quits working in tighter trails at slow speeds. I did have the unit changed but it still does it. I am alone. Is there others having issues with gen 2 can Ams. I have changed the battery and checked all connections also
Mine has never missed a beat on my 12...there is a BUDS update that supposedly addresses some of the issues....

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine shuts off intermittently. Shut the key off, sit till gauge display goes off. Start it up, and it works again for a while. I think it must be a bad connection somewhere. Will probably drop it off and use my warranty for the first time in 2000km.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a bad stator and/or regulator cause this issue on a Sportsman.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave,is there one for Kawaski ? or even Can-am?
I am going to be honest...I looked for all and found mostly Polaris. LOL. Official thread derailment...Imdroolin stuck his nose in to make some sort of a point....not sure what....

We owe Drew562 a new thread. (check on CanAm Talk Drew....lots more info over there with a lot less thread killers. LOL)

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not pirated any thread dave, interested in issues with can ams, there have been several threads that you have posted that they are trouble free gas n go, so what is the problem? Problem with any quad may help with another quad. Not sure why you need it to be secret.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the responses dave. There may not be common issues. I have bad luck when buying toys. Last year my xm was one of few that wouldn't hold rpm on long pulls. Dealers couldn't fix it. So I sold it and bought another. Then I had a electrical fire in my garage. 2102 outlander 1000 done to the nuts and 5 sleds burnt. My new quad cost over 6 grand more than Insurance gave me. Now I only have powersteering at high speed which is where i ride. But dealers can't fix it. Do I sell. I need powersteering to plow this winter. I think it's time for a bag of granola and a Kevlar walking stick. Maybe I will have better luck. Lol I hoped someone else had a fix. The dealers don't that's for sure. Atleast I got a great deal on a ktm450 today. Rode it this afternoon and so far its reliable. Lol

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come ride my old Honda that has a spool in the front, once you get back on your CanHam, it will feel like it has power steering.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not pirated any thread dave, interested in issues with can ams, there have been several threads that you have posted that they are trouble free gas n go, so what is the problem? Problem with any quad may help with another quad. Not sure why you need it to be secret.
I said MINE was trouble free gas n go...get new glasses.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem on the gen 2 is that the fan runs all the time causing a voltage drop which throws a code on the DPS.Not an issue on my gen1 but my sons gen 2 has done it and since had software updates.Really needs a more powerful stator.bandaid fix.My son is going to remove the side panels which make it run hot.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem on the gen 2 is that the fan runs all the time causing a voltage drop which throws a code on the DPS.Not an issue on my gen1 but my sons gen 2 has done it and since had software updates.Really needs a more powerful stator.bandaid fix.My son is going to remove the side panels which make it run hot.

Thats crazy but could be whats happening to mine. My gen one renny battery would die just from plowing the drivway. I couldn't even plow with the lights on. Now my Gen 2 Is the looking to be the same. Plowing in the dark with no powersteering. The real ****ty thing is its 10 times harder to steer when the powersteering quits. U can hardly push the bars. I wish I hadn't hot powersteering. Would have saved 4 grand and less problems.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Thats crazy but could be whats happening to mine. My gen one renny battery would die just from plowing the drivway. I couldn't even plow with the lights on. Now my Gen 2 Is the looking to be the same. Plowing in the dark with no powersteering. The real ****ty thing is its 10 times harder to steer when the powersteering quits. U can hardly push the bars. I wish I hadn't hot powersteering. Would have saved 4 grand and less problems.

wire in a shut off switch for the fan, and put in a higher capacity battery.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run mine on med or low DPS all the time...wonder if this is a saver?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run mine on med or low DPS all the time...wonder if this is a saver?

Im going for a big ride tomorrow and will try steering on low I did find out today the same battery that was weak in the older can ams is still used today in the new ones. I ordered a oddessy replacement battery and It was a fix for the older models. They used to go In limp mode a lot while heavy winching.

Last edited:

toyz

Reaction score
i ride mine in max dps all the time never had a problem with it . Got a rear bulb that bows in 5 seconds flat though. Paid $16 for the first replacement.

Top Bottom