Buying a truck from the US

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did, don't waste your money on a broker. Took me an extra 30 minutes to clear the border due to a bit more paperwork.

Ya that's what I figured. Do you need to take any paper work that proves you are the owner of the company or anything unusual like that?
I just talked to a guy who brought in a new motor home in his company name. He said it was back in 2005 but he doesn't remember having any issues.

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had to pay green levy on the wife's Denali. I think it was $3200. It's only on passenger vehicles. Trucks are exempt. Levy varies based on number of passengers and fuel economy. Things like corvettes and vipers pay the most since only two passengers and high fuel consumption.

aaron_m

Reaction score
vw touareg has won the Dakkar rally the last two years in a row. are you serious about gravel !!!!!.

I know i know. but the off the lot vehicle doesn`t have a lot of ground clearance either. and $60g on a work vehicoe, ouch. Mind you, any new truck, decent one anyways that i want, is 60 as well haha

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey man my wifes vw golf handles gravel better than most pickups. VW has it down.

aaron_m

Reaction score
Hey man my wifes vw golf handles gravel better than most pickups. VW has it down.

Been watching cars.com. i can get a newish touareg tdi diesal 2011 or 2012 loaded in the states with what I want, for about $12,000 less than what i can up here.
but then RIV fee, duty, gst and pst etc etc and i think i can save around 5g`s. But then ZERO warranty

van isle

Reaction score
Plus you will have a Speedo in MPH and its resale will be lower.

Unless its built in North America so you dont have to pay duty. Plus the manufacture will honor the warrenty in Canada. you will need a Huge price difference or option difference from Canada its just not worth it.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You pay gst and PST if you buy it here so that doesn't factor in. Most speedos have both so not an issue. Not sure if you pay duty on a VW on my Ford I did not pay any duty.

Keep in mind as well you pay less gst and PST than you would here because it costs less.

And the value will not be any less that is just dumb its the same vehicle some people might care but most won't.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Vw honors complete warranty in Canada. You can go to ucanimport.com to see the mfg policies.

aaron_m

Reaction score
Vw honors complete warranty in Canada. You can go to ucanimport.com to see the mfg policies.
incorrect sir.
Us warranty is transferrable to Canada on applies to 2007MY and earlier, on 2008 VW split up their American and Canadian operations and for 08+ model year any US warranty is NOT valid in Canada. It remains valid in the US so while your warranty is in effect you can get warranty work done stateside.

I think that ucanimprt website was accurate, when it was last updated, in 2008.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I just got a reply from dodge canada and they will not warranty if truck comes from usa, I even told them it was from my parents that winter in florida and I always buy there trucks and they said NO, so if anyone wants to post this letter pm me your e-mail I will forward it to you to post. It is alot more work if it is bought through a company to get across border and more fees, do not try and hide anything or bullch!t your way through, you will get caught, LOL ask me how I know............Just came back in november with 2011 dakota, 2012 enclosed 28ft and a race bike for guy in sherwood park, he works for Rick at petro's shop and no trouble. Was going to buy a 2011 but with my discounts(who you know) and the rebates they have up here and getting a 2012 dodge mega laramie is only 3/4 grand diff. So will get it from here. Good luck and if anyone wants contacts in the usa for anything pm me. Even pay up to 4000 extra on lux vehicals. Good luck

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually most 2008 VW's are covered. The Mrs. has a 2008 V10 Touareg fully covered by warranty.

Dodge are not covered
GM are covered after a certain milage or time in service.(like 6 months)
Ford are covered immediately.

incorrect sir.
Us warranty is transferrable to Canada on applies to 2007MY and earlier, on 2008 VW split up their American and Canadian operations and for 08+ model year any US warranty is NOT valid in Canada. It remains valid in the US so while your warranty is in effect you can get warranty work done stateside.

I think that ucanimprt website was accurate, when it was last updated, in 2008.

avyhhr

Reaction score
As for car dealers that buy from the USA, my local Chevy Dealer (starts with M.... ends with urray) openly told me they get their higher end vehicles (Caddy, Denali, and I've seen Duramax's too) from the USA.... Told me warranty wasn't an issue. Late model used, of course.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flew to Florida and picked up a 2011 F-350 dually King Ranch ( and yes I saved a pile of money). Drove to Michigan and picked up a new XLR Thunderbolt toy hauler ( and yes I saved an even bigger pile of money). Brought both back in my company's name and had no issue's at the border. I bought the truck from a GM dealer in Jacksonville and he said there are a ton of Canadians buying vehicles of all kinds in Florida.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, how was the drive? Did you make a holiday out of it or just drive strait back?
I think the XLR's are the nicest toyhualer right now, good choice.

Flew to Florida and picked up a 2011 F-350 dually King Ranch ( and yes I saved a pile of money). Drove to Michigan and picked up a new XLR Thunderbolt toy hauler ( and yes I saved an even bigger pile of money). Brought both back in my company's name and had no issue's at the border. I bought the truck from a GM dealer in Jacksonville and he said there are a ton of Canadians buying vehicles of all kinds in Florida.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I was thinking of doing, how was the drive? Did you make a holiday out of it or just drive strait back?
I think the XLR's are the nicest toyhualer right now, good choice.

The trip was really nice. We drove straight back. Took 8 days but we did camp on a nice campground on Lake Michigan to test drive the XLR. If I did it again I would take 2 weeks or more as there are things to see every where and we just did not have time to stop or even take a break. Had to get the Misses home so she could get back to work. We've had the XLR out on two quadding/camping weekends now and really like it :)

Top Bottom