Buying a truck from the US

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we brought the wifes mini van up, it was easy. Paperwork at border # days in advance, make sure there is no recalls, already had insurance told them what was happening and provided SIN number took plate off her old vehicle. Drove to the States met the trucker 2 miles from the border, unloaded and drove to the US side which took all of 5minutes. Drove over to the Canada side had a bit of hassle with the amount I paid ( got a smoking deal and didn't try to cheat the GST). Paid the GST and the RIV fee. Drove home put on the daytime running lights and let it sit in the garage to thaw the summer washer fluid out. Took to Canadian tire, did the inspection went to register but couldn't because it needed an out of province inspection. Back to CT paid the fee he had the vehicle for 5 more minutes. Back over to registries and called insurance to let them know we will now be using the vehicle full time. All in all it is an easy process, that was a slightly used vehicle, don't cheap out and try and save some GST. Not worth the headache. Don't need a broker they will just screw you for something that you can do yourself. My total time was maybe an hour at the border. Also rememeber that the speedometer has to have KMH on it or you will need to change it. The wifes has MPH for the big number and KMH for the small number so I always get sh!t for sppeeding.
Speedo doesn't matter

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yes technically dealers in the states are not supposed to sell to canadians at the low incentives they have but lots do! dave smith is a great dealer and very reputable and it is probably why he wont sell to the canadians. with the full lifetime warranty I would be vary leery of that and would actually get them to make sure the owner of the dealership not the manager but owner that is offering that puts his name and signature down on a contract cause that could get ugly especially with other dealerships! prime example he may tell you that you can dpf/egr delete your new ford and they will warranty for life while other dealers wont go anywere near the product it is all up to dealer discretion. Know if the lifetime warranty is from ford direct then there will be no issues but if it is a warranty guarantee from a dealer then please get something signed to say the dealer will warranty for life no matter what and were

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me if you get a friend or relative to buy a new truck then you buy it from them you still need to have 5000 km on it by the time you get to the border for it to be considered used. Really?

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Someone told me if you get a friend or relative to buy a new truck then you buy it from them you still need to have 5000 km on it by the time you get to the border for it to be considered used. Really?

Nope, you just need to wait for the title from the US government, then they can sell it to you. Friend of mine did it last year.

Chunk

Reaction score

The govt doesn't care if it's new or used as long as the paper work is in order. Some mfg's will penalize dealers if they're caught selling new out of country. Once a vehicle is titled it's used. Certain brands have limitations on warranty out of country though.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford,dodge,chev,toyota and nissan are all good for warranty, I have talked to and e-mail and say they are not a usa warranty it is a north american warranty. You might go on wait list for service but must complete work. Just get in good books with a dealer first, I have got a f350 and a dodge and no problem yet. No warranty left but was good while it did. Texas is where I find the best deals, good luck.

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ford,dodge,chev,toyota and nissan are all good for warranty, I have talked to and e-mail and say they are not a usa warranty it is a north american warranty. You might go on wait list for service but must complete work. Just get in good books with a dealer first, I have got a f350 and a dodge and no problem yet. No warranty left but was good while it did. Texas is where I find the best deals, good luck.

I was told GM and Dodge will not honor warranty if you buy a new truck from the states but Ford will.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One ford, no problem and 1 dodge in 07 when first 6.7 came out and had tranny go went to barrhead to change it out, no prob. Maybe because truck had 2200 miles on it sold as demo in the books, not sure but never had an issue. I think it's who you know that helps to, had trucks bought from here and had problems getting warranty. HMMMMMMMMMMMM

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I brought a Ford up and no problem with warranty and a friend brought a GM also no problem. Funny thing is that I got to know a very nice auction broker in California (bought several things from him) and he says a lot of Canadian dealerships are coming south and buying stuff for their used lots.

aaron_m

Reaction score
I brought a Ford up and no problem with warranty and a friend brought a GM also no problem. Funny thing is that I got to know a very nice auction broker in California (bought several things from him) and he says a lot of Canadian dealerships are coming south and buying stuff for their used lots.

Funny you say that. I am still drooling and fantasizing about a 11 or 12 VW Touareg TDI. I want the TDI and it seems like a good option, but not sure how it will handle gravel, and my work. ANYWAYS....was in at a dealership in saskatoon on friday. The dealership was blatently telling me that the used touareg tdi they had on the lot, was a US vehicle, and it had full warranty. But yet if joe public goes down south and buys a used VW anything, once you cross the border, nothing.
Weasels

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't care if they make money, but void warranty if we bring up but go next day and buy a usa truck and get warranty if they do it. HMMMMMMMMMMMM

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that. I am still drooling and fantasizing about a 11 or 12 VW Touareg TDI. I want the TDI and it seems like a good option, but not sure how it will handle gravel, and my work. ANYWAYS....was in at a dealership in saskatoon on friday. The dealership was blatently telling me that the used touareg tdi they had on the lot, was a US vehicle, and it had full warranty. But yet if joe public goes down south and buys a used VW anything, once you cross the border, nothing.
Weasels

and those are expensive vehicles to start with, very nice though

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone have to pay the Green Tax Levy when bringing a truck back from the USA? Sounds like it could be pricy :(

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I just paid GST and the $200 riv fee

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any issue with buying in your company name and bring across the border?

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do use a broker as its more complicated than personal. Should only cost about $300 for a broker

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there any issue with buying in your company name and bring across the border?

I did, don't waste your money on a broker. Took me an extra 30 minutes to clear the border due to a bit more paperwork.

Top Bottom