Burton making money off motorized back country access???

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The weapon of choice for sled boarders and skiers this season has been the T3 174 with a CFR rack.

SLAYERMIKE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it still comes down to the fact that BRP put the name of a company on their sled that is supporting the closure of a backcountry access motorized vehicle recreational area, and I don't think it right.....

^This is all I was getting at^
Burton is openly supporting the closure of existing trails for motorized recreation and quietly supports groups that fight all motorized back country access.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[h=3]Ski-Doo And Burton Team Up[/h] PRESS RELEASE
Valcourt, Québec, September 25, 2014 – BRP’s Ski-Doo brand is partnering with Burton Snowboards, the world’s leading snowboarding company, with Ski-Doo becoming the official snowmobile for Burton Snowboards’ team of pro riders. The two companies also agreed to co-develop products to suit the needs of snowboarders and snowmobilers and Ski-Doo becomes sponsor of the Burton Mountain Festival.
The emerging trend of riders using snowmobiles to access the backcountry is on the rise, as people find it a more economical way to enjoy their sport. Feedback from Burton and Ski-Doo pro riders will be used to develop products and activities that are exciting and relevant for snowboarders and snowmobilers.
“Partnering with BRP and Ski-Doo is a natural extension for Burton and our team of pro snowboarders,” said Nicholas Sargent, Vice President of Global Business Alliances for Burton. “Our riders use sleds to access fresh powder and new terrain all season long, so they’re really excited to have an official partnership with the Ski-Doo brand. We also look forward to integrating Ski-Doo into the Burton Mountain Festival, which will give them a strong brand presence at the leading snowboard demo experience in North America.”
The Burton Mountain Festival, the most extensive, interactive snowboard demo experience takes place in eight sites throughout North America.
“BRP is proud to develop a partnership with another innovative company like Burton Snowboards, the most renowned name in snowboarding,” stated Louis Lévesque, vice-president, Global Marketing and Consumer Experience. “We share a similar passion for the ultimate experience and a culture of constant innovation where we lead by pushing boundaries in our respective fields.”

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh that was painful to read !!!

the reason burton AK gives a life time warrenty is coz ITS FARKIN **** !!!

total crap product ... watching guys crap on about how good it is and warrenty and then watching it fail on the very first day is comedy gold !!!

I've watched this on first day out twice !!! every piece of burton AK I've seen has gone back for warrenty !!!

I haven't used burton for many years and believe there are much better options even at costco !!!

don't forget us mtn sledders are the minority ...

70% of sleds are sold in the east, and I'm guessing burton too, most of these customers don't even know moab is in north america ...

c.wilson07

Reaction score
Give me some sledding only areas and I'll ride in my pollution all day its bs you get a fine for going near a skiing only area that could be accessed by sleds. And I have to watch out for stoners leaving sleds all over the mountain and riding down on a plank or two.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that the "winter" snowmobile community needs to try and differentiate themselves from the "summer" 4x4 world. Yes they are both motorized vehicles but the potential for ground disturbance from the 4x4's (quads, jeeps, etc) vs snowmobiles is entirely different. With the explosion of popularity of summer off roading, it's hard not sympathize with the hikers and bikers and the non motorized backcountry enthusiasts who are complaining of the damage that can or will happen with 4x4 motorized vehicles.

Perhaps a winter motorized group and a summer motorized group needs to be established. It's fairly easy to show/prove to the public that snowmobiles cause practically zero damage to the backcountry but nearly impossible to prove the same with the motorized summer crowd.

As long as sledding is grouped in the general "motorized vehicle" category, it will be hard to gain the support from the non-motorized community.

As long as snowmobiles are lumped in with jeeps, 4x4's, quads, SxS's, I think we will see less and less access to the backcountry.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all I know is most skier's or boarders can't afford a new sled and granola, if I was a dealer I wouldn't promote the Burton edition

While we don't like being painted with the same brush that snowmobilers are a boozing, disrespectful bunch, it is also short sighted to label snowboarders and skiers as people without money.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Give me some sledding only areas and I'll ride in my pollution all day its bs you get a fine for going near a skiing only area that could be accessed by sleds. And I have to watch out for stoners leaving sleds all over the mountain and riding down on a plank or two.

While we don't like being painted with the same brush that snowmobilers are a boozing, disrespectful bunch, it is also short sighted to label snowboarders and skiers as people without money.

Or stoners...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was talking about the chair lift. Don't think they are powered by pixie dust. What did you burn in your car to get to Rodgers??:rolleyes:
Your question did not refer to resorts, but you are correct.
most lifts run on hydro not fossil fuels....

Anyway i am all about burnin fuel, but i also enjoy the peace and quiet of ski touring in the parks. It is amazing feeling to get to the top of a peak under your own power.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to to disagree here, I have hiked for decades and mountain biked since the first Stumpjumper came out. Theoretically bikes and hikers can have the same impact, in reality hikers don't skid their boots going downhill, nor do they cause the same damage on wet trails that a bike does. You can pretty much see it if you compare any trail that is hiker only, vs bike and/or hiker in the same area. The bike trail requires way more maintenance than the hiker trail. They could allow more accesson on old Fire roads where the surface is sufficiently stable to not have that issue, but then since they would all be shared used trails you would have the conflicts of bike going at speeds that would be dangerous for how busy those trails are. Don't know about those 'other' parks, but Banff and Jasper certainly don't need more traffic, they are already overloaded during the summer months.

A pair of boots does as much damage as a Pair of tires when its wet.

Hikers tend to wander off the trail thus have more impact on the area.

Going downhill on a bike can cause more erosion for sure but doesn't have to if proper riding skills are used.....

I have been building trails for many years and have read quite a few studies on the subject. In reality it is all about how the trail is built.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your question did not refer to resorts, but you are correct.
most lifts run on hydro not fossil fuels....

Anyway i am all about burnin fuel, but i also enjoy the peace and quiet of ski touring in the parks. It is amazing feeling to get to the top of a peak under your own power.

Well thats good, cause Hydro power has no impact on the environment....lmfao I don't think they are opening the park to sledding any time soon any ways.

But if I were king of the world.....

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight west of sunshine village is a huge area that would be sled heaven. But we are saving it for somebody. Not sure who or when or why but if ever get the 3 months left to live talk from the doctors I'll be the first one in!

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Straight west of sunshine village is a huge area that would be sled heaven. But we are saving it for somebody. Not sure who or when or why but if ever get the 3 months left to live talk from the doctors I'll be the first one in!

Make sure I know when this goes down as I want to unleash some HP in that area some day. :D

Eldereldo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure I know when this goes down as I want to unleash some HP in that area some day. :D

why, just because you can't? I'd be way more down with having access to the Spray Valley, way closer to Calgary and just as good snow. And long history of exploitation for timber so not such a pristine environment.

Top Bottom