Burn Less Oil!!!

Beekeeper

Reaction score
This is a thread that I got from Arcticchat. I did it to my 06 Sabrecat 700 and my 07 M8. Works Fantastic!!

Attachments

• Burn Less Oil.doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 270

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive ran inti this topic last season and a few of us wondered the same thing. one thing we thought of was the type of oil being used! ive noticed that every brand of oil has diffrent viscocities, thus could change the oil consumption from one to the next! dons told me to turn it down, but for the price of oil vs a new motor i left things alone.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I adjusted my Crossfire back in 06. It was awful rich from the factory. Everyone kept asking me why my NEW sled was smoking so much. My ZR 800 was using less oil than the 600 CF! I'm up to three turns out as I just did another one recently. I'm happy with this. Most of the Cats since about 06 have been really rich. Many, many people have turned the oil pump down. I must stress though that the odd one was coming out OK so be careful to monitor usage before doing this. Some have theorized that Cat turned up the oilers to prevent warranty claims and keep cash in the bank. A funny way to boost shareholder value :rolleyes:. Monitor your oil usage in a variety of conditions and go from there.

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder if the 09 m8 is set up rich i have a new 1 and have not run it yet , you would think they would be leaned out a bit to keep up with the other cleaner burning 2 strokes on the market, but i guess warranty costs these manufactures a lot of money when a motor heads south and we pay for oil anyway so for them i guess its a win win situation seeing as they want you to by there oil at higher cost . any 1 no if cat would void warranty on a new machine if you dont run cat oil in it .. i have wondered about this but never asked because ive always run cat oil but considering changing after i use up the 2 cases i already have...:)

fyi after posting this i read in the latest snow tech magazine the 09 m8 are leaned back by 20% as compared to 08 m8 , good stuff less oil :d

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i stress the fact that oil is very cheap in comparision. spark plugs are very cheap in comparision. the time it takes to intentionaly tamper with millions in engineering and proven reliabilty is very expensive......in comparision..
there rant is over

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree with you there , i would probly not attempt any such thing unless cat actualy said it was a good idea , i have cats only and have noticed my kids 03 f5 in mint shape with under 800 miles on it uses more oil than any other machine i have ever seen it will foul plugs if your not into the throttle, poor starts , this does kinda suck, payin 4 oil dosent bug me at all but to rich isnt the best either like clobbered up sticky power valves and plugs , oil oozing out of the pipe ,loss of performance and just simply waisting oil!!! all my cats use more oil than any of my buddies that are running the doos and polaris i definitly believe it is to prevent warranty issues ,like i said b4 we pay for the oil they pay if your motor shits the bed not to hard to figure it out we pay for the extra cat insurance at $70 a jug ive got a x cat mechanic of 10+ years workin 4 me on my rig and thats what he sais xtra insurance , but if your having issues he sais you can safely dial oil down if you are capable, he is goona do my f5 for me so i will see what the outcome will be ... my :rant::rant.. :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:is over

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i stress the fact that oil is very cheap in comparision. spark plugs are very cheap in comparision. the time it takes to intentionaly tamper with millions in engineering and proven reliabilty is very expensive......in comparision..
there rant is over

A little gun-shy there Rusty. Cat has been slowly leaning the oil AND fuel out since 06. Many, many people have turned the oil pump down without issue. But hey....it's whatever YOU are comfortable with and decide is acceptable risk.

Waxy

Reaction score
My '05 M7 was running about 20:1 calculated from the factory. There's safe, and then there's ridiculous.

Three turns put me between 28:1 and 30:1 depending on conditions, which is where I left it on the advice of Kelsey at RKT. Increased performance, less slobbering oil in the airbox, less smoke, lower oil bills, and still VERY safe.

Waxy

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was that three turns in or tighten or right or left ? my kids 03 f5 firecat uses the almost the whole oil tank in 1 tank of fuel now thats rididulous and slobbers oil when idling :)

Beekeeper

Reaction score
once your have confirmed your consumption, lengthing the rod each complete turn increases your ratio by about 9:1. I have lenghtened the rod on my 07 M8 2 complete turns and I run away where from 48-52:1. No more concerns about running out of oil or fouled plugs.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
once your have confirmed your consumption, lengthing the rod each complete turn increases your ratio by about 9:1. I have lenghtened the rod on my 07 M8 2 complete turns and I run away where from 48-52:1. No more concerns about running out of oil or fouled plugs.

Many have seen varying ratio changes on a turn out so 9:1 might be for your sled, but not everyone elses. Some 5:1 some 8:1 some 10:1. You MUST monitor your own usage and go from there. I did a rough estimate after my last ride and looks to be about 48:1....I'm happy at 3 turns out on my 06 Crossfire 600 but will continue to monitor in a variety of riding conditions. Remember that oils of different types/manufacturers will flow differently as temps drop so that too will effect ratio.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wonder if the 09 m8 is set up rich i have a new 1 and have not run it yet , you would think they would be leaned out a bit to keep up with the other cleaner burning 2 strokes on the market, but i guess warranty costs these manufactures a lot of money when a motor heads south and we pay for oil anyway so for them i guess its a win win situation seeing as they want you to by there oil at higher cost . any 1 no if cat would void warranty on a new machine if you dont run cat oil in it .. i have wondered about this but never asked because ive always run cat oil but considering changing after i use up the 2 cases i already have...:)

fyi after posting this i read in the latest snow tech magazine the 09 m8 are leaned back by 20% as compared to 08 m8 , good stuff less oil :d

By law no manufacturer can make you use there oil. Warranty cannot be voided if you choose to use another oil as long as it meets specifications...which almost all do.

Top Bottom